Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Whitten Oval Online Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm all about the Zaine appreciation as well - he's had a great career - but are we seriously saying he is a player who we were desperate to retain who left?

Every selection thread in his last season was all "drop Zaine" + "Zaine is hopeless" type stuff...

The answer to the 'OTHER' (than Dunks) good players we've lost under Bevo is:

- Stringer.
    - Hunter
    - Lipinski (debatable)
    - Adams (got injured so everyone forgets)
    - Hamling (was covered up in family stuff so all forgiven)
    Stringer debatable - great talent poor output
    Hunter - agree
    Lippa debatable
    Adams - nothing Special
    Hamling - Couldn’t be helped
    Roughead- I didn’t like losing him.

We are no different than every other club
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stringer debatable - great talent poor output
    Hunter - agree
    Lippa debatable
    Adams - nothing Special
    Hamling - Couldn?t be helped
    Roughead- I didn?t like losing him.

We are no different than every other club
    Well assuming Smith's about to jilt us, how many clubs have watched two quality young mids on the cusp of their career primes bolt for the exit in fairly short succession?

And while we're debating whether Lipinski's any good he's happily dangling his premiership medallion.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Well assuming Smith's about to jilt us, how many clubs have watched two quality young mids on the cusp of their career primes bolt for the exit in fairly short succession?

And while we're debating whether Lipinski's any good he's happily dangling his premiership medallion.
    Urgh it is going to bite. Woofers tend to focus on what Lipinski can't do, i like what he can. We should have kept him.

4. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Urgh it is going to bite. Woofers tend to focus on what Lipinski can't do, i like what he can. We should have kept him.
    If only someone could work on a gameplan that maximised the player strengths.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes G-Mo77, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Smith leaves.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Smith leaves.
    Can you think of a good reason he hasn't signed yet? Even the CEO has less faith than you BAD!

Never has a player been more gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Can you think of a goid reason he hasn't signed yet? Even the CEO has less faith than you BAD!
    I don't concede anything till he makes a decision

Post Thanks / Like

I don't concede anything till he makes a decision
    Fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely the expansion clubs. North I guess? Adelaide but with defenders?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Definitely the expansion clubs. North I guess? Adelaide but with defenders?
    Lovely. North and the sorry-arse transplants whose sole purpose is to incubate talent til it discovers it's 'homesick'.

We're in magnificent company, and an increasingly apt landing spot for the Brambles, Bakers and Harmeses of the world.

Indeed, give us your tired, your poor, your huddled list-cloggers yearning to hear their names on selection night, the wretched refuse of your extended bench. Send these, the one-paced ball-butchers to our list boss, for he lifts his lamp and a book full of Highpoint shopping vouchers beside the Barkly Street gate ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

"Only two?"
    - GWS

Collingwood effectively lost 5x first round picks in a single trade period 2 years before they won a flag.

Let's not forget Brisbane's 2 years of madness where they lost 5x players who were all 1st and 2nd round picks.

We're likely losing 2 first rounder this year (Smith & Buss)... but we did pick up 2 first rounder last year. Swings and roundabouts.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    "Only two?"
    - GWS

Collingwood effectively lost 5x first round picks in a single trade period 2 years before they won a flag.

Let's not forget Brisbane's 2 years of madness where they lost 5x players who were all 1st and 2nd round picks.

We're likely losing 2 first rounder this year (Smith & Buss)... but we did pick up 2 first rounder last year. Swings and roundabouts.
    Less than convinced we're truly comparing apples with apples here but look fair enough, having core, 25-and-under types we've drafted and developed wanting to play their best football somewhere else is probably fine and might actually guarantee us a flag in 2 years.

Can't wait to meet the new regime that makes it happen.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Less than convinced we're truly comparing apples with apples here but look fair enough, having core, 25-and-under types we've drafted and developed wanting to play their best football somewhere else is probably fine and might actually guarantee us a flag in 2 years.

Can't wait to meet the new regime that makes it happen.
    Ignoring the sarcasm, how many supporters did Bailey Smith have when he was actually playing, especially his kicking?
    I'd love to keep him but is he a "must" as a mid, considering in the past few years he's played 2 good games as a mid and a heap of good football as a high-half forward where he no longer wants to play?

Since 2021 he's been roasted constantly here.

If I recall correctly we lost a coach, captain and CEO in a single month in 2014. 2 years is a long time in football.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ignoring the sarcasm, how many supporters did Bailey Smith have when he was actually playing, especially his kicking?
    I'd love to keep him but is he a "must" as a mid, considering in the past few years he's played 2 good games as a mid and a heap of good football as a high-half forward where he no longer wants to play?

If I recall correctly we lost a coach, captain and CEO in a single month in 2014. 2 years is a long time in football.
    Still only 23 and can play

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, all salient points and I've enthusiastically donned the chef's hat for said roasting ... but it's less about Baz individually - even though his pacy line breaking and occasional taste for hard tackling are elements we're gagging for more of - it's that fact we're pumping 5+ years into draftees while blooding them in roles of high need then being spurned by them as they're about to mature as finished products.

Baz is infuriating as a footballer and frankly hard to warm to in general but as a 'type' he's absolutely the kind of asset clubs want to, and need to keep.

So again, assuming he's out the door, why can't we stop these blokes from defecting?
    BORDERLINE FLYING