Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Wish Baz well and a speedy recovery. Sucks as I was looking forward to what he could do next season. Hoping it is not the last time we see him play for us as he is a great talent and still very young.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Not sure it changes anything really except his value.

Clubs will still be in for him. He is out of contract so we are the ones that look like being stung by this.

He requests a trade, we get shit offers.

Never let a player go out of contract it's such basic list management it's laughable.
    Never let STAR players get out of contract. You'd think we'd have learnt that after the Dunkley saga.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure it changes anything really except his value.

Clubs will still be in for him. He is out of contract so we are the ones that look like being stung by this.

He requests a trade, we get shit offers.

Never let a player go out of contract it's such basic list management it's laughable.
    Is Smith out of contract? According to footywire () he is contracted for 2024.

Not sure what you expected Sam Power to do. If Power signed Smith earlier this year on a long term deal for you would have been one of the first to criticise the move.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Never let STAR players get out of contract. You'd think we'd have learnt that after the Dunkley saga.
    That's how you end up paying overs, which is what we'd have to have done to keep Dunkley.

Paying overs is fine if your mid-tier and bottom-tier recruiting is bang on, or you're a destination club that attracts all ranges of players, but I'm not really sure the former is us and the latter definitely isn't so it's a balancing act on how much you pay across the levels.

Overs for Dunkley makes it harder to retain Smith, English, JUH and Naughton.....it's complicated. I guess the idea is you put something respectable on the table unlike what happened with Callan Ward and hope for the best.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

This news made me vomit in my mouth. I've been critical of Smith but at the same time one of the believers in his ability to turn it around and get back to being a genuine gun of the competition.

I really don't know how his rehab is going to go, and what his attitude will be once the dust settles. That will be the driver of what happens at the end of 2024, I'm going to keep an open mind and whatever happens happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's how you end up paying overs, which is what we'd have to have done to keep Dunkley.

Paying overs is fine if your mid-tier and bottom-tier recruiting is bang on, or you're a destination club that attracts all ranges of players, but I'm not really sure the former is us and the latter definitely isn't so it's a balancing act on how much you pay across the levels.

Overs for Dunkley makes it harder to retain Smith, English, JUH and Naughton.....it's complicated. I guess the idea is you put something respectable on the table unlike what happened with Callan Ward and hope for the best.
    We can offer what we think is reasonable and if the player doesn't like it then it's best for the club to explore a trade a year before they're out of contract. The whole player nominating one club absolutely kills any bargaining power a club has.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We can offer what we think is reasonable and if the player doesn't like it then it's best for the club to explore a trade a year before they're out of contract. The whole player nominating one club absolutely kills any bargaining power a club has.
    That's not unreasonable but I don't think it's the right thing to do with every player. For all intents and purposes Smith seems committed to us. Dunkley on the other hand should have been traded after 2021 as he always looked like going (although doing that would have been super ballsy given we were grand finalists the year prior and apparently in the window).

Sometimes you eat shit sandwiches. But like you I guess I wish you got to choose whether you have pickles on them.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not unreasonable but I don't think it's the right thing to do with every player. For all intents and purposes Smith seems committed to us. Dunkley on the other hand should have been traded after 2021 as he always looked like going (although doing that would have been super ballsy given we were grand finalists the year prior and apparently in the window).

Sometimes you eat shit sandwiches. But like you I guess I wish you got to choose whether you have pickles on them.
    I hate pickles.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the Dunkley situation and being in the window does make it tricky. I suppose the club might see us in the window still. But we got bent over in the eventual dunkley trade. We're gonna struggle if that's repeated with Smith (and potentially JUH and English). Losing multiple star players for unders will cripple us for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible result today, we’re all hurting, but chin up guys, lucky we’ve got the colonel. We’ll see what Bailey wants to do after we win the flag in 24’

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Insta post by Bailey. 'Aw well..She'll be right"

No point speculating. Just wishing the lad a good recovery.

16. Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is Smith out of contract? According to footywire () he is contracted for 2024.

Not sure what you expected Sam Power to do. If Power signed Smith earlier this year on a long term deal for you would have been one of the first to criticise the move.
    Not sure what you're talking about.

Two separate issues.

I'm saying don't let the contract lapse, as a club you lose strength in negotiation.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate pickles.
    It's doesn't have to be pickles, it's about having a choice for something that offsets the taste of shit.

Post Thanks / Like

It's doesn't have to be pickles, it's about having a choice for something that offsets the taste of shit.
    So mayonnaise then?

Think I'd prefer plain shit. Or maybe just say that I'm not hungry
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

20. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you're talking about.

Two separate issues.

I'm saying don't let the contract lapse, as a club you lose strength in negotiation.
    He's making the point that Bailey is contracted for next year so we haven't let him come out of contract.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

22. Thanks azabob thanked for this post