Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  1,494
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    My q to that Yhf is : if we had done that to Dunkley, would that have changed Smith's situation?

I don't think so. It sounds nice, but we have to take what we can.

Why do they want to go is the issue.
    I obviously can't say for certain GG, but I do think there'd at least be a bit more hesitation amongst Daicos and Smith's getting all 'No, you're schmoopy' with each other; it almost is just tantamount to players flaunting the fact they have mobility leverage in these negotiations right now. Or they do until someone, like Port did to Stevens all those years ago holds them accountable. Port let him go to the draft, and therefore to woeful Carlton, rather than accede to his trade request to Collingwood I believe.

Maybe its time to cop one on the chin to force clubs to deal at least with a pretense of good faith!

I do agree with your broader point GG, why are these required players wanting out?
    To lose Dunkley and potentially Smith, both A graders is not good enough.

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Nah, kind of part of the package. Unless we've done something above and beyond I wouldn't expect it either.
    I'd at least want a solid indication if he's staying or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I'd at least want a solid indication if he's staying or not.
    Well we are fans, and more emotional about this stuff. I think any club, being a professional organisation, would take a different, longer term view

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Well we are fans, and more emotional about this stuff. I think any club, being a professional organisation, would take a different, longer term view
    I don't mean to say we don't do his rehab if he doesn't tell us. I'd just like to believe he's at least told our club he's leaving if that's what intends to do.

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to say we don't do his rehab if he doesn't tell us. I'd just like to believe he's at least told our club he's leaving if that's what intends to do.
    Ameet Bains was asked this. His response was “no”, Bailey has given us nothing to indicate his intentions.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

His manager would ....(pick your verb)... him if he did that, it would kill any future negotiation.

Post Thanks / Like

I still hope Bailey Smith stays.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I still hope Bailey Smith stays.
    I'd be wrapped if he does. Him, Sanders and someone else (Bont/Richards) would be a good mid combo

12. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ameet Bains was asked this. His response was “no”, Bailey has given us nothing to indicate his intentions.
    That as close as you'll get to him saying he's goneski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That as close as you'll get to him saying he's goneski
    Yep. The best outcome from here is a big fight between clubs to get his contract and perhaps a club more able to offer a better price comes into frame (ie Hawks with a top 5 pick or Geelong with Holmes if that rumour was true). I just get no good impression he’s here next year. At all.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently he and Bevo spent a lot of time chatting at the VFL game yesterday, seeming relatively chummy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Jee. At least Smith is showing support for our VFL team. Hoping that?s an indication he hasn?t 100% made up his mind yet.

If it?s Pies he wants to go to would we accept a future 1st & a second this year (or future 2nd), or a future 1st & player such as Noble?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Apparently he and Bevo spent a lot of time chatting at the VFL game yesterday, seeming relatively chummy.
    That is a decent sign that he rocked up to watch the VFL.

18. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Thx Jee. At least Smith is showing support for our VFL team. Hoping that?s an indication he hasn?t 100% made up his mind yet.

If it?s Pies he wants to go to would we accept a future 1st & a second this year (or future 2nd), or a future 1st & player such as Noble?
    I would be surprised if most of our AFL team wasn’t at Willy, they usually are . Part of being a Fulltime footballer.
    I think it’s the chat would be interesting to hear but Bailey has given no idea of his intention, hopefully Bevo is developing a mates stay together, your better off stayng rhetoric.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There were a few Bulldog boys watching Footscray yesterday.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"