Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 37 of 137 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    He literally kicked it straight to Laverde, Laverde didn't even have to move to intercept it because it was straight down his throat.
    Sad thing is you could see that was exactly what he was going to do way before he did it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Sad thing is you could see that was exactly what he was going to do way before he did it.
    Before my time actually doing stuff with no footy, the debate was is Walsh really that much better than Smith. Fast forward. That’s not even a question. How was his year last year and why is he a shadow of that debut year which was stunning?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Before my time actually doing stuff with no footy, the debate was is Walsh really that much better than Smith. Fast forward. That’s not even a question. How was his year last year and why is he a shadow of that debut year which was stunning?
    Is it partly due to the opposition putting time into him? I'm sure this is also happening to Walsh but some players deal with it and progress out of it quicker than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest difference between Walsh and Smith is decision making under pressure. Walsh has ice running through his veins and consistently makes good decisions, Baz is a panic merchant. Hopefully it improves with time and experience.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shadow is a bit much. He'd been excellent in pretty much every game post bye up until the weekend.

Gotta say I find the lack of enthusiasm for Smith's game to be stunning. We should be thrilled we have him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes jeemak, Twodogs, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Biggest difference between Walsh and Smith is decision making under pressure. Walsh has ice running through his veins and consistently makes good decisions, Baz is a panic merchant. Hopefully it improves with time and experience.
    Walsh is outstanding with his decisions. They've hit the jackpot he has Hird written all over him.

Bailey, I don't think he's a panic merchant but sometimes his decision making isn't especially good under real or perceived pressure. His skills are fine from what I can see, what he chooses to do with them at times.. Needs some work

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Shadow is a bit much. He'd been excellent in pretty much every game post bye up until the weekend.

Gotta say I find the lack of enthusiasm for Smith's game to be stunning. We should be thrilled we have him.
    Very much agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. The criticism of Bailey has been well over the top. I would rather a player that gets the ball and tries to create than one that either can't get it or always takes safe options. I think he can tidy up his disposal and decision making as he matures.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s an honest question not having seen one game on his in 2020. The end of 2019 he looked destined to be a dead set star of the comp by now, such was his stunning 2019. That’s not where his 2021 season has been at. I asked about what his 2020 was like not having seen it and I also asked why he progression hasn’t come on as hoped. Feel free to answer them, because I want to know what people think. I know I didn’t suggest trading him or say I wasn’t unhappy that we have him. But he has had poor runs this season and his decision making can be sketchy and disposal sketchy too. I’m not sure anyone who sees that lacks enthusiasm.

He’s young and will only get better. Perhaps shadow is too emotive a word, but thought it apt in consideration; of him being one of the best first season players we’ve had. So I will rephrase it:

I didn’t see Bailey play in 2020.
    How was Bailey’s 2020?
    Considering his outstanding, brilliant 2019 and his patchy 2021 - why has his trajectory seemingly levelled off?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

His 2020 looked like taking off before he was concussed and took about a month to recover. There was some excellent displays mixed in with some quiet performances, but I think he didn't quite deliver on the hype. I honestly find it hard to attribute anything to the 2020 season given the state of the game, between the reduced quarters, hubs and worldwide malaise, were just so radically different to the game that the players are actually employed to play. But Smith was fine if not a little underwhelming, and his 2021 is better.

He's a really eye catching player and a lot of his possessions come on the end of extended runs, which sort of lends itself to equally eye catching disposal errors, but the errors he makes are the type that you'd think would improve with seasoning.

His debut season was awesome but statistically he's improved everywhere, and he's regularly having games where he's in our best 3-4 players. He's clearly getting better but maybe not at the rate that was expected, which is totally fine.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Scorlibo, Testekill, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His 2020 looked like taking off before he was concussed and took about a month to recover. There was some excellent displays mixed in with some quiet performances, but I think he didn't quite deliver on the hype. I honestly find it hard to attribute anything to the 2020 season given the state of the game, between the reduced quarters, hubs and worldwide malaise, were just so radically different to the game that the players are actually employed to play. But Smith was fine if not a little underwhelming, and his 2021 is better.

He's a really eye catching player and a lot of his possessions come on the end of extended runs, which sort of lends itself to equally eye catching disposal errors, but the errors he makes are the type that you'd think would improve with seasoning.

His debut season was awesome but statistically he's improved everywhere, and he's regularly having games where he's in our best 3-4 players. He's clearly getting better but maybe not at the rate that was expected, which is totally fine.
    Appreciate it HD. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Agreed. The criticism of Bailey has been well over the top. I would rather a player that gets the ball and tries to create than one that either can't get it or always takes safe options. I think he can tidy up his disposal and decision making as he matures.
    The only criticism I have given him is his disposals by hand, and his long kicking to no one. Besides that, he is destined to be a gun mid, but is currently behind Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Libba and Adz - still only 20, and plenty of time to learn his trade.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt Bailey has some deficiencies to work on, but none of them seem insurmountable to a bloke with as much talent and professionalism, s as he exhibits.
    We are damn fortunate he fell into our laps due to his inability to play for a lot of his final under 18 year. Any other year and he would've been in contention for a top 3 pick.
    He's not missed a game with us since he was drafted. That's almost 3 years! He is a jet and will only get better.
    If he was suddenly put on the market, I think most clubs would fall over themselves trying to secure him.
    Bailey is one I'd like us to factor into a 4 or 5 year deal and secure him for the long term.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 12-08-2021 at 02:31 PM.

21. Likes Grantysghost, macca, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey's got this weird thing with his kicking where he's like the opposite of Daniel and Macrae, he can only kick it really straight so he has this Redpath sized turning circle because he can't kick around the corner. He will banana it or use his left if he doesn't have time to turn because he can't kick it inside out or with a bent leg. If you apply frontal pressure to him he tries to use his pace to sort of run around then kick back to his target on an angle which he miskicks a lot

He's really good with low kicks to a leading player and accurate long kicks though
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

23. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, hujsh, soupman, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only criticism I have given him is his disposals by hand, and his long kicking to no one. Besides that, he is destined to be a gun mid, but is currently behind Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Libba and Adz - still only 20, and plenty of time to learn his trade.
    I think composure will come with experience. I don't think he has disposal issues I think he has issues with composure under pressure and I think these will be ironed out in the next 12 months. He's an out and out super star and while he's not untouchable talk of trading him is bordering on ludicrous.

25. Likes bornadog liked this post