Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 59 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Smith tackles poor choices head-on with illicit substance confession

Bailey Smith entered the AFL as a cleanskin. He has told associates he had never touched illicit drugs until October of last year, in the period following the grand final.

Only Smith can explain what precisely triggered his descent into an “illicit substance” for a period late last year. But if his history as a meticulous preparer makes his indulgence surprising, we should not be shocked that he would be captured on video and in photographs holding the bag, so to speak.

For Smith is among the absolutely most photographed and Instagrammed footballers in the game, with a social media following that dwarfs that of many clubs; his looks, hair and cool charm have seen “Bazlenka” - his social media handle - become a favourite of youth, irrespective of club or code allegiance.

Smith’s image on social platforms gives the impression of a hip, slightly edgy and confident footballer with a mullet for the ages. But the reality - as Smith has freely admitted - is that he’s a 21-year-old who has struggled with mental health issues, in the form of anxiety.

That Smith has been hoist on - not quite his own - social media petard is embarrassing for both the Bulldogs and the AFL. The former will face questions about their culture - the lot of clubs when players muck up in public (see Melbourne over the past five days), while the AFL will have their welfare-based drug policies critiqued yet again.

Last night, Smith and his camp received the positive news that clothing giant Cotton On, which uses the popular player as a brand ambassador, would retain him.

It may or may not have influenced Cotton On’s call, but it was clear that the damage to player, club and AFL had been mitigated – at least partially – by Smith’s own response, which is the strongest and most honest by any recent AFL player who has been caught in a drug imbroglio of his own making.

Smith, importantly, fessed up to his sins and he did this almost immediately, admitting to the “illicit substance”, expressing shame and vowing to improve himself. Within several hours of the still photographs of him holding the white powder (the video came later) surfacing, Smith had put out his contrite confession, in concert with the club, killing the video and photographic birds with one stone.

Smith, from what one can gather, was again having a tough time on Saturday. Those around him say that this period of post-season excess was an aberration - a window of poor choices - and that he has since rebalanced his life, stabilised and that this has been reflected in his performances on the field (notwithstanding the headbutting suspension).

The AFL will likely impose a penalty on Smith, which would be added to his two games missed for the headbutt on Zach Tuohy. If you take a line through Brad Crouch, caught in possession of drugs late in 2020 (before he left the Crows for St Kilda), Smith will get a maximum of a two-match suspension.

The penalty, in any case, is usually the damage to one’s image/reputation. In Smith’s case, this will be the part that hits hardest, having carved out a unique following that presented him with commercial opportunities.

That said, it’s not a huge call to connect the enormous following that Smith has generated, a largely organic happening on the internet, and his post-season troubles. How does such adulation impact upon a 21-year-old with anxiety issues? Best to leave that one to the mental health experts.

For the club and the AFL, it was clear that they were caught between two non-negotiables that can conflict - the necessity of taking a moral stance against the offending behaviour and the need to protect a young man with mental health vulnerabilities.

Yet ultimately, as Smith seemed to recognise, the environment and the strange cult of internet celebrity that have engulfed him cannot be used as an excuse.

For as surely as Bailey Smith has his own brand and his own fevered following, he alone owns his image - and his actions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't have kids, so this is from the cheap seats, but this is a great opportunity to talk to them about a conversation that may usually be difficult to broach and often comes after the fact/ after they've had a crack themselves.
    You’re correct, everything is a learning experience and this provides the opportunity to have conversations. I’m very lucky that I have great relationships with my kids and extended family and can talk about any topic with them. But unfortunately there are more families that can’t/don’t have these sorts of conversations. These are the ones I fear for the most.
    WOOF Member 422

4. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's also whose house he drove Lachie Hunter to after he stacked his car.
    I have also noticed on social media that Billy and Steven May are good friends.

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The CEO came out and made the club statement. Do we really need the president as well?
    It would be nice to hear anything from her, she is invisible, this might have been an opportunity for her to at least show some support for the young man.

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The CEO came out and made the club statement. Do we really need the president as well?
    I agree, the CEO statement is good enough.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    You’re correct, everything is a learning experience and this provides the opportunity to have conversations. I’m very lucky that I have great relationships with my kids and extended family and can talk about any topic with them. But unfortunately there are more families that can’t/don’t have these sorts of conversations. These are the ones I fear for the most.
    Yeah that's fair enough. I've always had a troubled understanding of idolising footballers and using them as role models. It wasn't a thing in my family, however, we were always parochial about our beloved Doggies and their personalities (my mum would turn savage apparently if anyone dared talk down Teddy back in the day).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree, the CEO statement is good enough.
    Yep just leave it to the CEO. Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

A very minor aspect in the challenges Bailey Smith is going through is the potential impacts to the contract talks he is having with us.
    The HUN has speculated, via discussions with player managers, that he will be offered somewhere between 650K to 800K per season.

He's such an impact player for us and we need to stump up the money to keep him at the club.

The short term challenges are well known and the contract talks can always wait.

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Channel 9 have reported that they believe the club first became aware of these pictures and video was about 3 days prior to it going public.
    Smith is likely to complete an additional 2 weeks suspension for this indiscretion.

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A very minor aspect in the challenges Bailey Smith is going through is the potential impacts to the contract talks he is having with us.
    The HUN has speculated, via discussions with player managers, that he will be offered somewhere between 650K to 800K per season.

He's such an impact player for us and we need to stump up the money to keep him at the club.

The short term challenges are well known and the contract talks can always wait.
    Does it alter his worth?

Clubs are so careful not to recruit anyone who has problems I'm not sure if this will have the potential to lower his value.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it alter his worth?

Clubs are so careful not to recruit anyone who has problems I'm not sure if this will have the potential to lower his value.
    Value wise there is probably minimal damage done but maybe some additional clauses could be added. It's a balancing act because if you under value him, and his form says you shouldn't do that, it opens the door for others.

If he was worth 750K per season a couple of weeks back he's still worth that now.

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be so full circle if Morris was the one who leaked it.
    Tin foil hat time - it was Sammy Power. Brutal list management.
    "Yeah, I think you should accept that lower offer now Baz"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Thanks josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Hodge. He is an ok special comments man. Seems to be mostly thoughtful and fair minded.

Post Thanks / Like

For those with access to the HUN, Smith does and interview talking through his challenges