That’s one nickname you don’t want

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Laitham Vandermeer

Good set of wheels on him
    Takes the game on

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Dogs Laitham!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

His stats are pretty good and was generally getting 20 or more touches a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    3.07 over 20m is quite on the slow side and his 5m and 10m sprint times were slower than the average ruckman, but perhaps once he gets up to speed he's ok.

He was at the top end of elite for vertical jump and agility so he's a good athlete overall.
    Hard to argue with those stats, but with all due respect, every single description I've read or heard about him, across every radio station, newspaper and social media mentions his pace as his major attribute.And he burns everyone around him off in the video package on the club website.
    Maybe he just performed poorly in the testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Hard to argue with those stats, but with all due respect, every single description I've read or heard about him, across every radio station, newspaper and social media mentions his pace as his major attribute.And he burns everyone around him off in the video package on the club website.
    Bont was in the bottom 10% for acceleration at draft camp but almost never gets caught.

Some players use their pace well, and some are average at acceleration but have good pace when they get there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that he looks to have good game awareness and knowledge of when to run hard and when to evade, irrespective of the poor testing times quoted.

Not sure whether it will translate to senior football as well as it looks to have in the TAC, as in the former everyone is fairly crafty and forwards have really good pace and a defensive mindset.

He has his chance, and I wish him all the best!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Given we have such a young list and we're well stocked for HBFers he gets to just develop without the pressure to debut early.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bont was in the bottom 10% for acceleration at draft camp but almost never gets caught.

Some players use their pace well, and some are average at acceleration but have good pace when they get there.

Michael Maclean wasn't the quickest player on the face of the planet but in his 98 (I think) games with us I never saw him once get done for dropping or holding the ball or even tackled successfully. He was like plasma in that they would try to grab a bit of him but that bit was gone in the time it took for the opposition player to think 'tackle him' and for that thought to travel through his brain and into his hands.

I loved Madge. Geez he was a good player. That centreline of Hawkins/Wallis/Maclean was brilliant.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    The difference is he is probably slow out of the blocks from a standing start. When playing football he is never really standing still so can accelerate quickly.
    He's known for his running and kudos to the club for looking past the combine results.
    Can you imagine in a couple of years if he and JJ get on a roll running the ball out of the backline?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally he gets his debut and a very happy boy

The Western Bulldogs will have a second debutant for the 2020 season, with Laitham Vandermeer to take his place against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

Vandermeer, a 21-year-old in his second year at VU Whitten Oval, has impressed the Dogs’ hierarchy with his form on the track since the players have returned from isolation.

He has had to bide his time before being given an opportunity to make his AFL debut, after being recruited from the Murray Bushrangers at pick 37 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge broke the news to the players after Thursday’s main training session at VU Whitten Oval.

Bevo announces debutant for Round 2
    Luke Beveridge announces Laitham Vandermeer as the next Bulldog to make his debut in Round 2 of the 2020 AFL Season.

“It still hasn’t sunk in. I had no idea. I went for a lap, came back and my name got called out. A few of the boys said my face went white,” Vandermeer said.

“It’s a long time coming, and I’ve dreamed about this day for a while. It’s finally good to get the reward for the hard work.”

Vandermeer played 15 games in the VFL for Footscray in 2019 (he missed eight games through injury), averaging 15 disposals.

Laitham Vandermeer calls his Mum to tell her the good news after he is told he'll be debuting on Sunday against St Kilda.

He saved his best game for the Club’s VFL final against Port Melbourne, collecting a season-high 24 possessions.

He was also the travelling AFL emergency for the Bulldogs’ Round 13 win against Port Adelaide last year.

Vandermeer signed a one-year contract extension in December, keeping him at the Club until at least the end of the 2021 season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty surprised we're playing him first up but I like it. He has pace and god knows our side needs more of it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Laaaaaaiiiith.
    Nice one. Tidy skills and some pace. Hope he rips it up.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good move by the coaching staff...in the VFL this kid loved tucking the ball under his arm and just running. Maybe Woofers can remember his performance in the last finals game of the 2019 VFL season (?)

If the 16 minute quarters are about 'burst' players, well he is our man. Well done Laith...
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a vfl watcher and he is a smooth mover with an accurate kick. I can recall a few speedy bursts.

Good luck to the Flying Dutchman!! (No idea if he has Dutch heritage- guessing from the surname he might!!!).