Thanks Thanks:  241
Likes Likes:  1,385
Page 62 of 130 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Part of the problem, which hasn't really been addressed is, why is the current generation (not just footballers) so damn mentally fragile? So much so that they can't take any form of stress, criticism or set back.

The two generations before me had every reason to suffer from mental fragility, and some did. Two world wars and a massive depression saw that almost everybody was touched by really difficult circumstances. And yet they, in the main, coped. Alcohol was the drug of choice for some, and no doubt it ruined lives. However, those generations did not exhibit the general levels of angst and self-absorption that we see in society today.

Personally, I believe that we need a hard assessment of why. And what has suddenly become so different, that our current millennial generation has so little resilience to the slings and arrows which are a part of normal life. Once we can establish the reasons and change society, we can go some way to addressing the causes of mental health issues. Until then we are only treating the victims (such a modern word) symptoms of societies maladies.
    I get why there has been a sharp increase with MH numbers especially there is more temptation in society but the part I struggle understanding is why it's somewhat accepted that people, and especially athletes, turn to illicit drug use to cope with these challenges.
    Many articles online reference Beyond Blue etc if people are struggling with MH, there is plenty of education, public awareness and many companies even have employee assistance programs in place.
    For a footballer there is a fair bit of support in place, plenty of education on the risks of gambling, alcohol and drugs, player managers they can turn to and access to medical professionals so with all that in place I don't get the illicit drug taking and why it's somewhat accepted.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Part of the problem, which hasn't really been addressed is, why is the current generation (not just footballers) so damn mentally fragile? So much so that they can't take any form of stress, criticism or set back.

The two generations before me had every reason to suffer from mental fragility, and some did. Two world wars and a massive depression saw that almost everybody was touched by really difficult circumstances. And yet they, in the main, coped. Alcohol was the drug of choice for some, and no doubt it ruined lives. However, those generations did not exhibit the general levels of angst and self-absorption that we see in society today.

Personally, I believe that we need a hard assessment of why. And what has suddenly become so different, that our current millennial generation has so little resilience to the slings and arrows which are a part of normal life. Once we can establish the reasons and change society, we can go some way to addressing the causes of mental health issues. Until then we are only treating the victims (such a modern word) symptoms of societies maladies.
    Are people more fragile or is it that people talk about their mental health and it's a subject better understood in the wider community and in academia?

PS Bailey is not a Millennial. Youngest Millennials are nearly 30 now. Oldest ones are 40ish. Zoomers are the ones who must be hated for their youth now.

3. Likes jeemak, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get why there has been a sharp increase with MH numbers especially there is more temptation in society but the part I struggle understanding is why it's somewhat accepted that people, and especially athletes, turn to illicit drug use to cope with these challenges.
    Many articles online reference Beyond Blue etc if people are struggling with MH, there is plenty of education, public awareness and many companies even have employee assistance programs in place.
    For a footballer there is a fair bit of support in place, plenty of education on the risks of gambling, alcohol and drugs, player managers they can turn to and access to medical professionals so with all that in place I don't get the illicit drug taking and why it's somewhat accepted.
    Maybe because drugs make you feel good and counseling etc doesn't (at least not in the short term necessarily). People have been taking drugs about as long as there have been people so it's easier said than done to just stop it from happening (especially younger people)

5. Likes chef, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe because drugs make you feel good and counseling etc doesn't (at least not in the short term necessarily). People have been taking drugs about as long as there have been people so it's easier said than done to just stop it from happening (especially younger people)
    With the older generation, people didn't talk about mental health issues, especially men, so nothing was done about it. People now are more open and don't see it as a stigma and are not afraid to seek help.

Back when I was growing up, people thought anyone with a mental illness were just weirdos, or nut cases. Things are much better now and support is also better.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read Japan is punishing cyber bullying with a year in the clink.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/14/asia/...cli/index.html

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    With the older generation, people didn't talk about mental health issues, especially men, so nothing was done about it. People now are more open and don't see it as a stigma and are not afraid to seek help.

Back when I was growing up, people thought anyone with a mental illness were just weirdos, or nut cases. Things are much better now and support is also better.
    It's so true. My late father suffered silently through a mountain of trauma and when he relinquished control of his mind it was uncontrollably released over his final years.

He was one of the first on the scene at the West Gate Bridge accident and never spoke of the things he saw and did; including pulling significantly injured people from the mud.

Talk folks if you've got an issue. It's so important.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is any supporting evidence that may suggest this has anything to do with the new generation being more 'mentally fragile' or having 'little resistance to the slings and arrows that are a part of normal life' than previous generations.

I suspect it's more that previous generations suffered in silence, or that when they went off the rails there was no connection made to earlier trauma. We know even today there is a social stigma attached to mental health issues, which in my mind makes those willing to step up and acknowledge their issues remarkably brave.

Even reading accounts of veterans from conflicts as far back as WW1 and WW2, we know they suffered, and mainly suffered their trauma's in silence or drowned them out in alcohol, drugs violence and suicide.

Even so called normal life, people are in the modern day, retrospectively acknowledging that they suffered their condition in silence.
    I recall an episode of 'Open Mike' with Ken Hunter where he detailed the horrifying anxiety and depression he suffered from, and how he largely kept it to himself out of fear of the response from his teammates, coaches and family. He also threw out there something about how many others there were like him: players who suddenly seemed to lose their ability and form, and just drifted out of the game, with people wondering 'gee what happened to so and so, he could've been anything...'

Nothing I've observed in the younger generation makes me believe that they're any less resilient, or fragile, or unable to cope with the rigors of normal life than the generations preceding them. I think they're to be commended for breaking the stupid taboos that have constrained previous generations from being able to open up and be honest about this debilitating medical issue.

As for the use of illicit substances. Yes they're very well educated about the impacts, dangers and professional consequences of taking them, but if you're not well mentally, I think its safe to say you're not going to be making the same rational decisions on things as someone who is mentally on top of their game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I don't think there is any supporting evidence that may suggest this has anything to do with the new generation being more 'mentally fragile' or having 'little resistance to the slings and arrows that are a part of normal life' than previous generations.

I suspect it's more that previous generations suffered in silence, or that when they went off the rails there was no connection made to earlier trauma. We know even today there is a social stigma attached to mental health issues, which in my mind makes those willing to step up and acknowledge their issues remarkably brave.

Even reading accounts of veterans from conflicts as far back as WW1 and WW2, we know they suffered, and mainly suffered their trauma's in silence or drowned them out in alcohol, drugs violence and suicide.

Even so called normal life, people are in the modern day, retrospectively acknowledging that they suffered their condition in silence.
    I recall an episode of 'Open Mike' with Ken Hunter where he detailed the horrifying anxiety and depression he suffered from, and how he largely kept it to himself out of fear of the response from his teammates, coaches and family. He also threw out there something about how many others there were like him: players who suddenly seemed to lose their ability and form, and just drifted out of the game, with people wondering 'gee what happened to so and so, he could've been anything...'

Nothing I've observed in the younger generation makes me believe that they're any less resilient, or fragile, or unable to cope with the rigors of normal life than the generations preceding them. I think they're to be commended for breaking the stupid taboos that have constrained previous generations from being able to open up and be honest about this debilitating medical issue.

As for the use of illicit substances. Yes they're very well educated about the impacts, dangers and professional consequences of taking them, but if you're not well mentally, I think its safe to say you're not going to be making the same rational decisions on things as someone who is mentally on top of their game.
    Did you read post #915? I have a link to a study

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Did you read post #915? I have a link to a study
    Yes I did, and my question is, and wasn't addressed in the linked article: How do we know they're suffering more than previous generations? Its all good and well to say these are the list of things that are impacting mental illness today, but as for benchmarking against prior generations levels, there's nothing in there to make the claim. How are they capable of saying mental illness has risen? We do know that reporting of mental illness in earlier time wasn't as rigorous, and that many people didn't feel comfortable, or in many cases weren't aware they were suffering from a mental illness.

I think we could equally draw up a compelling list of environmental factors unique to prior generations that today's generations don't have to consider.
    Maybe its worse today, maybe its not, the article certainly doesn't provide any data to support the claim.

14. Likes soupman, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My take is that any major perceived difference in the different generations mental health issues stems from us now being better at recognising it and encouraging people to address it. So basically YHFs take.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Yes I did, and my question is, and wasn't addressed in the linked article: How do we know they're suffering more than previous generations? Its all good and well to say these are the list of things that are impacting mental illness today, but as for benchmarking against prior generations levels, there's nothing in there to make the claim. How are they capable of saying mental illness has risen? We do know that reporting of mental illness in earlier time wasn't as rigorous, and that many people didn't feel comfortable, or in many cases weren't aware they were suffering from a mental illness.

I think we could equally draw up a compelling list of environmental factors unique to prior generations that today's generations don't have to consider.
    Maybe its worse today, maybe its not, the article certainly doesn't provide any data to support the claim.
    It's a tricky one, and as you say difficult to answer.

Certainly things like World wars have effected thousands of soldiers returning to Australia after seeing horrific things, which we don't have today (not to that extent anyway) - just one of the difference in the past

Great to have the much better support mechanism that wasn't available before.

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Club has a number of outstanding Officials to assist players like Bailey Smith and Lachie Hunter overcome their current difficulties.
    Our President, Kylie Watson-Wheeler is the Senior Vice President and MD of the Walt Disney Company, Australia and NZ.
    CEO, Ameet Bains, is highly regarded and in his former role as Head of Recruitment at St. Kilda, would be fully aware of the pressures placed on League Players today with the huge scrutiny into their private lives given the amount of dubious press today.
    Together with Luke Beveridge, Luke Darcy as Football Director and Chris Grant as Manager of Football Operations, all have sound football credentials in dealing with all areas of welfare in ensuring the best possible care is provided.
    With Club is in very good shape with a record all time high of 48,000 members with stage 2 of the VU Whitten Oval Redevelopment under way. Our number 1 ticket holder, Alan Johnstone, a successful business Leader over many years ,which has seen him donate a new car each year, in the Bulldogs major Fundraising raffle. The long standing Major Donor, Mission Foods together with other key sponsors has given the Western Bulldogs integrity and credibility.
    The sponsorship of Victoria University has seen a number of our players engage in Higher Education studies in their preparation for life after League Football. These Good News stories sadly are rarely published.

Post Thanks / Like

Article by Matt Stokes (sic) about Bailey and when Stokes was exposed for cocaine use.
    Let me know if firewalled:
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p5au3p.html
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 16-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.

20. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s officially two weeks for bringing the game into disrepute.
    WOOF Member 422

22. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    It’s officially two weeks for bringing the game into disrepute.
    So it's a 4 week break for Smith. I think he got his correct whack.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"