Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Second test - Australia v India, Perth

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jokes aside, how does Shaun Marsh keep getting test selections?

In all seriousness there is no non joke answer to that question.

I loved Paine's elite honesty to the square leg umpire "you weren't even looking mate"
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jokes aside, how does Shaun Marsh keep getting test selections?
    It's because his best looks pretty good. The selectors aren't interested in consistency as they should be.

I wonder what other batsman might be considered for that spot?
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Finch off to hospital. Imagine that hand is broken
    Could be goodbye Boxing Day Test
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's because his best looks pretty good. The selectors aren't interested in consistency as they should be.

I wonder what other batsman might be considered for that spot?
    I just checked his numbers. Only 2 centuries in the last 19 test matches. That's the epitome of consistency . If a player wants to show you they're not at the level, it's best to believe him so most Australians (exc. selectors) would say. It's not as if he can bowl handy overs or add a great deal of anything else.

I'd have anyone else in that spot. The trouble is that if Finch is out now, the selectors won't be brave enough to drop a player badly underperforming.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

That's the dumbest shot I've seen in a while. Implosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Travis Head is a concern. He averages 34 pretty much in all formats of the game. He has a horrible conversion rate in 1st class cricket 7 hundreds and 34 fifties. At times he looks like he has all the attributes of a Test cricketer and yet he finds ways to get out, mainly through poor control of the ball on the offside. Out twice to a deep 3rd man in this test, that is very poor.
    Handscomb just has a shocking technique that is always going to see him get tangled up on his crease.
    It is going to be interesting as to what kind of target is enough on this deck. Reckon 250 would be a challenge- but i reckon this Indian team is up for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Travis Head is a concern. He averages 34 pretty much in all formats of the game. He has a horrible conversion rate in 1st class cricket 7 hundreds and 34 fifties. At times he looks like he has all the attributes of a Test cricketer and yet he finds ways to get out, mainly through poor control of the ball on the offside. Out twice to a deep 3rd man in this test, that is very poor.
    Handscomb just has a shocking technique that is always going to see him get tangled up on his crease.
    It is going to be interesting as to what kind of target is enough on this deck. Reckon 250 would be a challenge- but i reckon this Indian team is up for it.
    It's been a while since I've seen someone overcome leadfeet like Head has against spin and go on to have a good career. Matthew Hayden had his struggles early on with his footwork (or lack of) but went to India to practice against the best spinners in the world and worked hard to overcome them. I don't know that Head has the ability to overcome his problems. A quick eye, quck reflexes and good hand/eye coordination will only take you so far, at some stage you will need a technique.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Really impressed with Jasprit Bumrah; India have found a real fast bowling talent. Deceptively quick off an otherwise innocuous run in. He's very accurate for someone who consistently hits mid 140's. Just builds pressure and always invites batsmen to take risks if they want to score off him. And unlike Kohli, seems a very humble and amiable guy, but with a real steely resolve.

9. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really impressed with Jasprit Bumrah; India have found a real fast bowling talent. Deceptively quick off an otherwise innocuous run in. He's very accurate for someone who consistently hits mid 140's. Just builds pressure and always invites batsmen to take risks if they want to score off him. And unlike Kohli, seems a very humble and amiable guy, but with a real steely resolve.
    He's very impressive. A short run up that generates excellent pace and bounce.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I like him a lot. That short run up and shoulder heavy action disguises some handy pace and he skips it really quickly off the pitch which gives the batsmen even less time to decide what to do.

I don't mind this Indian team. There are less hysterics and they play their cricket hard.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Handscomb was awful today. For all the criticism of Head and his poor shot selection, he is ahead of Handscomb who just looks all at sea. The ball that got him today was a good nut. Good technique would have seen a straight forward defensive , with bat and pad close together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Handscomb was awful today. For all the criticism of Head and his poor shot selection, he is ahead of Handscomb who just looks all at sea. The ball that got him today was a good nut. Good technique would have seen a straight forward defensive , with bat and pad close together.
    Handscomb, would surely have played himself out of the team. The dismissal was so much like the trouble he had against England.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Handscomb, would surely have played himself out of the team. The dismissal was so much like the trouble he had against England.
    Yep agree. For all the talk of changing technique and making technical adjustments, it hasn't worked. He hasn't looked comfortable all series and you would say Perth and Adelaide are the 2 benign wickets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Yep agree. For all the talk of changing technique and making technical adjustments, it hasn't worked. He hasn't looked comfortable all series and you would say Perth and Adelaide are the 2 benign wickets.
    Needs to be put back to the Shield and left alone for a few seasons. That's the issue with having such little batting depth - as soon as someone shows some okay form, they're slung back into the side. It's put him a few steps back again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Needs to be put back to the Shield and left alone for a few seasons. That's the issue with having such little batting depth - as soon as someone shows some okay form, they're slung back into the side. It's put him a few steps back again.
    I think I disagree.
    It hasn't put him back so much as exposed a serious weakness in his game.
    He needs to change how he bats if he is to be a test player.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured