Thanks Thanks:  244
Likes Likes:  1,427
Page 34 of 135 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Weird this is even a conversation.

Try to hurt our players when you're getting smashed, damn right you need someone to enforce the fact you're a bit of a tool.

The fact that it's one of our best players is even better. He wins the mind game and he wins the actual game.

I generally don't have a real opinion on Ziebell one way or the other - he's like North the club, vanilla and forgettable - but I'm happy that we can be 100 points up and our guys will still fight for their mates.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The insidious thing at the core of Brereton's idiocy is you'd suspect he'd have little issue with Baz being lippy if he hadn't been open about his personal struggles, which apparently forfeits his right to play the way he does.

Brereton's not really decrying being mouthy or hyper-competitive, he's low-key sniping a young player for expressing vulnerability because it's at odds with Derm's toxic, f***ked up hard-man 'code'.

The world's moved on Derm, go start a podcast you tedious relic.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh go Bailey.
    Media Dermie doing what Dermie does stir.
    Hypocrite and arrogant and could play.
    Ziebell assaulted Cloke and made a career crashing violently into unprotected opponents whilst they mark.
    A thug probably encouraged by Scott.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The insidious thing at the core of Brereton's idiocy is you'd suspect he'd have little issue with Baz being lippy if he hadn't been open about his personal struggles, which apparently forfeits his right to play the way he does.

Brereton's not really decrying being mouthy or hyper-competitive, he's low-key sniping a young player for expressing vulnerability because it's at odds with Derm's toxic, f***ked up hard-man 'code'.

Nailed it RS.

He has referenced Bailey's openness with his mental health issues because it clearly diminishes him in Dermott's eyes, and means he can't possibly act in a way that doesn't conform with the stigma that he's applied to him for showing vulnerability as a "man".

Just an average human.

I'd be happy for the club to maybe ask for a please explain regarding this part of his comments.

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Good call.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Nailed it RS.

He has referenced Bailey's openness with his mental health issues because it clearly diminishes him in Dermott's eyes, and means he can't possibly act in a way that doesn't conform with the stigma that he's applied to him for showing vulnerability as a "man".

Just an average human.

I'd be happy for the club to maybe ask for a please explain regarding this part of his comments.
    Yeah it's because of people exactly like him (and there are many in the footballing world) that we still have persistent issues with mental health, racism, sexism etc. The worst part is, these sorts think they get it. It's their ignorance that is the problem. I'll never forget Mick Molloy's response to a caller on MMM regarding sexism. In his attempt to "stick up" for women, he was sexist in the process. Oh and then there's Eddie and Sam Newman.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Nailed it RS.

Just an average human.

Bevo has a history of being very protective of his charges, notably on this topic, and a tendency to file things for later reference.

His next presser might be interesting.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me its a trickier one.

When I see players from other teams get in our players' faces after a mark or goal - it really annoys me.

There's no doubting that Bailey Smith is a serial 'offender' in this regard - but obviously I also liking him playing on the edge.

That it comes from Dermott, and that he referenced the mental health stuff - takes away from the credibility of the discussion.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Just thought since Dermott is going all "Won't somebody think of the children" I should check back what his history on Toby Greene is like.

I've only bothered to go back to 2017 using the search terms "Dermott Brereton Toby Greene".

After Toby Greene got done for two weeks for jumper punching Alex Rance Dermott said in this article that:

(Which is a very weird definition of a dirty player btw and also exactly fits all of Toby's later incidents)

and

So no proper condemning his behaviour, just that he thinks Toby will need to grow out of it at some stage. And he's right, those damn do gooders have always turned around and judged innocently competitive guys like Toby in a dim light. Can't they see that he just hates losing?

Regardless, maybe Dermott will show a different vantage point in this article after a certain Luke D...no that's too obvious...L Dahlhaus got kicked in the face, and then a few weeks later a bunch of Swans kept running into Toby's boots for like no reason.

Ah I see, if the umpires don't call it it's all in the spirit of the game. I expect the umpiring department will be coming out any day now to declare Bailey's actions should have resulted in a free due to "failure to uphold the games spirit".

Oh well surely this article published days after Greene got himself suspended for a Prelim for eye gouging in two finals in a row will clarify Dermotts position better.

He's right, Toby was just trying to put the opposition at unease. Sticking his fingers in key players eyes two weeks in a row is fine, just as long as he doesn't rake them in the process. Oh and the fact he didn't put his fingers in the players mouth and pull also demonstrates how he showed an appropriate duty of care. I wish Bailey restrained himself when he furiously stepped over Brad Sheppard.

Anyway just glad Dermott is holding Bailey to account for stepping over a player confidently and getting in the face of an absolute cheap shot merchant (who plays for a club that has repetitively gone the niggle at every opportunity including in the exact game he was referring to). Definitely can't see any inconsistency in Dermott's opinions, all I see is two players, one who just plays on the edge, hates losing and is continually judged in a dim light by a bunch of "do gooders" while performing in the umpire endorsed "spirit of the game", and another who solely punches down and loves to belittle "good citizens of our sport" despite having admitted to mental health issues that rule him ineligible for that kind of behaviour.
    Yep. This is what the kids call being "pwned"

Post Thanks / Like

You have to think that it's Bailey's openness about his mental health issues that let Dermott be comfortable about calling him out for perceived hypocrisy while having no problem with the dirtiest prick in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    For me its a trickier one.

When I see players from other teams get in our players' faces after a mark or goal - it really annoys me.

There's no doubting that Bailey Smith is a serial 'offender' in this regard - but obviously I also liking him playing on the edge.

That it comes from Dermott, and that he referenced the mental health stuff - takes away from the credibility of the discussion.
    Same here. And if that's what Bailey was doing I wouldn't support it. But the context has been lost in all of this, as is so often the case these days.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Same here. And if that's what Bailey was doing I wouldn't support it. But the context has been lost in all of this, as is so often the case these days.
    You haven't seen Bailey do this?

Post Thanks / Like

I like how in the minds of Dermie and his ilk everyone was a complete reprobate during their playing days and he wasn't an outlier as an arsehole who hit and stood on peoples faces.

The common catch cry is that "people know they can give lip without consequences", as if anyone who mouthed off in yesteryear's game got whacked for it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah it's because of people exactly like him (and there are many in the footballing world) that we still have persistent issues with mental health, racism, sexism etc. The worst part is, these sorts think they get it. It's their ignorance that is the problem. I'll never forget Mick Molloy's response to a caller on MMM regarding sexism. In his attempt to "stick up" for women, he was sexist in the process. Oh and then there's Eddie and Sam Newman.
    I'd just about forgotten him. Now I'll have to rub him out of my mind again.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.