Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Senior Bulldogs - Will Hayes

Persistence pays off, and now he gets his chance to show us he can make it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Senior Bulldogs - Will Hayes

Good luck to Hayes. Would be a great story if he makes it. Picken-like.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

You can feel the hunger of Hayes & Cavarra already. No more complacency about being selected in the 22, work hard or enjoy playing VFL.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have seen Will seldom fumbles, quick thinker and is a reasonable kick and kind of glides across the ground. Go Hayes-beat the rest by a country mile!! And remember to wear your RWB silks. I think he might do better than quite a few think.

7. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A reward for hard work. Has been the stand out player in our VFL team over the past 2-3 seasons

Post Thanks / Like

The son of horse trainer David Hayes.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

And now his brother has been invited down to Footscray (don't remember his name but he's had a couple of years playing vfl for Footscray) to see if he can reignite the passion to get in a senior AFL list.

Another set if brothers at the sibling club!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And now his brother has been invited down to Footscray (don't remember his name but he's had a couple of years playing vfl for Footscray) to see if he can reignite the passion to get in a senior AFL list.

Twins aren't they? Yep, JD Hayes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Twins aren't they? Yep, JD Hayes

Correct.

Post Thanks / Like

I have probably seen most of the matches that Will Hayes has played since he came to Footscray.

Will Hayes has steadily improved over the years. He was good from when we first played him.

Will Hayes seems to be better than the average footballer in all relevant skills. Kicking, Marking, Balking, Handpassing, Running Bounce etc. He gets plenty of the ball and goes in hard. Doesn't seem to make mistakes or stuff things up. It seemed to be obvious half-way through this year that Hayes had impressed enough to get AFL drafted. I remember yelling out to him at the end of a game when the players were walking up the race - 'AFL for you next year Will!' And he smiled.

It is great that we drafted him. You would think that with scheduled AFL training we might even see improvement in him. Will has not shown exceptional brilliance - but it may come.

By the time that season 2019 is on the way, where Will fits into our exceptionally gifted list of midfielders is uncertain. He is definitely better than Porter, Roarke Smith, Webb, Greene and Lin Jong. Maybe better or on a par with Lipinski but below Wallis. Whether or not he can outperform the others and get himself a regular spot in the senior 18 remains to be seen.

I think that Will has willpower and Will will will himself to do better.

J D Hayes is Will's twin brother but Will was always the better of the two. I don't know why we would want JD Hayes back at Footscray. Maybe he has improved too.

14. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs, Greystache, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes josie, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cumming View Post
    I think that Will has willpower and Will will will himself to do better.
    nice
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cumming View Post
    J D Hayes is Will's twin brother but Will was always the better of the two. I don't know why we would want JD Hayes back at Footscray. Maybe he has improved too.
    I've been impressed by Hayes at Footscray, albeit I've sen far less games than you have. Not sure he's a candidate for an AFL list but is very good at VFL level.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

On the flip side of this story, our VFL team has seen Hannan, Long, Gowers & now Hayes taken into an AFL set up in the last few years. That's a great advertisement and selling point for guys with afl ambitions to join Footscray VFL.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes azabob, Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    On the flip side of this story, our VFL team has seen Hannan, Long, Gowers & now Hayes taken into an AFL set up in the last few years. That's a great advertisement and selling point for guys with afl ambitions to join Footscray VFL.
    The tall skinny centre half back that was rookied by st Kilda but only lasted a year or two there as well. I can't remember his name.

Post Thanks / Like

The tall skinny centre half back that was rookied by st Kilda but only lasted a year or two there as well. I can't remember his name.
    Nick Coughlan; it's a shame because I really liked what he gave Footscray and thought he was a player. Of course I was more worried that GWS would just go dibs since he was from the Riverina and all.