Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  132
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Laitham Vandermeer

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its interesting to see the amount of love Laith is getting on here since his debut. I don't disagree with it at all - but interesting to see how fans react to players - where a 7 possession game from a new player can be so warmly embraced!
    I tend to think that it gets analyzed a bit more critically if we lose games

I'd actually have him in the mix to be dropped this week but I remain bullish about his future
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    He’s got a bit of Jason Tutt in his posture and movement.
    I mentioned it last game to people I was watching it with, he really does play like Jason Tutt except without the concrete hands.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I tend to think that it gets analyzed a bit more critically if we lose games

I'd actually have him in the mix to be dropped this week but I remain bullish about his future
    I think we lack speed up forward from a pressure perspective, so Laith could become important to our set up if he learns to use his speed a bit more at AFL level and add to his defensive game. Wally is great in a contest but struggles to impact defensively. Rhylee West is quite similar as this point in time.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fair to say he's had a couple of challenging years since a promising debut and that injuries and form might have slowed his progress a bit what can we do to recharge his career?
    Does he need a position change or can we use him in a better role that would improve his performances?

Post Thanks / Like

His development has stalled because of injury. He's clearly rated within the four walls by his selection but hasn't had a consistent run.

They need to strip his program back and build his body up to stand up against the demands of AFL. He needs a full preseason to lay the foundation for a strong year or he could become lost to the game completely.

I don't mind the idea of going back but he's competing against better options in Richards, Dale, Daniel, and Duryea. His best option is to cement himself as a wing / forward.

If you go back to the start of our 2021 season, his form and influence in that role was very important. If you watch our highlights, you can see the impact he had on our goalscoring opportunities as well as the pressure he brings. I'd also put JJ in the same category. Both bring speed in our front half but need injury free seasons.

7. Likes GVGjr, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    His development has stalled because of injury. He's clearly rated within the four walls by his selection but hasn't had a consistent run.

They need to strip his program back and build his body up to stand up against the demands of AFL. He needs a full preseason to lay the foundation for a strong year or he could become lost to the game completely.

I don't mind the idea of going back but he's competing against better options in Richards, Dale, Daniel, and Duryea. His best option is to cement himself as a wing / forward.

If you go back to the start of our 2021 season, his form and influence in that role was very important. If you watch our highlights, you can see the impact he had on our goalscoring opportunities as well as the pressure he brings. I'd also put JJ in the same category. Both bring speed in our front half but need injury free seasons.
    He's had some moments, but he hasn't really had too many games where he's put it together as a forward. As a forward you really need to be able to either create (which requires footy IQ and skill) or hit the scoreboard. He does neither - in fact both are weaknesses in his game.

It could be argued he's played for his defensive pressure, which at times can be OK, but I believe you need more than just that if you're a forward at an elite level (and for a contending side). It basically means we're playing 1 option short, and we're already Naughton or bust.

Defensive pressure is important but you need to bring something else and he just doesn't.

It's back to half back for mine. I suspect the same issues (decision making, skill execution) mean this is risky but I feel it's his only hope. It was his natural position, he can break lines, and besides Dale we looked stifled all year.
    W00F!

9. Likes Swoop, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mercifully he didn’t pull a hamstring

Post Thanks / Like

Limited player for mine. His kicking is ordinary at best. I wonder if we’ll try him on a wing to use his pace. Shudder at the thought of him trying to hit a target.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

12. Likes josie, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Mercifully he didn’t pull a hamstring
    He did change lanes though and completely cut off his opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He did change lanes though and completely cut off his opponent.
    Thought they would have it on the straight like previous years.

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a one-sided ball butcher who doesn't find it very much.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Vandermeer shouldn't even be on our list but we need to keep Baz happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I would move him back and see how he goes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have been a defender, but he lost ,e this year. Going to need to take a huge leap in his development and get back to some of that dash and aggro that appealed to us early on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Have been a defender, but he lost ,e this year. Going to need to take a huge leap in his development and get back to some of that dash and aggro that appealed to us early on.
    He always appears to rush his possessions and as a result he turns the ball over too frequently.
    I really don't know how we can best use him next season.