Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 33 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Must admit I hadn’t seen the earlier incident. Not the first time for Bailey though so maybe I am a bit sceptical on that one. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt it just seems a bit pointless for me and can only come back to bite you later on.
    I reckon his teammates would love it and only increases the bond with each other.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn website December 11 2017 - Brereton - has missed more games through suspension than any of his fellow clubmen.... sat out a total of 23 games after receiving 14 separate charges during his ... Brereton added another 16 games to that tally in the final two years of his career – 14 weeks from two separate incidents in his lone year at the Swans, and two weeks from a single incident at Collingwood. ( I appropriately removed the words "decorated career")
    AFL News 27th May 2013 - Ziebell - three-match suspension after being cited by the Match Review Panel for a high bump on Adelaide's Jarryd Lyons. Because he has been suspended for seven matches within the past two years, Ziebell copped a 50 per cent loading.

Brereton has a sharply failing media career and is looking for publicity.

Ziebell is a failing footballer in a team that are currently not deserving being in the AFL at all.

Brereton's comments are simply a non-event, as he is.

4. Likes merantau, Dancin' Douggy, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I was sitting right above where that tackle happened on Bruce, me and my partner were 100% sure he wasn't going to get up due to how he landed, head first into the dirt. I'm really, really surprised he wasn't pulled off for concussion test.

Either way, Ziebell deserved it.
    I was right there too in lvl 1 and I turned to the person I was with and said he's gone.
    It was intended to injure. We've been copping it for years, think way back to Grant Thomas and the Aints taking us for mugs all those years.
    Good teams play with an edge.
    I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't get over the top and we stay focussed on the match.
    Bailey gets excited

Post Thanks / Like

The West Coast one was brilliant. Havent got up to the 4th qtr yet but if it was literally just lip service to Ziebell than I'm sure I won't mind it.

We need more personalities in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought since Dermott is going all "Won't somebody think of the children" I should check back what his history on Toby Greene is like.

I've only bothered to go back to 2017 using the search terms "Dermott Brereton Toby Greene".

After Toby Greene got done for two weeks for jumper punching Alex Rance Dermott said in this article that:

“He’s not a dirty player. A dirty player is someone who is able to do those nasty little acts in play, while the ball is live, and do it snidely,” Brereton told The Daily Telegraph.
    (Which is a very weird definition of a dirty player btw and also exactly fits all of Toby's later incidents)

and
    “It just shows to me that he hates even losing at any individual contest. It shows a competitiveness in him that is a rare, rare thing and the do-gooders of the world will turn around and judge him in a dim light.

“I don’t see a great deal of difference between him and Glenn Archer when he first started to play.
    So no proper condemning his behaviour, just that he thinks Toby will need to grow out of it at some stage. And he's right, those damn do gooders have always turned around and judged innocently competitive guys like Toby in a dim light. Can't they see that he just hates losing?

Regardless, maybe Dermott will show a different vantage point in this article after a certain Luke D...no that's too obvious...L Dahlhaus got kicked in the face, and then a few weeks later a bunch of Swans kept running into Toby's boots for like no reason.

But Dunstall believed it was time for Greene to “put the Kung fu kick away” due to how dangerous it is.

However - his former Hawks teammate was strong on the belief that if you have the ability to get to the position of the ball drop, you should be able to do whatever you want.
    Jason Dunstall: You’ve got to put the Kung fu kick away.

Dermott Brereton: If the drop of the ball is here and you stay here, you can put your foot out to stop somebody coming in. Yes you can.

Jason Dunstall: Nah it’s not in the spirit of the game.

Dermott Brereton: The umpires didn’t call it.

Jason Dunstall: They should have.

Dermott Brereton: Why? He’s marked the ball.
    Ah I see, if the umpires don't call it it's all in the spirit of the game. I expect the umpiring department will be coming out any day now to declare Bailey's actions should have resulted in a free due to "failure to uphold the games spirit".

Oh well surely this article published days after Greene got himself suspended for a Prelim for eye gouging in two finals in a row will clarify Dermotts position better.

You’ve got to understand the psyche of a player who plays on the edge, brutally and he’s a brilliant player.

“He will do everything he can to make the opposition at unease. And that’s part of it. He didn’t rake his eyes, didn’t pull his mouth, he didn’t strike him, he didn’t ram his head into the deck.”
    He's right, Toby was just trying to put the opposition at unease. Sticking his fingers in key players eyes two weeks in a row is fine, just as long as he doesn't rake them in the process. Oh and the fact he didn't put his fingers in the players mouth and pull also demonstrates how he showed an appropriate duty of care. I wish Bailey restrained himself when he furiously stepped over Brad Sheppard.

Anyway just glad Dermott is holding Bailey to account for stepping over a player confidently and getting in the face of an absolute cheap shot merchant (who plays for a club that has repetitively gone the niggle at every opportunity including in the exact game he was referring to). Definitely can't see any inconsistency in Dermott's opinions, all I see is two players, one who just plays on the edge, hates losing and is continually judged in a dim light by a bunch of "do gooders" while performing in the umpire endorsed "spirit of the game", and another who solely punches down and loves to belittle "good citizens of our sport" despite having admitted to mental health issues that rule him ineligible for that kind of behaviour.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Actually just thinking this is a good thing. We want all the ex-Hawks people to come out and give it to Bailey.

Say bye bye to any future poaching efforts.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what I take from that is Bailey should do something *actually* thuggish and bullshit if he wants Dermott’s approval. Merely being antagonistic and a full on gun is just not on apparently.

Smith and Libba giving it to Ziebell and the rest of those losers trying to pull Essendon’s patented “lost the game so better start a fight” was awesome and should boost the confidence of everyone else out there with them. Sure it opens you up to looking stupid if you lose but why on earth should such a confident player or person ever plan for that?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Just thought since Dermott is going all "Won't somebody think of the children" I should check back what his history on Toby Greene is like.

I've only bothered to go back to 2017 using the search terms "Dermott Brereton Toby Greene".

After Toby Greene got done for two weeks for jumper punching Alex Rance Dermott said in this article that:

(Which is a very weird definition of a dirty player btw and also exactly fits all of Toby's later incidents)

and

So no proper condemning his behaviour, just that he thinks Toby will need to grow out of it at some stage. And he's right, those damn do gooders have always turned around and judged innocently competitive guys like Toby in a dim light. Can't they see that he just hates losing?

Regardless, maybe Dermott will show a different vantage point in this article after a certain Luke D...no that's too obvious...L Dahlhaus got kicked in the face, and then a few weeks later a bunch of Swans kept running into Toby's boots for like no reason.

Ah I see, if the umpires don't call it it's all in the spirit of the game. I expect the umpiring department will be coming out any day now to declare Bailey's actions should have resulted in a free due to "failure to uphold the games spirit".

Oh well surely this article published days after Greene got himself suspended for a Prelim for eye gouging in two finals in a row will clarify Dermotts position better.

He's right, Toby was just trying to put the opposition at unease. Sticking his fingers in key players eyes two weeks in a row is fine, just as long as he doesn't rake them in the process. Oh and the fact he didn't put his fingers in the players mouth and pull also demonstrates how he showed an appropriate duty of care. I wish Bailey restrained himself when he furiously stepped over Brad Sheppard.

Anyway just glad Dermott is holding Bailey to account for stepping over a player confidently and getting in the face of an absolute cheap shot merchant (who plays for a club that has repetitively gone the niggle at every opportunity including in the exact game he was referring to). Definitely can't see any inconsistency in Dermott's opinions, all I see is two players, one who just plays on the edge, hates losing and is continually judged in a dim light by a bunch of "do gooders" while performing in the umpire endorsed "spirit of the game", and another who solely punches down and loves to belittle "good citizens of our sport" despite having admitted to mental health issues that rule him ineligible for that kind of behaviour.
    Excellent forensics, analysis and conclusion.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

12. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Excellent forensics, analysis and conclusion.
    CSI Footscray
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Bailey Smith, I like the way he plays and the way he give a bit of lip. Don’t change Bazelenka
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So kissing an opponent on the cheek after a goal is in the spirit of the game? Dermott you couldn’t look or sound like any more of an idiot but here we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm not too fussed.

I also doubt anybody aside from Dermott cares. If anything him drawing attention to it is likely to win Bailey some more fans.
    You might be surprised. Strong consensus on the AFL reddit that he was being a dickhead. Without the broader context I might agree with them but having watched the game I can't

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    You might be surprised. Strong consensus on the AFL reddit that he was being a dickhead. Without the broader context I might agree with them but having watched the game I can't
    The ones who think this are falling into the Dermy trap. They think Bailey did it out of nothing. Just being arrogant. And looking at the footage on face value I can see how one might think this. Bailey went up to Ziebell after the mark and it looked like Ziebell did nothing to warrant the attention. But there’s more to it as has been alluded to on here. Me nice guy Ziebell is not the solid citizen he would have us all believe. Just like Dermie. There’s also a bit of insecurity amongst the ranks with the lowly bulldogs up and about I imagine. How dare the bulldogs think they can intimidate.

19. Likes Grantysghost, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hell yeah he was. It ruled.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

That Dermott Brereton? The Dermott that told Vandenberg to make sure Mark Johnson wasn’t able to walk out of here today due to a sling tackle he laid on Robert Campbell, sparking one of the uglier incidents in modern football?

Spare me

Plus, as has been pointed out a few times quite well in this thread already, mental health off field & on field conduct are completely seperate. No mercy during play has been asked for, and none given.

Embarrassing really
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

22. Likes Testekill liked this post