Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  78
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You do that Buku

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Maybe. He looks pretty ripped but i know thats not necessarily indicative.

Regardless i think it's pretty on brand that we've given out multiple extensions to a player who has always been marginal at best and when he finally seems to have figured out how he can contribute we lose interest in even acknowledging his existence.
    This is my exact frustration. 5 years to now ignore him. If his flaws are apparent and obvious as some have suggested, then what are we doing pumping 5 years into him and his deficiencies as a player then?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This is my exact frustration. 5 years to now ignore him. If his flaws are apparent and obvious as some have suggested, then what are we doing pumping 5 years into him and his deficiencies as a player then?
    He got 5 games on the forward line and was no worse than Lobb?s. Actually got 3 goals in one game, Lobb?s best has been 2.

Got a few games on the back line, all better than JOD.

Theres deficiencies and then theres deficiencies.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    He got 5 games on the forward line and was no worse than Lobb?s. Actually got 3 goals in one game, Lobb?s best has been 2.

I agree. Whilst I don't see Buku as a backman, the Lobb recruitment has taken his main avenue to getting a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Maybe. He looks pretty ripped but i know thats not necessarily indicative.

Regardless i think it's pretty on brand that we've given out multiple extensions to a player who has always been marginal at best and when he finally seems to have figured out how he can contribute we lose interest in even acknowledging his existence.
    Maybe he's too ripped? Like all that upper body muscle at a certain point is just more mass you have to drag around slowing you down if you're not doing a lot of contested work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe he's too ripped? Like all that upper body muscle at a certain point is just more mass you have to drag around slowing you down if you're not doing a lot of contested work.
    Being too ripped is what ruined my potential hall of fame career. It’s a curse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I think we can say most WOOFers are cursed with that affliction
    Last edited by hujsh; 01-07-2023 at 11:42 AM.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

This is where raw stats don't tell the story.

Lobb gives more presence in the ruck when he goes there.
    He is also more mobile to my eye to assist with defending.

On the backline he is not able to cover the ground required, which JOD seems more capable of.

Buku just hasn't developed the running capacity. Some players make other compensations.

Liam Jones is not an endurance runner but makes up for that with speed and it appears that he recovers from his efforts well to be ready for the next contest.

Buku needs to develop speed or endurance to go with his marking ability and 5 years in it doesn't seem to be happening.

It may be a mental thing as athletes need to learn and understand pushing through the lactic barriers.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes whythelongface, WBFC4FFC, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    "All-State talent, just TOO Strong...."

https://twitter.com/DanielMcKim/stat...480037891?s=20
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    This is where raw stats don't tell the story.

Lobb gives more presence in the ruck when he goes there.
    He is also more mobile to my eye to assist with defending.

On the backline he is not able to cover the ground required, which JOD seems more capable of.

Buku just hasn't developed the running capacity. Some players make other compensations.

Liam Jones is not an endurance runner but makes up for that with speed and it appears that he recovers from his efforts well to be ready for the next contest.

Buku needs to develop speed or endurance to go with his marking ability and 5 years in it doesn't seem to be happening.

It may be a mental thing as athletes need to learn and understand pushing through the lactic barriers.
    I watched Khamis play on the backline against st Kilda last year and was impressed. He was one of our best and kept St Kilda out when they were mounting a comeback. Now we have significant injuries in the backline he can?t get a game because he is inadequate as a forward. Strange.

18 possessions and 7 marks in a defensive position is definitely AFL standard. Only the midfielders had more that night.

14. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Khamis with another four goals today, with 20 minutes left to play.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks GVGjr, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buku will absolutely get a go elsewhere:

12 VFL games in 2023 for 27.13 (better than 66% goal kicking accuracy) - right now equal 6th in the VFL Coleman.

Over a full season, that’s over 50 goals. That’s what we have in our list, a third tall forward (accurate) kicking 50 goals a year in the VFL - who looks like not getting a AFEL game this year. But like Smith and the midfield minutes, he can’t get a game in their best spot. Like Sweet being ranked #1 ruck in the VFL, no doubt Sweet & Buku have already got new a home/s to consider.

I think another club might snap up a bargain with Buku and I hope he doesn’t make us look overly silly as we struggle to kick winning scores and kick for goal accurately. But he’s not in our plans so I wish him well, ideally just not when playing us.

18. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Buku will absolutely get a go elsewhere:

12 VFL games in 2023 for 27.13 (better than 66% goal kicking accuracy) - right now equal 6th in the VFL Coleman.

Over a full season, that?s over 50 goals. That?s what we have in our list, a third tall forward (accurate) kicking 50 goals a year in the VFL - who looks like not getting a AFEL game this year. But like Smith and the midfield minutes, he can?t get a game in their best spot. Like Sweet being ranked #1 ruck in the VFL, no doubt Sweet & Buku have already got new a home/s to consider.

I think another club might snap up a bargain with Buku and I hope he doesn?t make us look overly silly as we struggle to kick winning scores and kick for goal accurately. But he?s not in our plans so I wish him well, ideally just not when playing us.
    And this is what peeves me about our match committee. What it must do for his confidence when a player like JOD has the arms of the MC wrapped around him, while Buku gets a slap across the chops. It makes no sense to us on here. Imagine what it must feel like for the player, and ofcourse others players seeing this pan out.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope he stays, he's been really good at VFL level this season and has deserved a call up. The improvement has been there and he can be an AFL footballer if given the time. Sadly I think it'll be somewhere else, I mean why would he want to stay after this season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    And this is what peeves me about our match committee. What it must do for his confidence when a player like JOD has the arms of the MC wrapped around him, while Buku gets a slap across the chops. It makes no sense to us on here. Imagine what it must feel like for the player, and ofcourse others players seeing this pan out.
    He loves the club, you can hear it when he speaks. But, he also wants a longer career so he will leave (or be delisted as let him leave as a DFA) and will have suitors as a 50 goal season, accurate kick for goal, a mature player with many years in the AFEL system is not a bad target for a last spot in a list. He just needs to move on for opportunities and see if he can make the grade. Like others, simply, his future is elsewhere. Which means despite strong form, why play him if he’s not around for next year? I get the feeling we will have a handful of trade our requests.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    That’s one of the reasons I think I’ve lost faith in Bevo. There is little or at least inconsistent selection integrity. That and the elevation of VFL battlers who IMO clog our list. Mind you, if we make a PF this year my faith might just wobble back again.

24. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post