Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bailey Smith is a one-of-a-kind prospect who loves his exhaustive lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Except for the whole "work effort" thing! The Hawk relied on natural ability to make his opponents look silly, he didn't exactly take training seriously.

I couldn't imagine Doug working out how many calories he was taking on board with the latest Big Mac that he ate!
    And the whole not drinking alcohol.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    And the whole not drinking alcohol.

Oh my God the Hawk could drink! The problem is he would take teammates (who he promptly drank under the table) out the night before a match and get them pissed too.

I can remember being in a video shop in Footscray the night before the prelim in 1985 when Hawk and Les Bamblett rolled in blind drunk. The Hawk killed it the next day and Les barely touched it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Except for the whole "work effort" thing! The Hawk relied on natural ability to make his opponents look silly, he didn't exactly take training seriously.

I couldn't imagine Doug working out how many calories he was taking on board with the latest Big Mac that he ate!
    Come on TD! I was taking the piss! I grew up in Braybrook mate.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Come on TD! I was taking the piss! I grew up in Braybrook mate.
    I know you did, but not everyone else reading the post would have. When you look at how professional players are nowadays and then track back a generation or two you would have trouble believing a bloke who prepared like Doug did could dominate the compin the way that he did.

The Hawk may have been a bit like Tom Liberatore but he is still in the best three bulldogs I have seen play.

Post Thanks / Like

Points taken TD. Agree with you about the Hawk. What he could do on a football field had to be seen to be believed. He could use his body to hold his position and out manoeuvre opponents like no other I've seen and had wonderful skills and the surest of handling. I rate him my number three after EJ and Chris Grant.
    The competition to be drafted is just so intense these days I have a strong suspicion that many super talented, but less disciplined individuals, don't even get a look in.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Points taken TD. Agree with you about the Hawk. What he could do on a football field had to be seen to be believed. He could use his body to hold his position and out manoeuvre opponents like no other I've seen and had wonderful skills and the surest of handling. I rate him my number three after EJ and Chris Grant.
    The competition to be drafted is just so intense these days I have a strong suspicion that many super talented, but less disciplined individuals, don't even get a look in.
    I think you are right about drafting these days. Clubs are very risk averse to giving away a spot on the list who could cause trouble in the playing group as we have found out lately.

I didn't see so much of Teddy play so I'd have Templeton, Hawkins and Grant as my 1, 2 and 3. Liberatore is a close fourth but I think it's all academic because the Bont will be no 1 by the end of his career.