Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

I like Baz but Im getting a little bit annoyed that this type of circus will likely drag on for the next 10 months.
    If he is happy at the club then he should commit to us quickly in the new season. Its not like he will ever struggle for money.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I like Baz but Im getting a little bit annoyed that this type of circus will likely drag on for the next 10 months.
    If he is happy at the club then he should commit to us quickly in the new season. Its not like he will ever struggle for money.
    Have you watched the show Beckham ? It’s kinda the same about not letting your outside interests compromise your football.
    Is it or isn’t it , I would certainly say it would be in the conversation and contract on what he can and can’t do . Eg can’t miss training etc .
    Personally at his age I think he is doing a great job juggling both.
    Last seasons bad year was more about football than outside of it .
    We also need to realise he is only young and all footballers have a bad year . He has been brilliant as a young boy coming into AFL it was probably due.
    I don’t think he wants to leave and will sign again if the offers are close to ours . He would be earning heaps out of it anyway . Comes to a time staying with your mates could be the difference .
    He looks very close to most players so let’s hope that his decision is in our favour.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Have you watched the show Beckham ? It?s kinda the same about not letting your outside interests compromise your football.
    Is it or isn?t it , I would certainly say it would be in the conversation and contract on what he can and can?t do . Eg can?t miss training etc .
    Personally at his age I think he is doing a great job juggling both.
    Last seasons bad year was more about football than outside of it .
    We also need to realise he is only young and all footballers have a bad year . He has been brilliant as a young boy coming into AFL it was probably due.
    I don?t think he wants to leave and will sign again if the offers are close to ours . He would be earning heaps out of it anyway . Comes to a time staying with your mates could be the difference .
    He looks very close to most players so let?s hope that his decision is in our favour.
    Bevo should throw a boot at him. Beckham readjusted his focus back on the game when Fergy did it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bevo should throw a boot at him. Beckham readjusted his focus back on the game when Fergy did it.
    'Kick'. It's more impressive that way anyway

6. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith to train with Nick Daicos in New York as crucial pre-season preparations ramp up

The Bulldogs star is tapping up the Collingwood premiership hero as he hunts a lucrative new contract.
    Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith has revealed he will link up with Collingwood premiership hero Nick Daicos for a training camp in New York.

Smith is in the midst of a ?pretty big? off-season ahead of the most crucial year of his AFL career to date, looking to reestablish himself as a midfielder while eyeing off a bumper new contract for 2025 and beyond.

And with the Dogs hunting a return to the finals, having missed out in 2023 despite a 12-11 record, any improvement promises to help push the team towards the top eight.

Smith, after a ?disappointing? individual campaign, has already accepted the need to avoid ?the trap of over-training? and promised to ?attack? whatever role he is assigned by coach Luke Beveridge.

Now the 22-year-old will tap into one of the game?s youngest stars for some inspiration.

?Heading off to New York soon so it?ll be good to do a few training sessions over there with Nick Daicos,? Smith told 7NEWS Melbourne?s Mitch Cleary.

?That?ll be super fun. Just doing what I can do without overdoing it mate. Enjoying it.?

The footballers, who are business partners and share a sponsor in Monster Energy, will visit the NBA?s Brooklyn Nets and take in some MMA training.

The 20-year-old Daicos established himself further this year when he finished third in the Brownlow Medal and helped Collingwood win the flag.

?I think something where we?ve got a lot of room to grow in AFL is appreciating great players as they come along,? Smith said.

?I love watching his journey and then to be able to work together over this off-season will be amazing.

?Hopefully I can have a year like his next year.?

Smith was involved in a contract tease last week in response to fresh rumours that he is an ?80 per cent chance? of moving clubs.

The Bulldogs used the high-profile superstar to plug a new four-year sponsorship, with their caption leading fans to initially believe he had already re-signed.

But a new deal is ?not really at the forefront? of his mind right now.

?There?s so much room left to grow and do in the imminent months now with pre-season,? Smith said.

?Just itching for Round 1 to come around already, which is annoying because you?ve got to pace yourself. Just keen to smack out the next (few months).?

Smith is bound to have a decision to make eventually with the Bulldogs battling several clubs - Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon have all been named as interest parties - for his signature.

For now, a finals charge with the Dogs is all that matters.

?I think we?re all bloody keen,? Smith said.

?The facilities (Whitten Oval redevelopment) are almost up and running at the Dogs, which has been exciting. Everyone?s keen at this point of the year, it?s a long time till the season comes.

?The main thing is just keeping the body healthy and the mind right, and I really hope the rest takes care of itself next year and we actually have a good year.?

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

An article about nothing trying to back up a an opinion by an ex player at the end of it.
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plough > Spew.

I’m sick of this already.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    An article about nothing trying to back up a an opinion by an ex player at the end of it.
    It's an article about him training with Nick Daicos in New York, it's fine to post, some people may be interested.

Not sure what you mean by the ex player? John Ralph wrote the 80% rubbish.

13. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He loves the lime light.

Big club lure will be too strong.

15. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's an article about him training with Nick Daicos in New York, it's fine to post, some people may be interested.

Not sure what you mean by the ex player? John Ralph wrote the 80% rubbish.
    Sorry I thought it was Cooney.
    But the fact is the article brings it up trying to keep the story going.
    It does make me laugh how players going overseas for training is written about, clubs, players have been doing it for years. And of course they are going to train while away as they have to turn up to training fit.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Being an AFL footballer is merely a brand extension for the younger brigade. Of course if you are a crap player (or talented but non-committed/off the rails), you have less leverage for all your other business interests, which I'm sure Smith's management are drumming into their client on a daily basis.

So long as he has a ripping pre-season, gives himself maximum opportunity for maximum output in 2024, and helps us become a genuine premiership contender, I don't really care about the contract situation - it will sort itself out one way or the other. Just give me a flag in 2024.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes Bulldog4life, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the fluff piece on 7 news last night and all could think is can we trade him already. The Bailey circus is going to be unbearable.

Would have thought the last 12 months may have humbled him but not.
    The curse is dead.

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost would have been ideal if we was just traded I kind of agree. I'll change my tune if he stays but not looking forward to this year and the speculation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Saw the fluff piece on 7 news last night and all could think is can we trade him already. The Bailey circus is going to be unbearable.

So immature as an industry that we can't see the writing on the wall and trade whilst he is contracted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post

Personally it doesn't worry me.

24. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post