Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  1,494
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    He was outstanding in the 2021 semi and prelim finals. Outstanding. That goal in the final quarter against the lions was a beacon of hope in stage 4 lockdown. The clouds parted and he had a halo whilst he did his ice in the veins celebration. Side note - the feral lions fans in the crowd behind him made it so much sweeter.

Since about round 8 2022, or whenever he head butted Thouey, he has been abysmal. Agree - you don?t turn your back on young guns w form slump but to me he looks like he has zero heart and resilience. I think he has reached his ceiling - he was an intense teenager and when drafted i thought he?d lift w AFL training but quickly plateau.

I get the feeling he has so many interests in life that footy is a mid level priority - and for a guy in that form, with that potential I want to see more grit and fight to get back.

He played lacklustre, unmotivated football for 18 months with very little acknowledgement or increased intensity in training. In fact he came out and complained in the media he wasn?t getting the role he wanted on the field - whilst launching a vodka brand and being an ambassador for a fashion label.

He is a super successful young man and I wish him no ill, but I?ve had enough of him on our list. I don?t see us re signing him - more so, I don?t see him re signing with us.
    A fair analysis. Anyone wanting to play midfield can't afford less than maximum intensity on the training track. He now has a year to work out his priorities.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone back and forth on Smith but ultimately it is up to him.

If he is committed, and I mean genuinely committed to being a leader and the best player he can be at OUR footy club, it's a no brainer. Sign him.

My concern over the last 2 years is that footy, and the team, haven't been the priority. When he comes out and complains about his role last year, as much as I 'get it' - he wants to be a mid - it's just another sign he's in it for himself.

I hope he commits and re-signs and realises his potential, but anything short of that and I'm entertaining offers.
    W00F!

3. Likes Sedat, EasternWest, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do people suggest he isn't committed? I mean, sure he has outside interests but surely players can walk and chew gum at the same time? He won our time trial didn't he?

5. Likes Sedat, GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Why do people suggest he isn't committed? I mean, sure he has outside interests but surely players can walk and chew gum at the same time? He won our time trial didn't he?
    I don't get that POV either. Sure he's got a couple of other interests but that can be a good thing as well.
    I'd like to see him tidy up and improve his foot skills but I don't question his attitude to training and playing.
    I still maintain that he was one of the most impressive first year players I have seen at the club and he's still got some great football in front of him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    3rd actually. He beat the other runners on the day he ran but there were another two from the previous week with better times. Bedendo won our time trial

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    3rd actually. He beat the other runners on the day he ran but there were another two from the previous week with better times. Bedendo won our time trial
    You sure it wasn't Ed Barlow?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    You sure it wasn't Ed Barlow?
    Maybe that's who I'm forgetting who came second

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah a young player saying he wants to play midfield isn?t complaining, I reckon 95% of young midfielders have made that quote once in their career before they permanently moved into the midfield. I?d be more concerned if he didn?t want to play midfield.

He also literally said in the same interview ?whatever?s thrown at me I?ll attack it as well I can, I just want to win?

Where?s the ?complaining? about his role?

Post Thanks / Like

So where did he complain about not getting enough midfield time?

I remember him saying he needed to accept the role given to him, basically acknowledging it's up to him to do what is asked of him.

Is calling out that he himself needs and attitude adjustment a bad thing? It's not like he's the first player to get shitty in this area, and we could probably agree that we didn't rotate enough people through the midfield proper as it was.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd place is just the first loser - not even Crossy could compete with the perfection of Cheesy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Bandy
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Dangerfield on SEN hoping Bailey Smith goes to Geelong.
    If Baz has to go anywhere, Geelong at least have a record of just getting their 'big' deals done (Ottens, Dangerfield, Cameron).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If Baz has to go anywhere, Geelong at least have a record of just getting their 'big' deals done (Ottens, Dangerfield, Cameron).
    That was probably more to do with the way Wells approached trades etc. Mackie hasn't exactly set a standard for being fair minded.
    The Cats will need to be prepared to put up something reasonable though and I rate Powers ability to stand his ground
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It kind of makes sense with the cotton on thing, however could he live down in that place? He seems like a guy who likes the bright lights.

I still can't see the attraction with Geelong. I mean there's a far better place called Melbourne close by!

Post Thanks / Like

Sick of the Media discussion on Smith.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.