Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4K Foxtel and AFL Games

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How is the quality?
    Looks good to me. Haven't had the chance to watch a footy match which I do need to test out first before canceling the foxtel. I'll try to test it out tonight and report back.

I'm on NBN though in an area where I don't seem to have the problems other people have reported so it might not be as reliable for people in other areas.

Post Thanks / Like

So I tried to compare the Richmond game at the end of the year between the two platforms. I noticed the Kayo version looked worse and that's because it was only at 720p. After mucking around for a fair while with support to find the cause this was the conclusion

• So for the AFL, the games covered by channel 7 will be streamed in 720p as we take their feed, but the rest of the games will be live streamed in 1080p.

• AH okay. Is this going to be the case going forward?

• Yes, this will be the case.

• Interesting. So it's reduced quality compared to the regular Foxtel coverage?
    • as in I believe they still show the game in 1080 on the box

• Streaming the games is separate to the actual broadcast, so no stream will be at 1080p for those games.

• And this is the case for the coming season at this point?

• Yep it is.
    So channel 7 strikes again to make AFL coverage as poor as possible it seems.

Not sure which way I should go now. Kayo suits me more and looks good in 1080p. 720 is...fine...I guess. Looks worse but is it so bad that I'd pay $10 a month extra and deal with inflexibility of not being able to cancel my subscription over Summer if I want to?

Not as simple as it seemed yesterday now.

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That said the for the Foxtel games I'm not sure I see any difference (which you'd expect being the same quality).

I've also not had any buffering issues on Firefox (did on Chrome when I first started on the cricket)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So I tried to compare the Richmond game at the end of the year between the two platforms. I noticed the Kayo version looked worse and that's because it was only at 720p. After mucking around for a fair while with support to find the cause this was the conclusion

So channel 7 strikes again to make AFL coverage as poor as possible it seems.

Not sure which way I should go now. Kayo suits me more and looks good in 1080p. 720 is...fine...I guess. Looks worse but is it so bad that I'd pay $10 a month extra and deal with inflexibility of not being able to cancel my subscription over Summer if I want to?

Not as simple as it seemed yesterday now.
    I have been wrestling with the worth of Foxtel which I have had for almost 10 years. I have mostly had a full package albeit at a discounted rate (usually by placing a strategic call the cancellation team). With Netflix and Stan our usage has gone from minimal to almost never and my (heavy) AFL viewing would be the only use it would usually get.

I couldn’t really keep justifying the price tag (especially with free AFL live pass via Telstra) and was looking into the Kayo and Foxtel Now options when I came across a thread on a forum somewhere where they mentioned that Foxtel will now let you put your account on hold over the post season. I rang them and sure enough you can either suspend your service or go to a $10 per month skeletal plan (that has a handful of channels from essentials) until you are ready to call up and reactivate/add packages.

Post Thanks / Like

For a short period when I was waiting for my apartment to be completed, I was staying in a building with no Foxtel available and only ADSL for internet, so I signed up to the bare minimum of Foxtel Now ie sports plus one other package. I found the service a little frustrating and that could have been due to the slow download with ADSL ( around 13 mbps). At that stage Kayo wasn't available.

In my new building (since mid September), we have the availability of Foxtel, plus we also have NBN. I am in a trial period where Foxtel have given me everything for free and that time is almost up. Like The Adelaide Connection mentioned, we rarely watch Foxtel these days other than sport and a couple of lifestyle channels. I have an APPLE TV 4K, which allows me to download many apps and I can also access Itune movies if I want to pay as you go.

I will be staying with Foxtel, mainly for sports and the bare minimum of anything else. The 4k channel is a huge part of my decision to stay with Foxtel and not go with Kayo.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I have been wrestling with the worth of Foxtel which I have had for almost 10 years. I have mostly had a full package albeit at a discounted rate (usually by placing a strategic call the cancellation team). With Netflix and Stan our usage has gone from minimal to almost never and my (heavy) AFL viewing would be the only use it would usually get.

I couldn’t really keep justifying the price tag (especially with free AFL live pass via Telstra) and was looking into the Kayo and Foxtel Now options when I came across a thread on a forum somewhere where they mentioned that Foxtel will now let you put your account on hold over the post season. I rang them and sure enough you can either suspend your service or go to a $10 per month skeletal plan (that has a handful of channels from essentials) until you are ready to call up and reactivate/add packages.
    Since I never actually watch anything on Foxtel aside from the sport I use someone else's second box. That costs me $25 a month and I pay another 10 so that they have the digital channels

So unfortunately I'm not sure cancelling/suspending is an option and having to re-order the box every Summer is a bit tedious. It's a good idea though and one I'd take advantage of if I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Since I never actually watch anything on Foxtel aside from the sport I use someone else's second box. That costs me $25 a month and I pay another 10 so that they have the digital channels

So unfortunately I'm not sure cancelling/suspending is an option and having to re-order the box every Summer is a bit tedious. It's a good idea though and one I'd take advantage of if I could.
    It may not work when using someone else’s second box, but they left me with my box even though I suspended the service and told me to ring back when I want it reactivated.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up for those who are existing Telstra customers- they have an offer at the moment where you can get Kayo for 2 months for $5. Link Below.

https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/kayo

If you are a mobile customer the easiest way to do it is via your Telstra 24x7 App- go to Offers>My Offers

I also discovered in this section that I can redeem 24 months of the “Essentials” Foxtel Now pack (which includes Game of Thrones).

Telstra’s service often cops a bit of a lashing and they do tend to be more expensive for mobile plans, but I ended up changing years ago due to constant issues with Optus and Vodafone coverage/data speeds. The coverage has always been good on Telstra and I now get full access to AFL, A League, NRL, Foxtel Now, and now a couple of months of Kayo for $5. Credit where credit is due, this is pretty impressive.
    *The netball is also included, but I haven’t installed the app.