Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  26
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Senior Bulldogs - Will Hayes

He's really not AFL quality. He just crumbles under any sort of pressure. I haven't missed him tbh.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's really not AFL quality. He just crumbles under any sort of pressure. I haven't missed him tbh.
    The I guess the question to ask is why did the penny drop to the match committee now instead of last year?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe conditions aren't suiting him? Some of the games have turned into real slogs

(haven't really enjoyed the spectacle of a heap of dropped marks in greasy dew @ Metricon)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

He certainly contributed to our late season wins.

I would have thought he should have had some sort of look in by now.

Unfortunately with the lack of visibility and scarce reports on scratch matches we have no idea what is happening.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been sucked into the same black hole as Lewis Young, Fergus Greene, Josh Schache, Brad Lynch, Ben Cavarra and co.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He's been sucked into the same black hole as Lewis Young, Fergus Greene, Josh Schache, Brad Lynch, Ben Cavarra and co.
    Rightly or wrongly, I suspect there has been a line drawn through the bulk of these players with reduced lists expected this year, and the club doesn't see any value at all in giving these players any meaningful senior game time. I disagree with that sentiment for some of these players
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Rightly or wrongly, I suspect there has been a line drawn through the bulk of these players with reduced lists expected this year, and the club doesn't see any value at all in giving these players any meaningful senior game time. I disagree with that sentiment for some of these players
    We only need to look at the emergence of Joel Hamling in 2016, to see evidence that players can turn it around if an opportunity is presented.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    We only need to look at the emergence of Joel Hamling in 2016, to see evidence that players can turn it around if an opportunity is presented.
    True - but for every Joel Hamling, there are seven Jarrad Boumann's
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The I guess the question to ask is why did the penny drop to the match committee now instead of last year?
    I feel they gave him an extended run at it last year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think you're around the mark and it's been a bug bear of mine for years that we don't go hard enough with our list management cuts at the end of the year and then effectively rule lines through players early on in the next season.

Given we are right into the compressed component of the season we should have an open mind on selections and be prepared to play the right players. If they don't perform, move them aside.

It's frustrating to me that we played Hayes last year before he was ready for what 5 successive games and he of course performed below expectations and then brought him back later in the year when his form supported that selection and where he performed better than OK and now he appears to be on the outer again.

It's a bit of a lotto trying to work out our selections process.

14. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit of a lotto trying to work out our selections process.
    It is when you don't know what is going on. At least when the VFL was playing we could see the form of players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It is when you don't know what is going on. At least when the VFL was playing we could see the form of players.
    I'm not sure that made any difference at all, plenty of players have been promoted into the seniors without VFL form to support it
    Hayes in the first part of last year a clear example of that
    I'm not convinced that form is a prime reason for inclusion into the side at the moment

17. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced that form is a prime reason for inclusion into the side at the moment
    This is a professional sport and I am not sure what you mean by this statement. What other reason could there be?

All players have a role to play and if they don't follow the coaches instructions and don't fulfill the role, then they don't get selected.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is a professional sport and I am not sure what you mean by this statement. What other reason could there be?

All players have a role to play and if they don't follow the coaches instructions and don't fulfill the role, then they don't get selected.
    So if form is the be all, why is Bruce playing each week regardless?
    I think we are overthinking selections, when we got our act together from a selections perspective last year we were a vastly better side

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    He certainly contributed to our late season wins.

I would have thought he should have had some sort of look in by now.

Unfortunately with the lack of visibility and scarce reports on scratch matches we have no idea what is happening.
    I think people tend to forget just how good Hayes was during our run late last year. Go jump on Al's highlights channel and watch some of our games form the end of 2019, Hayes plays a great part in a lot of that. No idea why he hasn't been given a chance this year, but what do we have to lose at this point? I'd almost drop JJ for Hayes at this point, have Hayes play the same position off half-back, we know he has the tank for it.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016