I couldn't have been more disappointed with the coverage of the draft by Foxtel.

Thursday night lacked continuity and it was very muddled and confusing. Trying to 'Americanise' it failed miserably but at least the Foxtel hosts tried to keep people informed. When I compare it though to American draft presentations our commentary teams lacks the ability to understanding and explain what is actually unfolding. They needed someone like Pelchen to better explain what the trades actually meant. He would have got it straight away.

Friday's show was some of the poorest sports broadcasting I've ever seen although Mick Ablett and Kevin Sheehan really do know their players and share some great insights. Both are there to talk about the players not to explain the machinations of the trades and positioning by the clubs which ended up being a key component of the night.
Steve Hocking though struggled in an almost deer in the headlight effort and should be banished from being a front man in the AFL if that effort is an accurate reflection of his skill set.
It's bad enough the AFL let him screw up the competition rules but it's almost criminal to see him butcher a whole coverage. Surely someone should have sent out the runner early and moved him to the bench. In Boxing parlance, the towel should have been thrown in or there should have been someone yelling out 'No Mas' to end that farce.

One other part that irritated me no end was seeing the Carlton 'war room' (Another bit of American crap) congratulating themselves on getting that last minute deal done with Adelaide. They've no doubt landed an excellent player in Liam Stocker but given they have wrecked a number of careers by not being able to develop talent in the right way it was almost sickening to see SOS and the crew getting so excited about bringing in another top end talent into the AFL's version of 'death valley'. For the sake of the player lets hope Stocker ends up being smarter than his teachers.

Dodoro's little fist pump for bringing in Irving Mosquito was at best juvenile. What a tosser

It's not all negative though just seeing Scott Clayton in the West Coast recruiting team huddle gives me hope that the Premiers might be in for a bit of a slide over time. I wonder if he added much more than "but he's too fat" to the discussions?

Seriously though, the presentation of the draft was pretty poor. It's got a lot of work to do to get it up to scratch.
They need to get significantly better at explaining what is happening with the trades and while it might be something they get better with they did have a long time to get ready and prepare for it and I think they came up well short of the mark.