Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 8 of 137 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Based on his first pre-season, (we were never offering this pick to Port, but say we were) would you still have us signing Wingard on 5 X $900,000 contract, or are you thinking this kid might be worth all the draft year hype and happy with what we now have?
    I think even taking Smith out of the equation - 5 x $900k a year for Wingard would have been disasterous IMO.

He is an elite talent who is a lazy downhill skier. Give the demographics of our list he’d have been more detriment than help.

Add in Smith - who I’m impressed with despite his JLT form - and wrapped the wingard deal fell through. Pretty sure it was real though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Slightly off topic, but it might be pertinent to compare the output of Lloyd versus Wingard for the next year or two when making this assessment.

If we get strong contributions from Lloyd while Smith develops then that might make our broader post season strategy look more favourable in the context of the question.

Smith has shown himself to be a bit rushed in traffic and with his disposal, but he's also shown he can drill a ball 35-40m and hit a target lace out when given some space. If he can help our midfield spread, use his pace to get some clear air and hit a target decisively and quickly a few times a game then we're ahead of where we were last year already.
    Very few players pick up the pace of the game straight away - IIRC Gilbee and Cross both took 4 years to establish themselves as best 22 players and they are two of the better players I've seen.

I thought JLT2 was promising for Smith. He seemed to get into the the game as it wore on.

I'm a big fan of what Lloyd brings. HF is a difficult position to play and he outperformed McLean who during the game was often playing a similar role.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Smith could be a gun by the end of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he looked fine. Willing to throw his body in, got himself in positions to receive the footy, likes the hard stuff.

There was one beautiful kick to a leading forward in the third quarter that gave us a taste of things to come. Paddy Dow is probably a good comparison - he got pretty good reviews last year and only averaged the 14 touches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I thought he looked fine. Willing to throw his body in, got himself in positions to receive the footy, likes the hard stuff.

There was one beautiful kick to a leading forward in the third quarter that gave us a taste of things to come. Paddy Dow is probably a good comparison - he got pretty good reviews last year and only averaged the 14 touches.
    Paddy Dow took more centre bounces than any other first year mid in recent memory. Was really thrown to the wolves and not protected as much as other first year players. I suspect we treat Bailey a little better.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Smith settled in

Bailey Smith’s new teammates have been quick to embrace the hype.

Eye-catching, ultra-professional, committed and diligent are words that have been openly thrown around when asked about the young star in media interviews this pre-season.

Plus the ‘best rig at the club’ tag.

But the AFL landscape is something that Smith, pick seven in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, is taking in his stride as he pushes for a round one debut in red, white and blue.

“It’s been really good,” Smith said of his first pre-season.

“I’m getting used to the long days training… and the exposure I’ve got so far from playing proper games has been pretty tough, it’s very fast, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it as my experience gets up.”

The 18-year-old’s taste of the elite level has been a half of football in each of the Bulldogs’ JLT Community Series matches against Gold Coast and St Kilda.

He had nine touches against the Suns, and 12 against the Saints.
    “I’ve just soaked it up, I certainly haven’t taken it for granted,” Smith said.

“It’s been the best, being able to run out with some of my best mates now, and just such a good experience for me and all the other boys, trying to get that team chemistry up before round one.”

Smith acknowledges the Dogs have areas to improve ahead of the season proper, with the connection between the midfielders and forward line one area in need of fine-tuning before facing the Sydney Swans next Saturday night.

The dynamic midfielder will be hoping his name comes into calculations as senior coach Luke Beveridge’s locks in his team for round one.

“Round one’s rolled around so quickly, it feels like yesterday I first started at the club,” Smith said.

“I’m just so excited, I’ve been really looking forward to playing more and more footy.

“You get a bit sick of training over pre-season and just before the season when it rolls around, you get so excited so I’m super pumped and can’t wait.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on his first pre-season, (we were never offering this pick to Port, but say we were) would you still have us signing Wingard on 5 X $900,000 contract, or are you thinking this kid might be worth all the draft year hype and happy with what we now have?
    Wingard, Smith's pre-season hasn't gone well
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Wingard, Smith's pre-season hasn't gone well
    In what way has it not gone well. He's recovered from his injury and from all accounts has been doing well in training.

Doesn't look like dominating the game yet but did OK and showed some glimpses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    In what way has it not gone well. He's recovered from his injury and from all accounts has been doing well in training.

Doesn't look like dominating the game yet but did OK and showed some glimpses.
    Very delayed start, some concerns his body might not be able to hold up to AFL training programs

Hopefully all good but if you're asking whether his time from the draft until now has changed any minds, you would think it would be in Wingard's favour, unless it's people feeling like he is one of ours now and not a name on a draftee list
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Very delayed start, some concerns his body might not be able to hold up to AFL training programs

Hopefully all good but if you're asking whether his time from the draft until now has changed any minds, you would think it would be in Wingard's favour, unless it's people feeling like he is one of ours now and not a name on a draftee list
    Just the achilles or other concerns?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't that keen on getting Wingard for a few reasons but especially because that Port seemed to be insisting on 2 first round picks for the trade. 5 years at 900K is a substantial contract for a player with some challenges playing a lot of games as well
    The upside was that he is a great player and a game changer

Our pick 7 last year was never in the mix so I think the trade was doomed for us anyway.

Smith should become a very good player for us, I just admire player who comes in so focused to succeed especially ones as talented as Smith is.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The reality is we are debating the wrong thing. We were never giving up a first in the 2018 draft, we were trying to get it done with 2019 picks (and would have if the Hawks didn’t’t get involved).

We will need to see how the draft next year pans out (and wait to see what that player/s becomes) until we can judge whether Wingard or the picks was teh way to go. There’s a lot of water to go under that bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Bailey a name suggested in women's weekly about 20 years ago.....? How did it become such a popular name
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I think even taking Smith out of the equation - 5 x $900k a year for Wingard would have been disasterous IMO.

He is an elite talent who is a lazy downhill skier. Give the demographics of our list he’d have been more detriment than help.

Add in Smith - who I’m impressed with despite his JLT form - and wrapped the wingard deal fell through. Pretty sure it was real though.
    Good points. I feel the same
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Was Bailey a name suggested in women's weekly about 20 years ago.....? How did it become such a popular name
    My Mrs named our dog Bailey...…..After the drink.