Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  132
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Laitham Vandermeer

My big concern with Laith is that he doesn't find enough of the ball. 33 games to his name and only two games with 15+ disposals. I'd like to see him tried as a defensive wingman, to negate the better wings in the game. His three assets imo are his pressure, his pace and his kicking depth. Playing forward really limits how well he can use the latter two. Like others I don't have a heap of faith in him hitting targets but the way he can take 20m with his run and hoof the ball could catch defences out in a Pagan's paddock style play.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

2. Likes Swoop, GVGjr, hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He just doesn't have the nous to play up forward. He can't play on instinct like most forwards do.

He is one of those players fortunate to be on a list because he has speed rather than his football ability.

I would teach him the art of tagging during the off season as he will learn of the best players he plays on as to where he needs to go and when.

Post Thanks / Like

He plays like a chook with his head cut off. An athlete more than a footballer, which is unfortunate given his tissue paper hamstrings and is currently just wasting a list spot.

I don’t mind the suggestions of him becoming a tagger or a lock down small defender. A role that requires little lateral thinking or footy IQ is his go, just tell him to follow an opponent and don’t let him get the ball.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes josie, bornadog, macca, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to leave him where he is and let him develop into the role. However, I reserve the right to lose my mind throughout the process given his brain fades and abovementioned issues.

He wasn't drafted as a forward, and the role we ask him to play is ridiculously hard. Crunch the ground, get back to be an offencive threat, be a defencive one if that doesn't work out, be opportunistic if it does, and don't shit the bed when you get it after the frenzy and under fatigue.

Having said that, he's going to be 24 at the start of the next season and we often forget he was drafted as a later age player. It's arguable whether he has more maturity left in him and whether he can balance his raw pace with a bit of composure. So for mine it should be his last year coming up, and if there was a thread around here that had contract information attached to it we could add more context to a possible claim of this being his last chance. But unfortunately it's just guess work.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Scorlibo, Swoop, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what do we do with this kid? Was impressive early putting his body on the line in a couple of crucial contests and providing much needed leg speed and forward pressure.

Nowadays the lure of the pressure is somewhat offset by poor discipline and the appeal of leg speed somewhat offset by his frequent injuries. Likewise other issues in his game such as poor/rushed disposal have become more evident.

So do we persist with him forward? The coaches seem to like him there.

Do we try him back? Is there someone in defence he can replace/that can play elsewhere? Playing in his natural position may help with some of his issues (Matty Boyd kicked better once in defence) and better utilise his strengths (pace to break the lines and open up the field)

Can he make the wing his own? Pace is valuable out wide and we know he can attack a contest hard when the ball spills out in his direction.

In summary... what do?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about him Hujsh. VDM has the tools to be an excellent player but something gets lost in the translation.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like him to move to a wing role as I don't think it has worked out being a small forward.

Could he swap with Caleb? Caleb is an elite kick, so it would be a risk
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His strengths are physical and attitudinal: he is pacy and goes in hard for the ball, including chasing and tackling.

But...his disposal by hand and foot needs heaps of work, including kicking for goal. Does not seem to have much natural vision for spotting up team mates quickly or picking the best option. Can find it hard to rack up possessions. Then there are the repeated hamstring injuries...

I want him to improve so that he becomes decent depth or even solid 22 because we have invested several years in him by the end of next season. At the moment, there are too many skill problems with his game.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would like him to move to a wing role as I don't think it has worked out being a small forward.

Could he swap with Caleb? Caleb is an elite kick, so it would be a risk
    He is close to the worst kick for goal in the team. Set shot or on the run.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Depth player break glass in case of emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    His strengths are physical and attitudinal: he is pacy and goes in hard for the ball, including chasing and tackling.

But...his disposal by hand and foot needs heaps of work, including kicking for goal. Does not seem to have much natural vision for spotting up team mates quickly or picking the best option. Can find it hard to rack up possessions. Then there are the repeated hamstring injuries...

I want him to improve so that he becomes decent depth or even solid 22 because we have invested several years in him by the end of next season. At the moment, there are too many skill problems with his game.
    Would these attibutse best suit a wing? Or a different position?

Maybe a low possession but high impact, line breaking role on the wing where he can keep it simple and kick the ball long to Laughton/Lobb deep forward one out would suit him best?

When not on a fast break we don't pressure him to be involved and maybe he sits back a bit to help out on the turnover?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    He is close to the worst kick for goal in the team. Set shot or on the run.
    Is he that bad? I thought Hunter was the worst, not sure who takes the mantle now he and Dunks are gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is he that bad? I thought Hunter was the worst, not sure who takes the mantle now he and Dunks are gone.
    Might be Bailey Smith, went at 23% accuracy this year - 6.10 from 26 shots. Vandermeer 4.3 from 9 shots at 44%

Alex Keath is the goal kicking king - 3.0 from 3 shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Aparently (AFL stats) for this year it's Hunter, (22%), B.Smith (23%), Bruce (33%), and before peope get on the anti-Bruce pro-Schache train from this stat next up is surprisingly Schache with 35%

Usually Bruce is a good shot so of the players left it's probably the Baileys of Smith and Williams (38%) variety.

Weightman unsurprisingly the best of anyone with many goals (63%) and Naughts second of anyone with 10 or more (52%).

Laith with 44, Dunks 46 and Bont 45 are around the middle of the pack

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter, Dunkley and VDM have all kicked more behinds than goals in their career
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.