Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  161
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Jordon Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why would he say he has had a deal on the table if it isn't true?
    Clarified my comment. I've no doubt there's a deal but I don't think we rate him. He's there as insurance in case English gets injured.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Don't think that's relevant as Lobb and Sweet play different roles. You might say play English in the Lobb role and ruck Sweet but clearly the club considers English a ruck first and foremost so that's who Sweet is competing with for a spot.
    There was no chance Sweet plays once Lobb came. We would never play English, Lobb and Sweet in the same side. We were even choosing to play Darcy as an extra tall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    There was no chance Sweet plays once Lobb came. We would never play English, Lobb and Sweet in the same side. We were even choosing to play Darcy as an extra tall.
    Sweet is going to be behind 3 players now.

His a back up ruckman. Not sure if he is comfortable with that or seeks greater opportunity. I would be surprised if his still on our list next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you actually think that changed once Lobb came across though? Personally I think Sweet was not getting a look in unless English was injured or unable to ruck for some reason. We'd just have seen Hannan, Khamis, Darcy and others rotate through that second ruck role more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you actually think that changed once Lobb came across though? Personally I think Sweet was not getting a look in unless English was injured or unable to ruck for some reason. We'd just have seen Hannan, Khamis, Darcy and others rotate through that second ruck role more often.
    True. It probably didn't change but it was just one extra message sent. Sam is just trying to up the asking price but everything we've seen clearly suggests we don't intend to play Sweet at AFL level unless we have no other choice.

Post Thanks / Like

From the Gettable Vodcast"

Sam Power
    Don't see any issue with this quote. It's just facts?
    He has had a really good year at vfl level.
    He is sitting behind the All Australian ruck.
    We do want to keep him - a quality back up is a great strategy. Tom Campbell, Dan Currie and plenty of others have 10+ year careers out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well of course he'll say that to drive a hard bargain! We never play him and went and recruited Lobb so clearly don't rate him. I'm surprised we offered him a deal tbh. Wouldn't blame Jordan for taking unders elsewhere. We seem to think we can treat players poorly and still expect them to sign on with us. Didn't work with Dunkley or Young and won't work with Sweet.
    Are we any different from other clubs in this regard? I wouldn?t think so. I don?t get the treated poorly line - rather lack of opportunities. This happens everywhere and for whatever reason some players don?t get a gig in the firsts team. Look at Baker or Poulter they have found spots with us but it just didn?t work out for them with their previous clubs. Swings and roundabouts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    We do want to keep him - a quality back up is a great strategy. Tom Campbell, Dan Currie and plenty of others have 10+ year careers out of it.
    I like to keep Sweet for potential to be one club Eker royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I don?t think it was sensible to play Darcy in a contact role so early. Too much chance he would be injured, so not surprised that it kept happening.

Post Thanks / Like

That hitout that Khamis got a few weeks ago was a thing of beauty. Won?t be repeated often in our lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Yep. There are worse ways to earn $300k+ per year…

No issue with the comment either. Sweet is a good back up option for first ruck, and with Lobb’s age, Darcy’s injury history in his short career and English out of contract next year there are worse things we could do than keep him for another two years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more than happy to keep Sweet. I just don't think Sweet is dumb enough to hang around. But then again ruckman don't seem to make the best career decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would he say he has had a deal on the table if it isn't true?
    The issue I see. Why would he say we had a deal on the table for ?a year? this lets all other clubs know that he is gettable. They will chase hard and with anyone I. Competitive sport. You want to go to the dance not sit on the sidelines. Sweet knows (like we do) he can play. But he has seen Schacke, Young, etc on the same roundabout as himself

I like Sweet a lot and hope he stays but gets an opportunity to be number one ruck with Tim centre half forward.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    The issue I see. Why would he say we had a deal on the table for ?a year? this lets all other clubs know that he is gettable. They will chase hard and with anyone I. Competitive sport. You want to go to the dance not sit on the sidelines. Sweet knows (like we do) he can play. But he has seen Schacke, Young, etc on the same roundabout as himself

I like Sweet a lot and hope he stays but gets an opportunity to be number one ruck with Tim centre half forward.
    Because all other clubs already know he's gettable. His management would be out there selling him as a ready and waiting number 1 ruck stuck behind the reigning AA champ who's ready to move for opportunity. If he doesn't like the offers (no clubs offering decent playing time or more money or whatever) he knows he's got an offer on the table from the club and that they're happy to keep him.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sweet gets a chance to be number 1 ruck, or regular games somewhere else, I wouldn't blame him.

Back in the 70s, we had Gary Dempsey, one of the all time best AFL ruckman. We also had Barry Round who was also good but couldn't get a crack at it, so he left Footscray and went to Sydney. Ended up with a Brownlow, but no one could blame him for leaving.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.