Thanks Thanks:  125
Likes Likes:  163
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Draft Watch

Map I hope you know the respect I have of your opinion never the less I have to disagree here. The afl circle is much smaller with players from opposition clubs spending more and more time together. That being said indigenous players have always been a tight group I recall many a night at the bulldog social club with Michael Long in the company of our own Majic McLean who said to me " just watching out for the young bloke till he finds his feet". Yes he may be the only indigenous player in the locker room but he won't be on his own. Just my two bobs worth
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yes, all of this is true.

Tell me who he is going to talk to in the gym though? Unless Belinda has a spare set of runners and is planning on spending some time on the track, the issue I am talking about is not going to be addressed though.

The club is definitely making/taking positive steps...but taking positive steps and following it up by deciding to draft a single young indigenous player from interstate and then expecting it all to work out are not really aligned.

If we had 'got' Wingard or Martin, I would be a little bit on board with the potential drafting of Pickett (though not at 13). But we didn't. We need to bring in an experienced indigenous player to continue on the positive steps being laid elsewhere in the club and then think about recruiting 18year olds...
    I wouldnt want Wingard or Martin setting an example for a first year player. "Just coast cuz. The gubbas are gonna pay us anyway"

I'd prefer to have somebody like Jack Trengove pointing the way. He might not be indigenous himself but he won't lead anyone astray either.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

3. Likes Testekill, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Map I hope you know the respect I have of your opinion never the less I have to disagree here. The afl circle is much smaller with players from opposition clubs spending more and more time together. That being said indigenous players have always been a tight group I recall many a night at the bulldog social club with Michael Long in the company of our own Majic McLean who said to me " just watching out for the young bloke till he finds his feet". Yes he may be the only indigenous player in the locker room but he won't be on his own. Just my two bobs worth
    From someone who coaches numerous indigenous players every year, I am telling you that having ONE player - a kid - in a group of 45 or so (plus, no indigenous coaches either)...it's going to be a problem. Particularly when it is a player from interstate already separated from his family. Everyone will shout me down, but family is just MORE IMPORTANT to indigenous people. It just is. And now we have a kid isolated within a playing group with no family around to support him? Again, it's going to be a problem.

And just on your storym, if Michael Long had to seek out a player from another club for support, well that's not a good story...that's also a problem.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From someone who coaches numerous indigenous players every year, I am telling you that having ONE player - a kid - in a group of 45 or so (plus, no indigenous coaches either)...it's going to be a problem. Particularly when it is a player from interstate already separated from his family. Everyone will shout me down, but family is just MORE IMPORTANT to indigenous people. It just is. And now we have a kid isolated within a playing group with no family around to support him? Again, it's going to be a problem.

And just on your storym, if Michael Long had to seek out a player from another club for support, well that's not a good story...that's also a problem.
    I thought that it's more country than family that was really important (i know it's not much of a difference but it's still a distinction) to indigenous boys?
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, all of this is true.

Tell me who he is going to talk to in the gym though? Unless Belinda has a spare set of runners and is planning on spending some time on the track, the issue I am talking about is not going to be addressed though.

The club is definitely making/taking positive steps...but taking positive steps and following it up by deciding to draft a single young indigenous player from interstate and then expecting it all to work out are not really aligned.

If we had 'got' Wingard or Martin, I would be a little bit on board with the potential drafting of Pickett (though not at 13). But we didn't. We need to bring in an experienced indigenous player to continue on the positive steps being laid elsewhere in the club and then think about recruiting 18year olds...
    I would have loved to have snared Eddie, if we could have convinced him. He would have been a great role model. Should have thrown big dollars at him to have a dual role of player and mentor

I am sure dollars talk if we could have sold him a programme and plan for the future.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Counter to that Twomey has us taking Kemp in his live / mock draft on the road to the podcast.

Draft night will be interesting.
    Given it's a very even draft for the first round there is a genuine chance a couple of the highly rated players that many regard in the top 10 will slide down and be available for our selection.

Picks around 13 on draft might are normally in that awkward position but I don't think it's going to be a bad spot for us

It's going to be interesting if one or even two of the following players could be available at pick 13, McAsey a key position tall, a big and versatile midfielder like Kemp, an outside mid like Stephens or a contest midfielder like Robertson.
    Then there is the Kozzie Pickett speculation.

We will have a quiet night but I really think we will come away with a couple of quality players
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Bio's and videos from this years draft propsetcs

https://www.afl.com.au/draft/prospects
    Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Given it's a very even draft for the first round there is a genuine chance a couple of the highly rated players that many regard in the top 10 will slide down and be available for our selection.

Picks around 13 on draft might are normally in that awkward position but I don't think it's going to be a bad spot for us

It's going to be interesting if one or even two of the following players could be available at pick 13, McAsey a key position tall, a big and versatile midfielder like Kemp, an outside mid like Stephens or a contest midfielder like Robertson.
    Then there is the Kozzie Pickett speculation.

We will have a quiet night but I really think we will come away with a couple of quality players
    A bit of talk the McAsey could go top 10 with a couple of clubs looking to trade up to take him.

Wonder how far down Kemp will fall with his knee injury?
    They come after one,
    They come after all,
    They can't handle all,
    Lets go....

Bob Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A bit of talk the McAsey could go top 10 with a couple of clubs looking to trade up to take him.

Wonder how far down Kemp will fall with his knee injury?
    Sounds about right with McAsey. He's one of the more highly rated key position players in a stronger midfield draft
    Kemp shouldn't fall far but would be a terrific pick up if we landed him
    He's a top 10 player, potentially top 6
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to shout you down here and can understand where you are doing from. The isssue I do have if he is the layer we want is how to best manage him and help him to be included could we possibly bring in a couple of indiginoius players into our vfl side. Surely there is a Brett Goodes type we can bring in to both play and educate young boys. We will have to deal with it before 2021 so having players and leaders in place even if not on the senior list needs to be done.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, maybe this is why we fought to keep 13?

No.6 v No.13

YEAR

PICK SIX

PICK 13

Damian Cupido (53 games)

Bob Murphy (312 games)

Dylan Smith (21)

Ash McGrath (214 games)

Ashley Sampi (78)

Nick Dal Santo (322)

Steven Salopek (121)

Byron Schammer (129)

Kepler Bradley (117)

Brent Stanton (255)

Tom Williams (85)

Matthew Bate (102)

Beau Dowler (16)

Shannon Hurn (269)*

Mitch Thorp (2)

Jack Riewoldt (262)*

David Myers (123)

Brad Ebert (246)*

Chris Yarran (119)

Tom Lynch (Adelaide) (139)*

Gary Rohan (125)*

Daniel Talia (186)*

Reece Conca (126)*

Brodie Smith (167)*

Chad Wingard (161)*

Taylor Adams (132)*

Jack Macrae (141)*

Jesse Lonergan (60)

Matt Scharenberg (38)*

Patrick Cripps (101)*

Caleb Marchbank (48)*

Lachie Weller (86)*

Aaron Francis (27)*

Matthew Kennedy (41)*

Sam Petrevski-Seton (64)*

Daniel Venables (21)*

Jaidyn Stephenson (40)*

Jarrod Brander (3)*

Ben King (14)*

Isaac Quaynor (4)*

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-...finally-broken
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I'm not going to shout you down here and can understand where you are doing from. The isssue I do have if he is the layer we want is how to best manage him and help him to be included could we possibly bring in a couple of indiginoius players into our vfl side. Surely there is a Brett Goodes type we can bring in to both play and educate young boys. We will have to deal with it before 2021 so having players and leaders in place even if not on the senior list needs to be done.
    There's the young bloke from Geelong that we're looking at bringing into Footscray if he doesn't get picked up by North, a lot of talk about his leadership qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    There's the young bloke from Geelong that we're looking at bringing into Footscray if he doesn't get picked up by North, a lot of talk about his leadership qualities.
    Jones? I'm not so sure about his leadership skills but he's probably a solid type

Post Thanks / Like

Question to all, probably MJP & GVGjr, reading this article it reads a little like Tim English (not exactly). A WA ruck, who was previously playing a different role (KPF) until a significant growth spurt and is now a flexible ruckman. Any thoughts?

AFEL.com.au

CALLUM Jamieson wasn't disappointed when he was overlooked at last year's NAB AFL Draft.

No club had spoken to him during the season, and he had no expectations of getting picked up. When his name wasn't called by any AFL club in either the national or rookie draft, Jamieson barely let out a sigh.

He was always playing the longer draft game, with his focus on 2019 well before 2018 had ended.

But that's not the only thing that makes the West Australian ruckman an interesting draft hopeful this time around (we'll get to the aviation studies and his years working as a checkout attendant at the local supermarket).

"I didn't even think about the draft last year. I felt my season was OK, and there were games where I thought I had really good glimpses but I'd fade in and out. I knew this year was the year I had to show my stuff," he told AFL.com.au.

Jamieson projects as a later pick at the national draft, but has gathered interest because of his skillset: he's a 199cm big man who shifted into the ruck this season after growing four centimetres and putting on eight kilos in the past 12 months.

Previously, he had been a tall forward. But this year has thrust him into a new role.

"I got thrown into the ruck down at Claremont and I've loved playing through the middle of the ground and going both ways. I feel a lot more confident in myself," he said.

"Everyone always told me I'd develop a bit later and that's what happened."

Rucking alongside likely top-five pick Luke Jackson for three games of Western Australia's under-18 carnival, and working closely with former Eagle and Swans ruck Mark Seaby as part of the program got Jamieson up to speed with the demands of the role.

He averaged 24 hitouts a game in 12 Colts performances for Claremont and now, having spoken to all clubs, feels he has shown as much as he could have.

"It's a pretty weird feeling now, because the whole year you're trying to do your best for the clubs and yourself," he said.

"Then you get to the end of the season after the NAB AFL Draft Combine and now you're kind of just sitting around and the ball's in the recruiters' court."

Jamieson has had things keeping his mind busy, though. As his football has started to take flight this year, he has been completing the first year of his aviation course.

He sees similarities in the path to the cockpit and the journey to football's top level.

"It's a long road, as footy is, and you start at the bottom and try to work your way up to the top and hopefully be a pilot one day," he said.

"I've got a family friend who's a pilot and one who's an engineer at Qantas so they gave me an insight into the aviation industry and I've always wanted to be a pilot since a young age."

Jamieson started in the workforce at a young age.

At 14, after his parents had grown tired of his requests for new surfboards and more surf trips, he took up a job at the local Farmer Jack's supermarket.

"You get kids come through to adults and some old fellas so it was really helpful to be able to talk to people. I learnt that from a young age," he said.

Jamieson isn't the only sportsperson in his family. His older sister, Shakira, has been a member of the No Limits Netball pathway in WA in recent years, which gives opportunities to netballers with intellectual disabilities.

Shakira, 20, has played for the state side, but is also a keen football fan, regularly giving her brother some feedback on his performances.

"She has a few learning issues and movement issues but we're really close. She plays state netball for the state disabled team and she actually said to me a few years ago 'Cal, when are you ever going to make a state team?'" Jamieson said, laughing.

"She gives me advice on my games and definitely lets me know if I have a shocker. It's honest feedback and always straight to the point.

"She loves her footy. She knows who's playing each week, I don't even need to look at the AFL Live app, I just go to her and she'll tell me what's going on. She loves watching me play and I go to her netball games as well."
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Question to all, probably MJP & GVGjr, reading this article it reads a little like Tim English (not exactly). A WA ruck, who was previously playing a different role (KPF) until a significant growth spurt and is now a flexible ruckman. Any thoughts?
    He's a talented player. Over-age colts this year (that's the Claremont way!). Long blonde hair, athletic...there's a lot to like.

In terms of size and athleticism he is probably ahead of Jackson. Jackson is impressive with regards to out and out competitiveness, knowing how to win (football, basketball, you name it) and intangibles...Jamieson is a promising prospect though.

I don't think he will be drafted though - no one drafts rucks...rookie selection I would think.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post