Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

4K Foxtel and AFL Games

So it seems like Foxtel and Fox are set to broadcast about 20-30 AFL games next year in full 4K to those with the IQ4 box, has / is anyone upgrading to take advantage of this? And thoughts about the upgrade?

It's a noticeable difference going from channel 7 to Fox, it almost makes the free-to-air broadcast unwatchable, I'd like to think the further upgraded resolution would make watching even better.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4K Foxtel and AFL Games

I have the 4k box and watch the cricket and it is crystal clear.

You will need to have a 4k TV as well if you are going to to upgrade.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    So it seems like Foxtel and Fox are set to broadcast about 20-30 AFL games next year in full 4K to those with the IQ4 box, has / is anyone upgrading to take advantage of this? And thoughts about the upgrade?

It's a noticeable difference going from channel 7 to Fox, it almost makes the free-to-air broadcast unwatchable, I'd like to think the further upgraded resolution would make watching even better.
    I don't have HD on Fox so 7HD is much better than SD Fox for me. Is Fox HD that much better than 7HD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't have HD on Fox so 7HD is much better than SD Fox for me. Is Fox HD that much better than 7HD?
    I believe 7HD is 720p whilst FOX HD is 1080p, on my 4k TV I notice a very noticeable difference switching between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I believe 7HD is 720p whilst FOX HD is 1080p, on my 4k TV I notice a very noticeable difference switching between the two.
    Not 100% true. If we just talk footy, then 7HD is broadcast in 1080i. All AFL games are shot and produced in HD by both 7 and Foxtel. That means that all games on Foxtel are HD but things get more difficult with FTA. Basically if the channel it airs on is HD it will be HD, the main difference is the bitrates. 7HD like all FTA HD is starved for bitrate and looks the worst. Foxtel Now looks a little better and traditional Foxtel looks by far the best.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee there are a lot of TVs/screens around these days. I can remember starting work around the time that we won the America's Cup in 1984 and we had a telly actually in the office so we could watch the races. The big problem is you had to be in place at around 4 in the morning to watch the start of the race and then still be ready to start work at 9, work until 5 and stay nice. It wasn't simple. Then the telly disappeared for a couple of months until the LA Olympics started and then it came out again. Nowadays they are everywhere you look.

i had an old tube telly until a couple of years ago when my parents turned up at my front door with a new one. My kids had rung them and said "Nanna, do you reckon you could get us a new telly? This one we've got is crap!'' I could see their point. The graphics were crap with their PS4 for a start.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Gee there are a lot of TVs/screens around these days. I can remember starting work around the time that we won the America's Cup in 1984 and we had a telly actually in the office so we could watch the races. The big problem is you had to be in place at around 4 in the morning to watch the start of the race and then still be ready to start work at 9, work until 5 and stay nice. It wasn't simple. Then the telly disappeared for a couple of months until the LA Olympics started and then it came out again. Nowadays they are everywhere you look.

i had an old tube telly until a couple of years ago when my parents turned up at my front door with a new one. My kids had rung them and said "Nanna, do you reckon you could get us a new telly? This one we've got is crap!'' I could see their point. The graphics were crap with their PS4 for a start.
    Quality sure has come a long way. In Australia we are behind the rest of the world with HD and 4K. The best way to get some 4K content is through Netflix. Foxtel only have the one channel, but I am sure it will expand at some stage.

8K is already here, but your telly needs to be 75" or bigger otherwise there is no benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

It's crazy that 20-30 years ago most people were probably watching a screen around 50cms and were happy if the reception was relatively clear. Now we whinge if it's not 4K on a 75 inch screen!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not 100% true. If we just talk footy, then 7HD is broadcast in 1080i. All AFL games are shot and produced in HD by both 7 and Foxtel. That means that all games on Foxtel are HD but things get more difficult with FTA. Basically if the channel it airs on is HD it will be HD, the main difference is the bitrates. 7HD like all FTA HD is starved for bitrate and looks the worst. Foxtel Now looks a little better and traditional Foxtel looks by far the best.
    Thanks for clarifying mate, pretty sure I'll be going Foxtel IQ4 for the games next season, hopefully we get some Doggy games broadcast in 4k and they make it a permanent thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's crazy that 20-30 years ago most people were probably watching a screen around 50cms and were happy if the reception was relatively clear. Now we whinge if it's not 4K on a 75 inch screen!
    Isn't it?

People won't bother getting out of bed these days if the screen isn't as big as a drive in screen. I know one guy who's screen kind of bends around in the middle. It's hard to explain.

Post Thanks / Like

I've given Kayo a go while the cricket's on and I'll be swapping to it. Been good so far and suits me better and is cheaper

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it?

People won't bother getting out of bed these days if the screen isn't as big as a drive in screen. I know one guy who's screen kind of bends around in the middle. It's hard to explain.
    Curved screen? Pretty popular.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Curved screen? Pretty popular.

Sounds right. I have seen them in the Harvey Norman catalogue I reckon. This one the guy was telling me about sounded pretty big like the size of a small cinema screen.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it?

I've got a 75 inch OLED hanging on the wall of my lounge room, that's 190cm in newspeak. What's really noticeable in HD (I haven't got 4K Foxtel yet because it's only available in satellite and I really like my cable service) is you can pick up detail in the periphery during live sporting events that you could simply never see before. Not just who players are but subtle little blocks, punches, or match ups. It's only a small thing but compared to those old TVs where you could only just make out the player zoomed in the centre of the screen it makes it a more immersive experience.

They probably cost a few $$ more than the basic ones but I think it's worth it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I've given Kayo a go while the cricket's on and I'll be swapping to it. Been good so far and suits me better and is cheaper
    How is the quality?