Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  132
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Laitham Vandermeer

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He was going OK until the pressure got dialed up a bit and then lost his mind at a couple of critical points. The fumble and the stupid high tackle were really costly.

I get we had issues all over the ground today in the second half, but you have to call those things out - particularly the high tackle (as a skill error is a skill error), because it's undisciplined and unthinking and it happens too much with him.
    Yep. Looking at his career stats.

20 goals, 24 behinds plus complete misses (a miserable 45% goal accuracy, and worse once misses counted)
    21 frees for, 30 frees against (40% worse differential)

Today:

0.2 when we needed to rack up scores
    No frees for, Dumb free could’ve cost the win

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. Right on brand. But the MC love him and the list manager loves him, so maybe he will turn all his exposed form around.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The trouble is we lack leg speed and I think he got a contract on that. Powers shopping list at the end of the season I hope has leg speed and kicking skills hi on the list because in the next 2 years I hope LVM is a break glass option only.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've lost our way when thinking about our smalls.

If you're not strong in a contest or strong overhead, then you need to be good at ground balls, and clean with first hands and disposal. Being quick isn't enough if you're not doing the other bits right - and not all of our smalls are quick!

In VDM's case I actually think he's not a bad investment because he has shown instances of doing things right over the journey, but if he doesn't mature quickly and stop the brain fades that cost us then I don't see how he takes the next step.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    The trouble is we lack leg speed and I think he got a contract on that. Powers shopping list at the end of the season I hope has leg speed and kicking skills hi on the list because in the next 2 years I hope LVM is a break glass option only.
    Probably right. But we can get Usain Bolt as a Cat B rookie if we want speed. Surely bring a half decent footballer is more important. His career accuracy at goal is likely sub 40% which is horrendous. Giving away 40% more frees over his career than he’s getting is not good. What good is speed if you can’t hit target, can’t kick goals and are undisciplined?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Probably right. But we can get Usain Bolt as a Cat B rookie if we want speed. Surely bring a half decent footballer is more important. His career accuracy at goal is likely sub 40% which is horrendous. Giving away 40% more frees over his career than he’s getting is not good. What good is speed if you can’t hit target, can’t kick goals and are undisciplined?
    I agree. I also had him in the delist at the end of the year which won't happen now. When he first come on the scene I was quite optimistic with him being quick and aggressive but as time has gone on I have lost faith that he can perform at this level.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I agree. I also had him in the delist at the end of the year which won't happen now. When he first come on the scene I was quite optimistic with him being quick and aggressive but as time has gone on I have lost faith that he can perform at this level.
    Honestly. His best achievement in our jumper might be winning a grand final halftime sprint. He’s not improving. But he’s not alone, our development of players is piss poor. It seems like he trains hard and seems like a likeable kid. But that unfortunately doesn’t make you an AFEL player. Even keeping your feet with Papley, irrespective of anything else. Just keep your feet. I just can’t trust him, and he’s got finger prints on crucial moments in two narrow losses when we will miss finals. It not his fault we lost. But he doesn’t know or can’t deliver his lines.

7. Likes EasternWest, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly. His best achievement in our jumper might be winning a grand final halftime sprint. He’s not improving. But he’s not alone, our development of players is piss poor. It seems like he trains hard and seems like a likeable kid. But that unfortunately doesn’t make you an AFEL player. Even keeping your feet with Papley, irrespective of anything else. Just keep your feet. I just can’t trust him, and he’s got finger prints on crucial moments in two narrow losses when we will miss finals. It not his fault we lost. But he doesn’t know or can’t deliver his lines.
    Lets not forget his match winning point in that final against Brisbane

He has got the tools to be a handy footballer so i hope he can put it all together.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't see it with VDM.

Pace which he uses sporadically, poor footy IQ, limited by foot, not great in the contest because he's not clean.

It's nice to be fast but you need more than that.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Lets not forget his match winning point in that final against Brisbane

He has got the tools to be a handy footballer so i hope he can put it all together.
    What tools does he have to be a handy AFEL level footballer?

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly. His best achievement in our jumper might be winning a grand final halftime sprint. He?s not improving. But he?s not alone, our development of players is piss poor. It seems like he trains hard and seems like a likeable kid. But that unfortunately doesn?t make you an AFEL player. Even keeping your feet with Papley, irrespective of anything else. Just keep your feet. I just can?t trust him, and he?s got finger prints on crucial moments in two narrow losses when we will miss finals. It not his fault we lost. But he doesn?t know or can?t deliver his lines.
    Papley is a quick , natural footballer , with very good balance, as he does not fall over

No disrespect to VdM on his efforts , but his not a natural footballer. i am yet to be convinced he is actually quick. You need to be quick and long kick or chase down tackler .

Post Thanks / Like

What tools does he have to be a handy AFEL level footballer?
    His runnning ability mostly, he does have footy ability(hes not a smart player though). I guess he needs the right role.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

His runnning ability mostly, he does have footy abilty(hes not a smart player though). I guess he needs the right role.
    He misses more than 3 of every 5 shots on goal. He can’t hit targets, is undisciplined and not a high IQ defensive type and struggles with things like keeping his feet in the contest. And picks and chooses when he runs.

So if it’s just his running ability, what’s the right role for him?

Post Thanks / Like

He misses more than 3 of every 5 shots on goal. He can’t hit targets, is undisciplined and not a high IQ defensive type and struggles with things like keeping his feet in the contest. And picks and chooses when he runs.

So if it’s just his running ability, what’s the right role for him?
    I guess someone at the club must see something worth while in him at the club. We have another 2 seasons to find out so strap in.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess someone at the club must see something worth while in him at the club. We have another 2 seasons to find out so strap in.
    I agree, we will be watching him for a while. I was trying to see what you see in him and where he should play.

Post Thanks / Like

He’s not a forward. If we persist, we have to use him as a runner from the back half.

Ultimately a JJ replacement?