Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 107 of 146 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2182
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

My calculations are closer to 90.

English and Marra are the priorities. If Smith at 22 is cracking it with a premiership coach's assessment of where he best suits the team the maybe team isn't his focus.

Backing him to have a big year though and push his trade value right up. Out of contract sucks and as I've mentioned before you never let players go out of contract. Trade them prior if they won't commit, even if it's just one more year.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 23-10-2023 at 07:19 PM.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Should have tried to move him and avoid this circus before he walks anyway.
    The curse is dead.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    These people have weird jobs.

The trade period where they were all reliably informed a move on Bailey Smith was in the wings, that resulted in no moves on Bailey Smith has just ended, and now they're all getting aroused by moves on Bailey Smith next trade period and indirectly telling everyone about how aroused they are about it. Weird.

They're like The Hardy Boys from South Park. Continually telling us about their raging clues.
    They need to stay relevant somehow. Their employers require click bait and what better way then to bandy about unsubstantiated rumours. They get the clicks and their sponsors are content. Pretty simple business model. Shows how utterly useless some jobs are out there but someone pays them and we are forced to tolerate their codswallop.

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    They need to stay relevant somehow. Their employers require click bait and what better way then to bandy about unsubstantiated rumours. They get the clicks and their sponsors are content. Pretty simple business model. Shows how utterly useless some jobs are out there but someone pays them and we are forced to tolerate their codswallop.
    Yep, and we are talking about it so they've hit their mark sadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yep, and we are talking about it so they've hit their mark sadly.
    And they'd know that a fair portion of what's being said about them is founded in ridicule, but they'll wear that just for the clicks and to keep their jobs.

So if you didn't have contempt for them already, then knowing they're purposefully seeking ridicule to stay in a job should get you over the line.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    There are problem with being proactive with this type of move
    1) If you fail to get a deal completed it creates a lot of negative press and speculation
    2) If the deals being offered undervalues the players real worth the supporters will call that out loudly

When Dunkley and Essendon made their move most supporters thought a first and 2nd rounder was unders for a contracted player and because of Brisbane being compromised by father son picks we receive a genuinely well unders deal for Dunkley

Power mentioned that no one inquired about Smith and his manager confirmed that he was committed too us so it wouldn't have been easy to shop him around without creating a lot of noise.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are problem with being proactive with this type of move
    1) If you fail to get a deal completed it creates a lot of negative press and speculation
    2) If the deals being offered undervalues the players real worth the supporters will call that out loudly

When Dunkley and Essendon made their move most supporters thought a first and 2nd rounder was unders for a contracted player and because of Brisbane being compromised by father son picks we receive a genuinely well unders deal for Dunkley

Power mentioned that no one inquired about Smith and his manager confirmed that he was committed too us so it wouldn't have been easy to shop him around without creating a lot of noise.
    How about a one year extension? Can't see a reason both parties wouldn't.
    I guess it may make it more difficult for the player to get out.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How about a one year extension? Can't see a reason both parties wouldn't.
    I guess it may make it more difficult for the player to get out.
    I would prefer a longer contract so he shows commitment to the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would prefer a longer contract so he shows commitment to the team.
    I think best case scenario is he signs to his restricted free agency period.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think best case scenario is he signs to his restricted free agency period.
    Honestly that's all I'd expect and ask/ hope for - and the angle I'd be taking with him.

Point out that he's been good for us but we've been really good for him, and confirm it's a fair outcome.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

With the +1 I meant at the end of this season

That way, he looks after the club if he's not sure of his future.
    Why can't we be mature about these situations.

Now he's uncontracted and if he chooses a team near the top, which he's likely to do, we get screwed again when we are all expecting he will leave.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be the team at the top though.
    Bring back the biff

20. Likes Bulldog4life, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We will be the team at the top though.
    Love it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Smith is interesting right now.

On field - I think he's kind of at a 'buy low' point. Off field? He's at a 'Sell High' point. I think his value far exceeds his on-field performances but I'm not sure how you factor that into to footy 'trade' conversations with footy 'trade' people...

Anyway, the point I was coming too - and with no disrespect to supporters of other clubs - "WE" know Bailey the player better than most...I would have seen every game he has ever played at AFL level for instance and I'm sure I'm not alone. Some of his great stuff has been GREAT. But some other stuff...

I remember back when Dylan Shiel was going through his free-agency or whatever it was and moved to Essendon. There had been a few clubs interested in him and he ultimately signed an expensive deal with Essendon. Everyone seems to have a 'different' opinion of Shiel now but back then he was yet another 'talent' who the Giants couldn't keep and they were really going to miss him...the Bombers were lucky to have him.

There was little blow-back from the Giants - I had to admit it but they tend to play a straight bat with this stuff, wishing players well, thanking them for their service etc - but I remember one of their assistant coaches was interviewed and he went away from the script and quietly but pointedly said:
    - "You guys do know that he sprays it a bit, right???"...

Shiel's career at Essendon has hit a number of road-blocks but none so strong as the general assessment that once he was forced to play a LEAD role - rather than be down the line from Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio, Ward etc - his lack of disposal 'precision' really caused him to come unstuck.

I don't want to lose Smith. He is a good player and a highly marketable one who is good for 'US' as long as he wears the colours. From a pure footy POV though, he does 'spray it a bit' and there are short-comings in his game that could see us miss him less onfield than other supporters imagine we would.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.