Thanks Thanks:  241
Likes Likes:  1,385
Page 51 of 130 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure it’s just young males BAD
    Id like to be able to swing a left foot kick around my body running like that at any age.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Id like to be able to swing a left foot kick around my body running like that at any age.
    No offence but for some reason I see you more as the Mitch Hannan bullocking-type who takes it cleanly then dishes off creatively out the side. Let the rock stars have their glory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No offence but for some reason I see you more as the Mitch Hannan bullocking-type who takes it cleanly then dishes off creatively out the side. Let the rock stars have their glory.
    I fear you've just unleashed a Royce Hart screamer review anecdote.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he's had a late start to training this year but I think Smith could have a break out season in 2022.
    He's been seriously good since he arrived at the club so I don't say this lightly but his ceiling is that of a star player and if he stays healthy in 2022 I think he can reach another level.

With a packed centre square midfield will he get enough time in there or could we plant him on a wing and let him be that link up player delivering the ball quickly into the fowards? Or could he play mainly as a forward with some sharp bursts in the midfield late in the quarters that catch a tiring opposition out?

The question I have for you all is how do we best use Smiths talents this year?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know he's had a late start to training this year but I think Smith could have a break out season in 2022.
    He's been seriously good since he arrived at the club so I don't say this lightly but his ceiling is that of a star player and if he stays healthy in 2022 I think he can reach another level.

With a packed centre square midfield will he get enough time in there or could we plant him on a wing and let him be that link up player delivering the ball quickly into the fowards? Or could he play mainly as a forward with some sharp bursts in the midfield late in the quarters that catch a tiring opposition out?

The question I have for you all is how do we best use Smiths talents this year?
    I think the query on him until late in the year was carelessness with his disposal and his defensive positioning, but he seemed to clean that up by the end of the year and had a very strong finals.
    I think he has to continue to build midfield minutes as he gives us a burst of speed that we probably only really get from Treloar otherwise. He has that capacity to run the wings and give us power through there, but I think he'll be a strong part of the midfield mix.
    The midfield minutes mix is going to continue to be a huge question given the players who need time through there. If we have a fit Bont, Smith, Macrae, Treloar, Dunkley and Libba, it gets tight. Especially with Smith, Macrae and Dunks looking for big new contracts. Was interesting on the Danny Boyd podcast, they had Mitch Wallis on, who basically was pleading with the coaching staff not to pigeonhole him as a mid sized forward. Not sure he can get mid minutes with that crew but he clearly wants to be considered.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You make an excellent point with regards to Bailey Smith. I think if you look back two seasons ago, his move to the wing was instrumental in our fightback against the Saints in the elimination final. With the addition of Treloar, the logical progression was for Smith to make the wing his own in 2021.

He started well but as the season unfolded, with injuries to Treloar and Dunkley, it became evident he needed to move into the middle. He offers us a real point of difference with his power and he has now evolved past merely being a wingman.

When Dunkley and Treloar returned in the 2nd half of the season, I believe part of our slump was attributed to struggling to manage our midfield dynamic. Eventually we settled on using both Treloar and Smith as high half forwards which allowed them to use their strengths to push up at the ball and get the ball into their hands in the forward half of the ground. This was a large reason Smith had such an influential finals series particularly with his impact on the scoreboard.

The flip side means that our forward line dynamic changes slightly to what it looked like in the first half of the season. I think the coaches are comfortable playing 3 athletic talls in English, Naughton, Jamarra , and even Hannan because they can still pressure the ball. This means there are less spots available for genuine small forwards, and means Weightman, Vandermeer, JJ and McNeil are vying for less spots.

I see 2022 unfolding in a similar manner to how last season finished. Having said that, I'm hoping Bailey is clearly in our best starting midfield by the end of the 2022 season.

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we think Smith should be playing the outside role of the inside role? He is very strong and has a burst of speed. I do like him in the middle, and as players like Libba begin to age, he will get more midfield time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do we think Smith should be playing the outside role of the inside role? He is very strong and has a burst of speed. I do like him in the middle, and as players like Libba begin to age, he will get more midfield time.
    He doesn't have any limits, I think he could perform brilliantly well in any roles he was asked to play.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling GVGjr there won't be much trade Bailey Smith talk this year on Woof that's for sure.

With the plaudits he received on his finals performances and the impact he had on games I think he will be more willing to play and accept the outside role when needed. I'm not sure during the season he ever did, which was reflective in his average performances but a so called striker role suits him, he may not get 30 every week but can seriously impact the game when it counts and get recognised for it, will suit him down to the ground.

The other thing I noticed during the finals is that he was prepaid to hold onto the pill a little longer which saw the game open up around him, I'm excited to see more growth in this area , I agree lookout 2023.

14. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming of Age

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith's profile has exploded since his scintillating finals – he finished fourth in the Gary Ayres Medal following a dominant burst – but the hype doesn’t seem to be affecting his football. The 21-year-old has started the season with 33, 31, 36 and now 43 disposals – six more than his previous best – in a best on ground performance on Good Friday. While other midfielders have generated more praise across the first five rounds, no one is averaging more touches than the Victorian, who is averaging 35.8 disposals and 6.5 inside 50s after missing round two due to injury. Smith tormented North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Friday, finishing with nine score involvements, seven inside 50s and 646 metres gained in a performance that attracted plenty of praise from Luke Beveridge post-game. Not hard to see why brands are clamouring to get the Bulldogs star to sign with them. Now the Dogs need him to sign on the dotted line.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/741658/e...es-more-credit

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Baz has had a trim...

20. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gone the Draper look. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Baz has had a trim...

Watch every teenage kid rock this in the next month.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is he now starting to look like a pretty boy version of Wayne Weidemann?