Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Draft Coverage

I couldn't have been more disappointed with the coverage of the draft by Foxtel.

Thursday night lacked continuity and it was very muddled and confusing. Trying to 'Americanise' it failed miserably but at least the Foxtel hosts tried to keep people informed. When I compare it though to American draft presentations our commentary teams lacks the ability to understanding and explain what is actually unfolding. They needed someone like Pelchen to better explain what the trades actually meant. He would have got it straight away.

Friday's show was some of the poorest sports broadcasting I've ever seen although Mick Ablett and Kevin Sheehan really do know their players and share some great insights. Both are there to talk about the players not to explain the machinations of the trades and positioning by the clubs which ended up being a key component of the night.
    Steve Hocking though struggled in an almost deer in the headlight effort and should be banished from being a front man in the AFL if that effort is an accurate reflection of his skill set.
    It's bad enough the AFL let him screw up the competition rules but it's almost criminal to see him butcher a whole coverage. Surely someone should have sent out the runner early and moved him to the bench. In Boxing parlance, the towel should have been thrown in or there should have been someone yelling out 'No Mas' to end that farce.

One other part that irritated me no end was seeing the Carlton 'war room' (Another bit of American crap) congratulating themselves on getting that last minute deal done with Adelaide. They've no doubt landed an excellent player in Liam Stocker but given they have wrecked a number of careers by not being able to develop talent in the right way it was almost sickening to see SOS and the crew getting so excited about bringing in another top end talent into the AFL's version of 'death valley'. For the sake of the player lets hope Stocker ends up being smarter than his teachers.

Dodoro's little fist pump for bringing in Irving Mosquito was at best juvenile. What a tosser

It's not all negative though just seeing Scott Clayton in the West Coast recruiting team huddle gives me hope that the Premiers might be in for a bit of a slide over time. I wonder if he added much more than "but he's too fat" to the discussions?

Seriously though, the presentation of the draft was pretty poor. It's got a lot of work to do to get it up to scratch.
    They need to get significantly better at explaining what is happening with the trades and while it might be something they get better with they did have a long time to get ready and prepare for it and I think they came up well short of the mark.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Draft Coverage

Just Foxtel things.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, tell us what you really think G.

Look on the bright side, at least that snotty nosed Barrett wasn't involved in the broadcast.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Foxtel needed to bring in a yank from the US Foxtel sports department to give them a hand on how it should go down.
    I haven't seen the US production but I would assume it's more entertaining.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Maybe Foxtel needed to bring in a yank from the US Foxtel sports department to give them a hand on how it should go down.
    I haven't seen the US production but I would assume it's more entertaining.
    Perhaps you're right because if you are going to model an Australian show on what works in America then maybe they should have gone all in by bringing in the experts.
    You've reminded me however, about an episode of ABC's show Frontline from many years ago where management deemed it was necessary to bring in a Mr Fixit from the US to address declining ratings. New hairdo's, positivity, morning huddles, changing desk locations to improve 'the flow' and every bit of useless modern management idea's were tried and ultimately ignored.

So the AFL and their partner Foxtel have a show that sort of works and is tailored to the more footy fanatics. They have experts from the elite pathway that provide interesting insights on the type of players clubs are selecting but when live trading is introduced they don't have a list manager or a recent coach that can explain to their viewing audience with some level of accuracy what is happening with the trades and why clubs are likely making the trades that they are.
    It can't be up to Ablett and Sheehan to make up that gap. That is not their area to do so.
    Someone like Pelchen, Buckenara or Wallace or perhaps even a panel of them might have added a lot more to the coverage.

Did anyone think it was a good coverage from a content and information perspective? Ablett and Sheehan did their jobs but the trades that happened were really poorly explained and of course then there was Steve Hocking as well topping off the effort.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If we're talking about things that were annoying the draft guy was asked who the most obvious overlooked player was and he said Jordan Clark. Jordan Clark was the next picked player and the guy gushes 'Stephen Wells is a genius isn't he?'

YOU JUST SAID HE WAS THE OBVIOUS SLIDER! He also has done nothing to prove he was a good pickup.

Gave me the shits anyway

9. Likes GVGjr, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Dodoro’s fist pump was a coverup for ‘bugger ... we stuffed up’. Mosquito will be a good player, but in that draft he wasn’t worth pick 38; their first pick. They tried to make Hawthorn pay more, but it backfired.

In regard to the Foxtel coverage; I was quite pleased with it. Not for the content or the presenters. More the fact I was on camp with my school and was able to watch it on my mobile
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You've reminded me however, about an episode of ABC's show Frontline from many years ago where management deemed it was necessary to bring in a Mr Fixit from the US to address declining ratings. New hairdo's, positivity, morning huddles, changing desk locations to improve 'the flow' and every bit of useless modern management idea's were tried and ultimately ignored.

Changing the Face of Current Affairs, excellent episode and a very good comparison:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOD64o3uqNU
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If we're talking about things that were annoying the draft guy was asked who the most obvious overlooked player was and he said Jordan Clark. Jordan Clark was the next picked player and the guy gushes 'Stephen Wells is a genius isn't he?'

YOU JUST SAID HE WAS THE OBVIOUS SLIDER! He also has done nothing to prove he was a good pickup.

Gave me the shits anyway
    That gave me the shits. All Wells did was not trade the pick away and pick the next best available with it. How does that qualify for genius status?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That gave me the shits. All Wells did was not trade the pick away and pick the next best available with it. How does that qualify for genius status?
    Apparently I'm a genius too because I'd have made the same choice based on nothing but the discussion here.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I thought Dodoro’s fist pump was a coverup for ‘bugger ... we stuffed up’. Mosquito will be a good player, but in that draft he wasn’t worth pick 38; their first pick. They tried to make Hawthorn pay more, but it backfired.
    That was my thought at the time as well. The fist pump appeared awfully contrived.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I couldn't have been more disappointed with the coverage of the draft by Foxtel.
    There is no doubt much room for improvement from a production viewpoint and with their presenters being better prepared on the nuances, tactics and loopholes of the points system and how Clubs were endeavouring to better their position.

I can recall David King being asked what was behind Sydney’s first trade with West Coast and he had no idea, admitting as much on screen.

Also, there was an awful amount of viewing time just spent looking at a different room of blokes in some discussion, with muted sound to the viewing audience making for terrible TV viewing.

The forever over used and and boring worshipping of Stephen Wells, Graham Wright and Dodo being the recruiting messiahs was in full force by the presenters, almost matching it with what we’ve come to expect with Channel 7’s bland, rhetorical commentary team in this regard. However I did feel that Michael Ablett was the stand out presenter and did a great job himself.

And as you commented on, and as we’ve come to expect, anything that involves Gil, Hocking and co taking centre stage is akin to the worst performances of Red Faces and should be avoided at all costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    That was my thought at the time as well. The fist pump appeared awfully contrived.
    For a bloke who manages recruiting and list management for a team that hasn't won a final in 14 years (and counting), this deadshit sure gets a lot of bouquets from the meedya.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

The big difference is that there just isn’t the interest of lower levels like the Americans have
    I mean the league like the college system and the interest and coverage is just on a different scale .
    I like Ablett there , and have say a pelchen or a credentialed list manager there .Stephen Hocking was god awful and Gilligan coming in and out from behind a curtain was something from a year 10 drama production .
    We have a dedicated footy channel yet we still don’t see any of these kids play ! Do we really need to see quality tv like bounce 15 times a week? They could just do it so much better .
    On a side note great to see Johnno’s new do and conceding finally to male pattern baldness

19. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The big difference is that there just isn’t the interest of lower levels like the Americans have
    I mean the league like the college system and the interest and coverage is just on a different scale .
    I like Ablett there , and have say a pelchen or a credentialed list manager there .Stephen Hocking was god awful and Gilligan coming in and out from behind a curtain was something from a year 10 drama production .
    We have a dedicated footy channel yet we still don’t see any of these kids play ! Do we really need to see quality tv like bounce 15 times a week? They could just do it so much better .
    On a side note great to see Johnno’s new do and conceding finally to male pattern baldness
    Agree with that. I do wonder what the costs would be in bringing coverage of state/junior football and if it would rate better than repeats of their prime time shows from the night before (I'd hope more people would watch it but many people are... less discerning than some of us here)