Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    My Mrs named our dog Bailey...…..After the drink.
    We have three Bailey's in the men's team and one in the women's team
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Just the achilles or other concerns?
    "Just" the achilles, but it's an injury from the 2018 season that held him back from full training until February

Hasn't really been on the park to improve in anyone's estimations since the draft

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...ared-to-return

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-...of-early-debut

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/...raftees-faring

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...a-bailey-smith

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wes...725113d5a6b9b5
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

But now that he's into full training after a full rehab program he's managed to play two senior halves in the JLT where he looked a little bit rushed in traffic, but got enough of it and did enough to suggest he's definitely on the right path.

If you wanted perfect, sure, it's not been perfect. But given we knew of his Achilles issue, drafted him anyway, and that he's shown a huge level of professionalism and is rated highly by his team mates then I'm not sure how much closer to perfect you can get.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But now that he's into full training after a full rehab program he's managed to play two senior halves in the JLT where he looked a little bit rushed in traffic, but got enough of it and did enough to suggest he's definitely on the right path.

If you wanted perfect, sure, it's not been perfect. But given we knew of his Achilles issue, drafted him anyway, and that he's shown a huge level of professionalism and is rated highly by his team mates then I'm not sure how much closer to perfect you can get.
    Not knocking his attitude, but Tom Williams and Ayce Cordy probably had great attitudes as well. Maybe he's too keen and overdoes things, maybe his body can't cope with the demands. Hopefully neither!
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like a lifetime ago (and improbable) but there is a bloke on our list called Marcus that, if memory serves me right, played at least three or four in the VFL before getting a call up to the AFL squad.

This was at a time that is not dissimilar to now in terms of ladder position and results in the few preceding seasons, so the temptation to rush him straight in would have been strong. This is also a player that was arguably (although the arguments against are pretty poor) the best first year player that year.

Bailey needs to get his confidence up against seasoned adult bodies and at VFL level he will hopefully be able to dominate and get a bit of extra belief. I say give him at least two in the VFL, no matter how well we think he is doing.

7. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems premature to be worrying about whether he's going to be a Tom Williams based on one injury in the U-18s.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Seems premature to be worrying about whether he's going to be a Tom Williams based on one injury in the U-18s.
    Indeed. Fair suck of the saveloy, bloke was drafted what, four months ago?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Not knocking his attitude, but Tom Williams and Ayce Cordy probably had great attitudes as well. Maybe he's too keen and overdoes things, maybe his body can't cope with the demands. Hopefully neither!
    Try to judge him on his performance to date, and not the injuries he doesn't have.

I mean he seems to have fully recovered from the injury that we drafted him with, and has built towards senior footy after starting full training in February...…….if anything we should be super impressed with the kid and doing cartwheels about how quickly he's come along.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This kid is going to be a real star for us, but needs time to develop. A few preseasons and he will be unstoppable.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    It seems like a lifetime ago (and improbable) but there is a bloke on our list called Marcus that, if memory serves me right, played at least three or four in the VFL before getting a call up to the AFL squad.

This was at a time that is not dissimilar to now in terms of ladder position and results in the few preceding seasons, so the temptation to rush him straight in would have been strong. This is also a player that was arguably (although the arguments against are pretty poor) the best first year player that year.

Bailey needs to get his confidence up against seasoned adult bodies and at VFL level he will hopefully be able to dominate and get a bit of extra belief. I say give him at least two in the VFL, no matter how well we think he is doing.
    Did Bont play a few VFL games before getting a call up?

I remember bumping into BMac who told me when watching Bont at U18, he turned to dalrymple and said “I haven’t seen a kid impact a game this much since watching Gaz jnr w Bomber”

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like a lifetime ago (and improbable) but there is a bloke on our list called Marcus that, if memory serves me right, played at least three or four in the VFL before getting a call up to the AFL squad
    Yep, unexpectedly dominated at VFL level really early and knocked the door down for promotion

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

His body looks pretty hardened already and is said to train like a freak. I'm embarrassed to think what I was like at the same age!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Did Bont play a few VFL games before getting a call up?

I remember bumping into BMac who told me when watching Bont at U18, he turned to dalrymple and said “I haven’t seen a kid impact a game this much since watching Gaz jnr w Bomber”
    He definitely did. I just looked it up and his debut wasn’t u til round 5. The VFL fixtures often don’t line up, so he may not have played four league games in the VFL but it was at least a few (and likely some practice matches).
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 18-03-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

He definitely did. I just looked it up and his debut wasn’t u til round 5. The VFL fixtures often don’t line up, so he may not have played four league games in the VFL butt it was at least a few (and likely some practice matches).
    Wow. First and last VFL games of his career no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember watching him play in Geelong in the VFL and he looked amazing. This was before we were an amazing handballing side but Bont was great at it. I'd never seen someone so offensive with heir handballs.

He did one in the goalsquare (that we've all seen alot at AFL level now) that was from over his head along with some others that just rocketed out about 15 metres and I couldn't stop ravig about his handballing for months.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right