Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 36 of 137 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Baz is a bit of a conundrum I think. While I agree that he can transition to the wing, I don't like the way he tends to run harder when we have the ball, as opposed to when the opposition have it. In contrast, I love the way Ed Richards uses his speed on the wing as a defensive weapon that makes us significantly better in defensive transition. Of course Smith (and JJ when he's on the wing) could do this, they just don't do it as well, or as often. Or at least that's how I see it.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of Baz replacing JJ who seems to have got what is required of his forward role and has been doing the defensive pressure bits of it much better over the past 4-6 weeks or so.

It's a good problem to have, and maybe we can increase some rotating between our forwards and mids if we ever get all our key mids healthy. Having both Treloar and Smith as largely outside players who can be brought into the trenches late in games and quarters could be a significant advantage (like when Treloar came into the centre-square for most of the final quarter of our first game against the Eagles).

It will be interesting if we get all of them back, because we probably lose a bit of a defensive mid-option as well that Bevo has used a bit of late. Initially McLean was rushed back in to play more of a stopper role, and now Roarke seems to be doing that a bit.
    No doubt he loses some impact on the wing. The difficult part is finding a balance if we get everyone back. At some point if we are replacing one gun mid with another it’s actually just netting off.

The others definitely can’t play wing and Smith as you say has been questionable, I still think he fills a need there if we can’t squeeze him in.

It’s possible you could roll all 6 through the middle and half forward but it’s a real juggle as you need to be at your quickest, most alert and defensively active if resting forward. This is even more important if we play 3-3.5 talls. You also have your front line mids who we want in as often as possible.

I have been involved in scenarios where you flick it around by quarter or half quarters. It just depends on your appetite for complexity with these things. I like the idea of trying to find an edge with it as you say by releasing someone into the midfield late.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this conversation.

"We have too many gun midfielders" is one of the best problems I can ever remember us having as a club. Our best football this year coincided with Treloar and Dunkley being in the side along side Macrae, Bont, Smith and Libba.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I love this conversation.

"We have too many gun midfielders" is one of the best problems I can ever remember us having as a club. Our best football this year coincided with Treloar and Dunkley being in the side along side Macrae, Bont, Smith and Libba.
    I agree with that, I think seeing Smith in a genuine midfield role has reminded us how good he is and challenges whether we can find a way to keep him off the wing.

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find Smith really frustrating at the moment, especially with his disposal. His handballing needs to be fixed, his long kicking down the line is also frustrating as he seems to turn the ball over more than he should.

Defensively, he has a lot to learn, especially when he is at the centre bounces - allowing his opponent to just run away.

I know he has been dicked around alot this year with all the midfield options we have, but he needs to be better than he has been.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Testekill, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I find Smith really frustrating at the moment, especially with his disposal. His handballing needs to be fixed, his long kicking down the line is also frustrating as he seems to turn the ball over more than he should.

Defensively, he has a lot to learn, especially when he is at the centre bounces - allowing his opponent to just run away.

I know he has been dicked around alot this year with all the midfield options we have, but he needs to be better than he has been.
    I’m with you, he’s in lala land more often than not. I think we have too many mids in the side as it is.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’m with you, he’s in lala land more often than not. I think we have too many mids in the side as it is.
    I’d make him watch the 2016 finals and tell him to replicate Clay Smith forward.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’d make him watch the 2016 finals and tell him to replicate Clay Smith forward.
    It's an interesting point, he's young his time will come why can't he play a role for us. He doesn't have to be our Peter Matera yet. He can be Phil for a while.

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's an interesting point, he's young his time will come why can't he play a role for us. He doesn't have to be our Peter Matera yet. He can be Phil for a while.
    Yep. A defined role he can focus on where his strengths can make a real difference. Phil is fine for now!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He doesn't have it in his DNA to play this role... it's either line breaking midfielder or bust.

Post Thanks / Like

He's very frustrating. Can do some amazing stuff in the contest, but if he is running with ball in hand and can't just kick long into the forwardline then I am very concerned. That kick out of defence late in the game yesterday was unsatisfactory to say the least.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    He's very frustrating. Can do some amazing stuff in the contest, but if he is running with ball in hand and can't just kick long into the forwardline then I am very concerned. That kick out of defence late in the game yesterday was unsatisfactory to say the least.
    At such a critical time, it was a diabolical decision you could see him making from a mile away. His decision making is as poor as anyone’s in the side.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet strange how he is 5th in WOOF voting. Must be some bad judges on here.

19. Likes SquirrelGrip, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At such a critical time, it was a diabolical decision you could see him making from a mile away. His decision making is as poor as anyone’s in the side.
    Truly throw the remote at the tv stuff.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yet strange how he is 5th in WOOF voting. Must be some bad judges on here.
    It just highlights the gap between his best and his worst.

Post Thanks / Like

He literally kicked it straight to Laverde, Laverde didn't even have to move to intercept it because it was straight down his throat.