Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 131 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3181121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137 LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2046
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Smith is a better player than Garcia, West and Gags.
    And he’s a marketing dream for a small club.

Keep him.

I think the balance on what we pay him is tricky. We don’t want to lose blokes like Ed Richards etc when they’re up for contract cause we don’t have the $. I think we can afford the “stars” but don’t want to lose the next rungs
    I'd rather we keep Richards than Smith.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, mjp, EasternWest, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'd rather we keep Richards than Smith.
    Players like Richards are ridiculously underrated in footy IMO. Idk if it's a lack of analytics. He is awesome in his role. Maybe just me but I'd have Ed a lot of many highly rated Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Players like Richards are ridiculously underrated in footy IMO. Idk if it's a lack of analytics. He is awesome in his role. Maybe just me but I'd have Ed a lot of many highly rated Bulldogs.
    Ed's top 5 at the moment when you take into account role, age etc...

Bont is untouchable.
    Naughton, Jones and Jamarra are next.
    Richards and Weightman are next.

English is the tricky one...rucks are valued as you have to have one but a lot of clubs prefer a contested player in that role vs a running player.

You can argue the case for Liber but unfortunately there is not really a market for 30+ players. I know Jones is 30+ but key defenders are in desperate need and he is critical to us.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Mantis, SquirrelGrip, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we have moved from Jamarra to English. Rightfully so as Bailey isn’t playing and we can deal with him last when we know exactly what we can afford.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    So we have moved from Jamarra to English. Rightfully so as Bailey isn’t playing and we can deal with him last when we know exactly what we can afford.
    It's been widely reported we've offered Smith a 2 year deal. There's a rumour he's rejected it but I don't really buy that.

I'm sure Sam Power can handle multiple contract negotiations concurrently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's been widely reported we've offered Smith a 2 year deal. There's a rumour he's rejected it but I don't really buy that.

I'm sure Sam Power can handle multiple contract negotiations concurrently.
    Depends on who it is , how important they are rated , we certainly did Naughton first.
    And I would imagine you would put forward minimum contract you think they would take, then work one at a time as you need to know what movement you can get to to sign the next big name.
    To a certain extent you are dealing with a few at a time but when it gets to the nitty gritty, salary cap etc you would do one at a time.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Depends on who it is , how important they are rated , we certainly did Naughton first.
    And I would imagine you would put forward minimum contract you think they would take, then work one at a time as you need to know what movement you can get to to sign the next big name.
    To a certain extent you are dealing with a few at a time but when it gets to the nitty gritty, salary cap etc you would do one at a time.
    Naughton signed first. I doubt that means we were not at least trying to negotiate with other players. Smith's management might choose to wait but if they came to us now and said we want to talk terms on a 2 year deal Sam wouldn't say 'well right now I'm focusing on Tim English's deal so I'll get back to you in a week'.

Of course the status of these different deals probably have some impact on the stances and positions of the other players and club but right now I'd think the priority is to try and sign all 3 big name uncontracted players

10. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

‘Clear frontrunner’ for Dogs star Bailey Smith revealed as Magpies place ‘photo ban’ on trade target

Collingwood is “the clear frontrunner” to land Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith in the 2024 trade period, with Pies players copping a “photo ban” with the star.

The 23-year-old, who will miss the entire 2024 season due to an off-season ACL tear, has long been suspected as a trade target as he comes out of contract.

His enormous profile somewhat outstrips his on-field achievements but Smith is set to be a hot property with Geelong often viewed as the early top candidate for his future services.

But the No.7 pick in the 2018 draft is moving closer to pulling a reverse Adam Treloar and joining the Magpies, reports the Herald Sun’s Sam Landsberger, with firm links to the Daicos brothers - to the extent that the club has reportedly had to tell its players to stop posting so many photos with Smith.

“I think Collingwood has emerged as the clear frontrunner to secure Bailey Smith’s services next year,” Landsberger told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Wednesday night.

“We’ve all been thinking Geelong for probably 12 months, they share that sponsorship with Cotton On, we know Hawthorn would love him in their midfield as well.

“But I think it’s the Magpies who lead the race for Bailey, who we all accept has one foot out the door at Whitten Oval.

“The thought has been that the lifestyle down at Geelong is big for him - he’s a marquee man, he loves the big smoke. You know he spent the off-season in New York with all the Collingwood boys? Lots of happy snaps, he’s business partners with Nick and Josh Daicos.

“I can tell you tonight that Collingwood has told their players, no more photos with Bailey. This is getting out of hand. They sent the message out to players, no more publicity with Bailey Smith.”

Fellow reporter Scott Gullan quipped: “They’re going to the next level, they have got serious, progressed and now it’s like ‘boys, just don’t give too much away!’”

He argued Smith’s work with the clothing brand Cotton On, which has strong connections with Geelong - both the city and the football club - was a clear tie to a Cats move.

“He (Smith) travels down there a couple of times a week. He’s got a clothing range. Very close to him down there,” Gullan said.

“They’re (Cotton On) heavy hitters down there. They’re heavy hitters at that football club.”

But a move for Smith, who is about to enter his AFL prime with the 2025 season to be his seventh in the system, would fit the Magpies’ plans to trade aggressively in an attempt to remain at the top of the ladder without rebuilding.

“I spoke to Jeff Browne, the president, about where this club is heading,” Landsberger said. “And they want to defy gravity like Geelong and Sydney and stay at the top of the ladder for a very long time to come.

“And to do that, they’re going to be very aggressive in the marketplace. I think Glenn McFarlane told this show last week in coming years they could clear up around $5 million in cap space (via retirements and exits).

“Browne told me, successful clubs, they don’t drop down to the bottom of the ladder, the draft doesn’t work for them. We have to trade to improve our side ... and surely Bailey Smith is the No.1 target.

Collingwood doesn’t have its 2024 first-round pick due to the Lachie Schultz trade, and it’s thought their future first round pick would be unders as a straight swap for Smith.

“He’s done his knee, and he’s been inconsistent since that (2021) finals series,” the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark pointed out.

Landsberger suggested a future first and second could be enough to land Smith.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

So much wild speculation. It?s ridiculous. How much did they get completely wrong last year?

This speculation on all trade targets, 52 weeks of the year and especially through the middle of the season is utterly ridiculous and I care exactly zero about it.

There are way too many not very talented footy journos covering the game.

Let?s worry about it when the trade window is about to open.

13. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew this season would be hell if we weren't performing. 3 stars out of contract was always going to create a lot of noise.

Shit it's only April and we're hearing about what picks will get a deal done.

I can barely tolerate this league anymore.

15. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No first round pick? Of course Bailey will select them.

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    No first round pick? Of course Bailey will select them.
    Yeh it's Dunkley all over again.

All currency ripped away from clubs who develop players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Yeh it's Dunkley all over again.

All currency ripped away from clubs who develop players.
    The nomination bullshit.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    So much wild speculation. It?s ridiculous. How much did they get completely wrong last year?

This speculation on all trade targets, 52 weeks of the year and especially through the middle of the season is utterly ridiculous and I care exactly zero about it.

There are way too many not very talented footy journos covering the game.

Let?s worry about it when the trade window is about to open.
    Imagine getting to sit around a table with microphones and just jerk off all day. That's basically what these guys do for a living.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's disheartening to read this even though I kind of don't blame him. Who wouldn't want to play for Collingwood in front of 60k every week and live in the limelight...

... But FFS I'm sick of losing players on their terms.
    W00F!