Thanks Thanks:  241
Likes Likes:  1,385
Page 61 of 130 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable with that interview.
    Can't quite pin down why but feels off.
    I feel the opposite. Different folks different strokes.

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Deleted
    Too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    On an unrelated note I do recall Bailey spending a fair chunk of time post-grand final on the Gold Coast with Billy Gowers.
    Billy Gowers. An another Xavier alumni.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable with that interview.
    Can't quite pin down why but feels off.
    I also think its uncomfortable.

The statement the club and Bailey put out in the immediate aftermath was sufficient and did a pretty good job of sucking the oxygen from the story.

This feels very "let's turn this loss into a win", and I think its going to go down badly with most of the football public.

A front page story detailing your demons and how you have overcome adversity released literally 24 hours after the story even breaks is very PR, and its very hard for people to get on board with a comeback when there hasn't even really been anything to visibly comeback from.

I mean hes the most privileged looking kid going round, and has done everything he can to embrace the spotlight. The only sanction he looks like facing from this is maybe an extra 2 weeks suspended. Still gets to keep his sponsorships, his celebrity, his job, his big contract. He's a pretty hard person to feel sympathetic for, even believing his mental struggles. To have to read the front page article about his issues and how don't worry he's already beaten them and then the impending commentator lovefest for him would not be exciting many people I think.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Likes chef, Grantysghost, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    On an unrelated note I do recall Bailey spending a fair chunk of time post-grand final on the Gold Coast with Billy Gowers.
    Hence the Collingwood fan having a friendly 'chat' with Bailey about his break, and Bailey's reaction
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a difficult conversation to have on TV when coaches are being asked about the illicit drugs policy but I shrug my shoulders a bit when I hear responses about players receiving more education.
    The players receive a lot more education on the pitfalls of drugs than the vast majority of society. They also know it could cost their job and that it can represent a serious challenge to their health but I get the feeling that it isn't a genuine deterrent for them.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I don't think it's a lack of education as the coaches and AFL seem to think.
    Coaches are never going to say it should be an automatic 6 to 8 week holiday for the first strike.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Throwing the book at people has never been a deterrent in society, so I hardly think it will ever be a deterrent in the AFL.

The conservative approach the likes of Kennett want to adopt will just result in players (and let's face it, clubs) go to even more extraordinary lengths to avoid detection than they already probably do.

The less we hear from his ilk, and the more we hear from health professionals the better. Our society is so anti-expert these days, it drives me mad.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is, society at large hasn’t figured out how to play this. Many, many people take that stuff relatively regularly with no issue. Many take it and it ruins their life. Big punishment for dealing/trafficking, small (none?) for using.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish he had just released the apology and then went to ground. Does he think News Corp has his back? If so, super naive.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

13. Likes josie, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Throwing the book at people has never been a deterrent in society, so I hardly think it will ever be a deterrent in the AFL.

The conservative approach the likes of Kennett want to adopt will just result in players (and let's face it, clubs) go to even more extraordinary lengths to avoid detection than they already probably do.

The less we hear from his ilk, and the more we hear from health professionals the better. Our society is so anti-expert these days, it drives me mad.
    Interestingly Kennett was one person who visited Lake in rehab.
    I don't mind Kennett having a say. He's done a lot of work in this area.
    Agree re punishment. Check out the Norwegian system. 21 years is max term, the prisons are more like rehab clinics.

They actually want to help people be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Thing is, society at large hasn’t figured out how to play this. Many, many people take that stuff relatively regularly with no issue. Many take it and it ruins their life. Big punishment for dealing/trafficking, small (none?) for using.
    Depends where you live. Welcome to China.

I've seen a lot of videos of Bailey doing some great work in clinics at primary schools.
    Such a pity a lot of that will be undone, reputation wise.

Is the AFL system just encouraging players with the idea that it's ok as long as you don't get caught?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Agree and Disagree with that. It depends on the country.
    Singapore and China, examples of what worked for them. But would never work in Australia and I wouldn't want their penal system. A human life is not the same here and their drugs problem gets morphed into a human rights problem.
    Western countries imported copious amounts of drugs to these societies and that's what they needed to get things on track.
    Penalties are definitely a deterrent in China.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the problem, which hasn't really been addressed is, why is the current generation (not just footballers) so damn mentally fragile? So much so that they can't take any form of stress, criticism or set back.

The two generations before me had every reason to suffer from mental fragility, and some did. Two world wars and a massive depression saw that almost everybody was touched by really difficult circumstances. And yet they, in the main, coped. Alcohol was the drug of choice for some, and no doubt it ruined lives. However, those generations did not exhibit the general levels of angst and self-absorption that we see in society today.

Personally, I believe that we need a hard assessment of why. And what has suddenly become so different, that our current millennial generation has so little resilience to the slings and arrows which are a part of normal life. Once we can establish the reasons and change society, we can go some way to addressing the causes of mental health issues. Until then we are only treating the victims (such a modern word) symptoms of societies maladies.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Part of the problem, which hasn't really been addressed is, why is the current generation (not just footballers) so damn mentally fragile? So much so that they can't take any form of stress, criticism or set back.

The two generations before me had every reason to suffer from mental fragility, and some did. Two world wars and a massive depression saw that almost everybody was touched by really difficult circumstances. And yet they, in the main, coped. Alcohol was the drug of choice for some, and no doubt it ruined lives. However, those generations did not exhibit the general levels of angst and self-absorption that we see in society today.

Personally, I believe that we need a hard assessment of why. And what has suddenly become so different, that our current millennial generation has so little resilience to the slings and arrows which are a part of normal life. Once we can establish the reasons and change society, we can go some way to addressing the causes of mental health issues. Until then we are only treating the victims (such a modern word) symptoms of societies maladies.
    The internet.

20. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

Here are some reasons according to a study

• Increased parental pressures
    • Increased adoption of electronic media (Electronic Screen Syndrome)
    • Increased performance pressures (education, career, financial, etc.)
    • Increased terrorist events and threats
    • Increase in divisive news
    • Dramatic increase in violent TV programs, movies, and video games
    • Dramatic increase in graphic children’s media
    • Increase in sexually explicit material (TV programs, movies, video games, easy access online, etc.)
    • Social media pressure
    • Reduced face-to-face interactions and social supports
    • The breakdown of the family unit
    • Sexual orientation confusion
    • Gender confusion
    • Being exposed to a multitude of opinions (on TV and online)
    • Being exposed to aggressive behavior (a dramatic rise in child abuse, adult abuse, sexual abuse, etc.)
    • Poor/reduced sleep
    • Increased financial pressure on parents
    • Reduced parental contact - children are prematurely separating from parents and families, and bonding to peers
    • Easy access to, and the acceptance of, recreational drugs (of all types)
    • Overly protected/indulged children
    • Reduced expectations for young adults
    • The ‘I’ generation (where everyone believes they are entitled to whatever they want, from opinions to lifestyle choices, and whenever and however they want it)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.