Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't we handle the favourites tag?

Thought I'd start a thread on this.

We always to me seem to buckle every time when we go into a match as favourites like today against the Hawks or last year against the Eagles but when we are under pressure from the media like we were that week we played the Saints we seem to thrive and win.

So what is happening here? When we won the flag in 2016 we were the underdog in all this games and won.

Discuss.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why can't we handle the favourites tag?

It's a great question Easty.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think against weaker sides a lot of our star players just expect it to happen, like their big dollar reputations will cause the opponents to cower.

I think we're only ever favourites on paper. Teams have done their research and every team knows we're gettable. So we might go into games as favourites on paper, the other team lifts because they know we're weak and fragile.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread on this.

We always to me seem to buckle every time when we go into a match as favourites like today against the Hawks or last year against the Eagles but when we are under pressure from the media like we were that week we played the Saints we seem to thrive and win.

So what is happening here? When we won the flag in 2016 we were the underdog in all this games and won.

Discuss.
    I have felt this phenomenon my entire life as a Bulldogs supporter. Remeber the 1997 and 1998 prelims?

7. Likes EasternWest, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We finsished second on the ladder. We win our first final by 70 points. We get the week off.

Adelaide finish 5th and only win 13 H&A games. Adelaide lose the first week by 48 points. They beat the Swans at the SCG by 27 points.

We go into the Prelim at the MCG as raging favourites. We concede 24 goals. Andrew McLeod kicked 7 goals. 7 goals!!!!!! Matthew Robran kicked 6 goals!!!!! Crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

We finsished second on the ladder. We win our first final by 70 points. We get the week off.

Adelaide finish 5th and only win 13 H&A games. Adelaide lose the first week by 48 points. They beat the Swans at the SCG by 27 points.

We go into the Prelim at the MCG as raging favourites. We concede 24 goals. Andrew McLeod kicked 7 goals. 7 goals!!!!!! Matthew Robran kicked 6 goals!!!!! Crazy.
    Fifth and lose those days where you could do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Fifth and lose those days where you could do that.
    Yes. It is crazy.

At least in 1997 they won four finals. Even if Leigh Colbert was robbed a mark at a crucial time to get them home against Geelong.

But in both the 1997 and 1998 seasons the Adelaide Crows only won 13 games. Crazy to think you can win it twice after two seasons where you lose 9 games in the H&A season.

11. Likes Grantysghost, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In our last 11 games we have lost three games to rank outsiders. Ealges and Hawks twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Cause we’re not any good?

Why are we ever favourites? We can lose any game.

Post Thanks / Like

In our last 11 games we have lost three games to rank outsiders. Ealges and Hawks twice.
    Yep big losses against teams who will not be contending. That loss against the Eagles last year was terrible. Playing for a finals spot and the Eagles just playing for pride and we bottled it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

15. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. It is crazy.

At least in 1997 they won four finals. Even if Leigh Colbert was robbed a mark at a crucial time to get them home against Geelong.

But in both the 1997 and 1998 seasons the Adelaide Crows only won 13 games. Crazy to think you can win it twice after two seasons where you lose 9 games in the H&A season.
    Imagine if the current finals system was in place in the 90s. It might have been a different story as the current system is much more favorable to the top 4.

Our feat in 2016 was amazing from 7th under this finals system. We also had a good win loss ratio 15-7 which in another season is top 4. Richmond in 2017 finished 3rd with 15 wins 7 losses as well.

17. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post