Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  1,494
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quick interview by 7 News - here

Edit:

SEN has posted transcript

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has spoken publicly for the first time since tearing his ACL, pledging his full support for his teammates over the next 12 months.

The star midfielder comes out of contract at the end of 2024 and has a big decision to make, telling 7 News that he will begin pondering it once he has had knee surgery and finds himself in a strong headspace.

“It’s obviously frustrating, but there’s problems and then there’s real world problems, so you put it into perspective as well as you can and get on with things,” Smith said.

“Once I get training and stuff, that’s when we’ll start to properly put the mind to it (my contract).

“Right now I’m just going through the motions with the knee and just trying to get in a good headspace and a good space.”

Smith hopes to spend 2024 inspiring his teammates by working hard in the rehab group and setting standards at training.

“As long as I still train, I don’t mind. Hopefully I can inspire a few of the boys when they see me in a full sweat each day, hopefully that can spur them on a bit, that’s sort of my motivation, is to try and have a positive impact on others,” he said.

“It’s only a small part not being able to run out on weekends so as much support as I can be for the group is sort of the goal.”

And Smith promises to be on his best behaviour over the holiday break to maximise his recovery post surgery.

“Do my rehab as well as I can and do all the right things and be good on new years, no drinking etc ... just be a good boy and look after it, because I’m really motivated to come back bigger and better,” Smith said.

The Bulldogs enter 2024 under pressure to go deep into September, following two seasons fighting for eighth.
    Last edited by bornadog; 19-12-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Hotdog60, josie thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Dazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the general feeling around Smith at the moment?

Will he stay on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    What's the general feeling around Smith at the moment?

Will he stay on?
    No one really knows. No reliable whispers. All just personal vibes based on how the person perceives him

Post Thanks / Like

‘We’ve been trying!’: Josh Daicos reveals cheeky trade wish to have Bailey Smith at the Pies

He’s one of the biggest stars off-contract at season’s end – and Western Bulldogs on-baller Bailey Smith might have Collingwood best and fairest winner Josh Daicos in his ear this year about a cheeky cross-town move.

Smith is out of contract at the end of the 2024 season – a season in which he won’t play any games due to an ACL rupture at training last month.

The 23-year-old, who was squeezed out of the Bulldogs’ midfield at times in 2023, has already been central to trade reports, linked to both Geelong and Hawthorn late last year.
    But you sense if Daicos – Smith’s business partner and close mate – had his way, Smith will be wearing black and white in 2025.

Asked on Tuesday night if he had any pulling power in luring Smith to Collingwood, Daicos told TV reporters with a laugh: “We’ve been trying!

“But I think as players it’s just natural to do that. Obviously he’s such a skilful and gun player.

“Wherever he goes, we’ll be trying our best to get him over to the Pies.”

Smith and Daicos linked up over the off-season in New York, with some using the burgeoning partnership as fodder in talks surrounding the former’s future.

While Smith’s immediate focus is on rehabbing his knee injury, he said last month he was aware a big decision over his footy future loomed.

“Once I get training and stuff, that’s when we’ll start to properly put the mind to it (contract call),” Smith told 7 News Melbourne in December.

“Right now I’m just going through the motions with the knee and just trying to get in a good headspace and a good space.”
    LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when poaching was frowned upon. Daicos must be getting in his ear one would have to think.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a scoop!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The circus continues.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    The circus continues.
    This is just the Flying Fruit Fly Circus, wait until the big boys in Silvers and Circus Oz roll into town......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bullshit article. Daicos was asked if he is getting into his ear, and he answered that way
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"wherever he goes"

That's not an entirely surprising revelation, however ultimately dissapointing as we have a very weak hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon he is gone, and personally I?d happily drive to him to his new training facility for a top 5 pick. It?s so frustrating that we have to endure 12 months of media hype. Fingers crossed it boosts his value - an inability to kick but 250k non paying 16 yo female members must have some draw to it.

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I reckon he is gone, and personally I?d happily drive to him to his new training facility for a top 5 pick. It?s so frustrating that we have to endure 12 months of media hype. Fingers crossed it boosts his value - an inability to kick but 250k non paying 16 yo female members must have some draw to it.
    I can't see a lot of teams coughing up a lot to trade for him given his injury. Sure there might be some clubs prepared to pay him a very good salary but we have to agree to a trade and it's optimistic to think we would get something like a top 5 pick.
    The smart play would be for Smith to sign a 2 year deal with us and then test free agency.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Sedat, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did Smith do exactly to make us all hate him so much? Be merely pretty good at footy? Be too hot? I find comments like “I’d drive him to his new team” pretty weird.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes Sedat, bornadog, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    What did Smith do exactly to make us all hate him so much? Be merely pretty good at footy? Be too hot? I find comments like “I’d drive him to his new team” pretty weird.
    I don't get it either. All what we are reading about him wanting a trade etc is just pure speculation without anything of substance to support it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think the lower output on the footy field combined with the off field attention and a perceived lack of loyalty (perceived because at this stage it's assumed he'll leave no matter what) all creates a pretty unlikable persona to a lot of people (even if it's not reflective of Smith himself)