Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 57 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lets put the original post back up.
    If it is an issue for him, he will need support. I suspect that even if it isn't an issue he will need some support and/or counseling.
    So are you saying it's an issue for Bailey or there'll be an issue because of it?

Anyway, I've just sent the video, or a video anyway, and the case is now closed.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

There's going to be a huge variety of takes on the drugz that are part of broader discussions. As it pertains to Bailey and our season, I'm

a) surprised that he would commit this moment to a photo. Who knows where his head was at to make that seem like a smart thing to do, maybe he was in a depressive phase, maybe it's part of a broader compulsion to share his life experiences for external affirmation, maybe it was sent to someone who he 100% trusted to keep it private. Whichever way you look at it, there is/was something going on for him personally.

b) worried for him given the scrutiny it will bring, he speaks openly about a fear of being judged. He'll cop all sorts on the field as well. Agree with GVG our primary concern should be for his welfare and making sure he has a good support network.

c) worried for the Club if (b) isn't handled right that we either won't get the best out of Bailey from here on in or he will choose to move somewhere else
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    So is mental health break now a standard AFL euphemism for I’ve gone a bit hard on the gear and I need to be somewhere I can rehab / am unlikely to get tested?
    Yes it is
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey has made a statement

"I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

5. Thanks Grantysghost, Scorlibo, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post

Well at least he's got on the front foot and hasn't tried to deny it.

GVG is right and he's gonna need support as it'll be a rough year from the crowd from here in for Bailey.

7. Likes Bulldog4life, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Nah reckon he was on the gear during his break. Might have been the reason why he left. Sort stuff out. He can come out and say yes I was away from the club and did some things I'm not proud of but I've moved on from that difficult period and healed. That should do it.
    Aaaaaaand done.

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaaand done.
    Stable genius. Vote 1ed.

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaaand done.
    You were spot on.

Good on him for fessing up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post

Brilliant response by Smith.

12. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

STATEMENT FROM WESTERN BULLDOGS CEO AMEET BAINS

We are extremely disappointed to have observed social media content showing Bailey Smith with an illicit substance.

This content was captured after the 2021 AFL season, while the players were on personal leave.

We absolutely do not condone our players being involved with illicit substances and firmly believe players are well-educated on what constitutes appropriate behaviour.

As a football club with significant influence, we have a responsibility to uphold the highest of standards, as we represent the community, our members and fans, our corporate partners and our other stakeholders.

Bailey is a young man who has faced many challenges and pressures off the field in recent times which he has spoken of extensively. He endured a particularly difficult time towards the end of last year that ultimately led to time away from football.

While this clearly does not excuse his behaviour, it is our responsibility as a Club to ensure we have supported, and we continue to support, Bailey’s health and wellbeing.

We are encouraged that this year, Bailey has successfully put steps in place to ensure he can manage his mental health and be strong in his decision-making, while being able to perform to the best of his ability on the field. This has been reflected in his strong on-field performances across the 2022 AFL season.

The Club has supported Bailey through this process, and we will continue to work closely with him and provide him the support he needs, as he continues his journey as a Bulldogs player.

The Club and the AFL Integrity Unit continue to investigate the emergence of the content on social media and the context surrounding it. An outcome of that investigation will be communicated in due course.

STATEMENT FROM BAILEY SMITH

I have recently been made aware of the presence of social media content that shows me with an illicit substance.

In confronting this, the temptation is to speak in vague generalities and avoid the issue. However, I am determined to learn the lessons of my past and be a better person in the future.

After much reflection, I am now in a position to confess to indulging in behaviours in late 2021 of which I am deeply ashamed. I do not have an excuse for those behaviours, however the state of my mental health over that period post Grand Final dramatically deteriorated, and I spiralled out of control leading to poor decision making and actions at the time. All of this resulting in the leave I took from football at the commencement of pre-season training late last year.

The depth of my emotions over that period, coupled with some of my behaviours, have reminded me that, as a person, I am still very much a work-in-progress.

I know I have obligations beyond myself, not just contractually – but in terms of the example I set through the decisions I make, and I will be better.

I have made mistakes. I am very aware of that, and I fully own it.

I unreservedly apologise to my family, my teammates, my club and its sponsors, the AFL, my supporters and my sponsors.

I have made mistakes, but I resolve to learn from each and to do all I can to avoid letting myself down, and those around me.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Be so full circle if Morris was the one who leaked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Be so full circle if Morris was the one who leaked it.
    Jaime Lannister sends his regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Winter is coming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Winter is coming
    Is that a white powder reference bad?

18. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I preferred him when he pushed kids out of towers.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post