Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Player X will have a great year in 2019

Which player(s) do you think will have a great year in 2019 beyond previous seasons?

I reckon Dunkley and Schache will have breakout years - apparently in great nick. Schache has put on some muscle too.

Of the new guys, Smith is the obvious one but Cavarra looks fully developed and ready to go. Hungry for it too.

Thoughts?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player X will have a great year in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Which player(s) do you think will have a great year in 2019 beyond previous seasons?

I reckon Dunkley and Schache will have breakout years - apparently in great nick. Schache has put on some muscle too.

Of the new guys, Smith is the obvious one but Cavarra looks fully developed and ready to go. Hungry for it too.

Thoughts?

I'm with you. Dunks and Big(ger) Josh will have huge seasons. Josh will kick plenty of goals and Dunks will clear the path to give his fellow mids lots of time and space to get creative.

I also think we will install a back six and get them used to playing with each other over the next season. Naughton/Cordy in the key defensive roles with Roberts as cover, Morris as the floater/lock down and Duryea, Crozier, Wood, Richards and Suckling as the runners out. Pick six of them and stick with them.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there a couple of similar threads DR but Schache, Williams and Dunkley could easily get to another level.

I'd like to also see further development in Lipinski, Gowers and Lynch who all got noticed this year along with Naughton and Richards
    Around the fringes of having a breakout year could be English and Young as well

It's so important that our match committee has a youth policy to consider with selections each week

West, Smith and Cavarra the most likely from the players drafted this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think there a couple of similar threads DR but Schache, Williams and Dunkley could easily get to another level.

I'd like to also see further development in Lipinski, Gowers and Lynch who all got noticed this year along with Naughton and Richards

Who is going to be the best first year draftee G?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Who is going to be the best first year draftee G?
    Very hard call I'd say, if Smith was fit now I'd have him in front but West and Cavarra both have strong claims. Lets go with West

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski, Gowers and Naughton for me, from what I've seen of pre-season and training I think these are the boys to keep an eye on.

Best first year draftee? West or Smith, leaning more West as I think he might surprise people with what he can do.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

It's so important that our match committee has a youth policy to consider with selections each week

What’s your rationale on Young’s potential for a break out year?

I don’t get to training sessions, but I haven’t seen or heard anything on him since his stint in 2017. Know he’s put on size, just wondering if there is any other reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    What’s your rationale on Young’s potential for a break out year?

I don’t get to training sessions, but I haven’t seen or heard anything on him since his stint in 2017. Know he’s put on size, just wondering if there is any other reason?
    We don't have a lot of depth for KP defenders so if he can get a bit of a role and make the most of his chances he could take a step forward. The thing about Young is that he is a good intercept mark and that he is very quick for his size and these are traits KP defenders require. If he can add another 10 games to his tally in 2019 I think it would be regarded as a very good season for him

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that Young is training with the forwards - is this true?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I read somewhere that Young is training with the forwards - is this true?
    Hi DR, I mentioned in a post after watching an open training session that Young was training in a small group that included Lipper, Richards and Greene. The possible conclusion I drew at the time was him training with our more acknowledged forwards and therefore maybe moving forward in 2019(?). In retrospect, the training drill may have had him as the 'defensive' component of the drill instead. I think it might be a case of 'watch this space' over the pre-season re Young.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

11. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Libba is in for a big year. He looks in great shape and by all reports he is working hard on the track (hence his great shape). He was super important in 2016 which was the following year from doing his knee. If that is any indication of how he might respond from this knee reco then it's a good sign.

I also think the Bont is due for a big year. Again, after 2016 finals series, especially against Hawthorn when he made Hodge look too old and too slow, I thought the Bont would be rated the number 1 player in the comp by now, but he has plateaud and even regressed a little. The good thing is he's still a pup but should be on the verge of a big season with natural maturity and games experience. He done a mini boot camp with Dunks in the States over his break which shows commitment and determination to be fitter and hopefully better.

I have chosen some low hanging fruit so to speak but Libba and Bont are two that are in for a big 2019 IMO.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont & Dunks had a solid pre-pre-season and both look set to start 2019 the way they finished 2018.

Schache leading all the running drills for the big blokes apparently.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Lynch and Young

Post Thanks / Like

Bont. He's battled a bit over the last few seasons - next year's the one he dominates.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a feeling about Williams on ball. He is skillful, brave and quick. Also Gowers doesn't need to improve that much to be elite!!!