Thanks Thanks:  241
Likes Likes:  1,385
Page 4 of 130 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

To top it off, he sounds like a Gen Z Easton Wood when he speaks.
    He seems the type to compliment our midfield perfectly, like Griffen he may start with stints on the HB line.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Loved the Gilly Gowers connection and Gowers' response on Smith's Instagram too (Gowers has the best account at the club, easily. Even better than his former teammate Biggsy).

"Team dinner at Maccas tomorrow night"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Great pick up. Looks a neat little player. Can’t help but picture Cooney coming out of the pack hunched over heading towards goal. Sounds like a very dedicated young lad. That will rub off on a few other people as well. Nice move Doggies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Great pick up. Looks a neat little player. Can’t help but picture Cooney coming out of the pack hunched over heading towards goal. Sounds like a very dedicated young lad. That will rub off on a few other people as well. Nice move Doggies.
    Yes I am loving the rub off prospect.
    Work ethic and passion for improvement in all aspects of being an AFL player. Thats what we want as a club culture. Out with Stringer culture, in with BS culture.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it might be a stretch. But as we know, we were apparently so adamant on keeping pick 7 this year that we weren't even prepared to lose it for Wingard. Did this indicate how much we rated Bailey?

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was the guy that got mentioned that we wanted to keep it for. It's probably a fair sign yeah
    Last edited by hujsh; 24-11-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rather Smith than Chad.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

9. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Smith can run all day and has the ability to outwork his opponents when games are on the line late in the last quarter." Matt Balmer.
    Love this characteristic. Read he practices his skills after exhausting himself running etc.So he can take advantage late in the game and get us across the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching Smith's highlights, his tackling really stood out to me.

He seems to not only want to stop blokes, but hurt them.

I like that.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Rated 3rd best in draft by Knightmare and best mid
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does he play round 1? I probably see him more forward flank than back flank to start considering mow many back flankers we have. I reckon he will get close.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith has the tools to make an immediate impact at the Western Bulldogs

BAILEY Smith’s parents drove him to Whitten Oval last Tuesday for an 11th-hour meeting with the Western Bulldogs.

Vic Metro’s best midfielder shook hands with captain Easton Wood, chatted to coach Luke Beveridge about his recent exams and congratulated Marcus Bontempelli on re-signing that morning.

Smith was already fond of fellow Xavier College schoolboy Billy Gowers and by the time he climbed into the car to go home, he felt like a Bulldog.

“There was sort of no going back for me,” Smith, who is still 17 and doesn’t have his driver’s licence, said.
    “I really wanted to become a Dog. I was just hoping I’d be coming in to see ‘The Bont’ next week as a teammate, which I will.
    “I’m so pumped and just rapt that I’m a Dog.”

The Bulldogs used their No. 7 draft pick — their earliest selection since securing Bontempelli in 2013 — on Smith.

“We were surprised he was still there,” Dogs list boss Sam Power said.
    “Bailey’s just got a massive workrate. There’s not too much he does wrong, really.

“He’s got reasonable speed, elite endurance, his touch around the ball is pretty good and he’s a good kick.”

Beveridge doesn’t waste time with his top draft picks.

Josh Dunkley played in a premiership in his first season and last year’s first-rounders — Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards — combined for 39 games.

Smith is expected to add another lick of outside class next year, joining best best-and-fairest trifecta Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Bontempelli.

“He’s also got flexibility, and that’s one of the elements with Bailey that really appeals,” Power said.
    “Long-term he’ll become a midfielder but initially he’s got the ability to play half-forward or half-back or on the wing.”

Smith — who is likely to move in with Wood until Christmas — averaged 176 SuperCoach points from his two TAC Cup games this year.

While an Achilles injury prematurely ended his year, the dedicated midfielder declared himself fit for pre-season.

The grandson of 1943 Richmond premiership player Leo Merrett is yet to crack open a beer, likes to cram in running and weights sessions most days and carefully fuels himself to maximise “brain function” and sustained energy.

As for his specialty in the kitchen?

“Eye fillet with mash and a red wine jus,” he said.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say we'll be a little cautious with him early in pre-season given his achilles injury and how hard he pushes himself. If he ramps up well over new year period, I can see him being there in rd 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Rated 3rd best in draft by Knightmare and best mid
    Also rated third best by Go_Dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Also rated third best by Go_Dogs
    So after Walsh, who was 2nd best?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.