Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  132
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Laitham Vandermeer

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    VDM’s improvement is as important as anyone next season imo. Outside of Naughton his the only player that chases with intent in the forward half. He has defensive attributes that our other forwards do not (and we need if we role if we role with the 3 tall forwards).

Also thought he was reasonable as a lockdown defender considering he came back from a significant injury and was learning a new role at afl level.

He’d be my first choice lockdown defender if we played him that end and my second choice small forward. And it’s line ball first forward as I think Weightman still plays a selfish brand and isn’t great defensively.
    Geez,

This could not be possibly further from the mark - when forward Cody dwarfs VDM for tackles, tackles inside 50, pressure acts ie all the defensive statistics. Not the mention the probably 100 odd more goals he?s kicked too.

How is Cody a selfish footballer? That is ridiculously harsh - what because he flies for marks? You do realise this has always been a massive part of his game and is a reason as to why he?s so good? Yes he needs to learn when to go and when to stay down, which he will - hes what 22yo? It?s not that simple of a thing to tell a marking target who?s spent their whole life being told to fly for everything they can get their hands to, to put that intent aside. It will come. It definitely doesn?t make him selfish.

There?s not a single person in the AFL world who would take VDM over Cody lol, one is one of the more highly rated young forwards in the league who will be a consistent 40 goal a year forward and one is a completely flawed ?athlete? Ho won?t be on a list within 2 years

Post Thanks / Like

If VDM can get fit, find continuity in his game and pick up on the initial promise he showed as a quick, hard nosed type of player we will find a spot for him, and be better for it. He is coming from a long way back though.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

3. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

VDM does not come across as a natural footballer with the times i have seen him cough it up. The match committee see positives in him , so they must have a purpose. I am afraid his one who just wont realy stand out in a team with his fumbles. I dont see it but hope he proves me wrong

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree MACCA. He is spirited and fast but I think he is a bit of a headless chook who also fumbles, plus his goal kicking accuracy is poor. Would also love to see him succeed as speed is something we are short of.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    VDM does not come across as a natural footballer with the times i have seen him cough it up. The match committee see positives in him , so they must have a purpose. I am afraid his one who just wont realy stand out in a team with his fumbles. I dont see it but hope he proves me wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Agree MACCA. He is spirited and fast but I think he is a bit of a headless chook who also fumbles, plus his goal kicking accuracy is poor. Would also love to see him succeed as speed is something we are short of.
    Agree with both of these points.

I've also been quick to criticise him because his mouth is bigger than his game. I am still in the "should get rid of him" list because I don't think he's going to bridge that gap.

That being said he's still in our colours so I want him to succeed. I'd also like him to succeed because a yappy guy with an attitude is actually something out team could really use.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Agree with both of these points.

I've also been quick to criticise him because his mouth is bigger than his game. I am still in the "should get rid of him" list because I don't think he's going to bridge that gap.

That being said he's still in our colours so I want him to succeed. I'd also like him to succeed because a yappy guy with an attitude is actually something out team could really use.
    Feel like he'd probably excel at Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a lock down Half Back and another speedy player in our best 22 is also required.

Will it be Laith. ?
    I hope so and this year will possibly define his AFL pathway, having been on the list 6 yrs this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SPower View Post
    We need a lock down Half Back and another speedy player in our best 22 is also required.

Will it be Laith. ?
    I hope so and this year will possibly define his AFL pathway, having been on the list 6 yrs this season.
    Laith appears to be training as a forward unlike last year when he had a few runs in the back half. To me he appears to be better suited as a defender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Is being best mates with Bailey Smith a reason why he is still with us. Just a meandering thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Laith appears to be training as a forward unlike last year when he had a few runs in the back half. To me he appears to be better suited as a defender.
    I agree, although for a while he led the comp in repeat sprints (playing as a defensive forward) so his defensive pressure in the front half is something we also lack.

I'm kind of hoping Charlie Clarke forces his way into the 22 sooner rather than later. I still think VDM could be that hard-arse small defender we need because right now we don't have many options on our list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers