Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeeha, the witch is dead.

So - Steve Hocking is gone. Thanks be to the good lord above. I also finally caught up with the news that Brian Cook is leaving the Cats so here's hoping that the recent success (on and off-field) they have experienced leave with him.

New Operations manager:

1/. 6-6-6 HAS to go. It is dumb. Play an extra behind the ball if you like - it's called a tactic. And all the rubbish about it generating scores have been proven to be RUBBISH...
    2/. Stand!!! Stand! STAND! Rule. It has to go. It is dumb.
    3/. Nominating of ruckman has to go. It is DUMB. And when you're doing that, bring back 3rd man up. Again - it's a tactic. There once was a position called ruck-rover that was revolutionised by one of the most famous names in the game (Barassi) who combined the roles of a ruckman and a rover, competing for knocks AND running...there is nothing wrong with that.
    4/. There is such a thing as holding the ball - and the rules around prior opportunity are CLEAR. Tell the umpires to actually pay some free kicks. And if they can't do it because they are too busy running on the treadmill and listening to their coaches talking to them about 'positioning', get in some people who can.
    5/. (Here's where people are going to want to fight me). Hands in the back was a CLEAR RULE and easy to understand for players and umpires. Bring it back.
    6/. We are half pregnant with deliberate OOB. Bring in last touch between the arcs or dispense with the thing altogether - the rule right now is nothing but an enabler of umpires who want a bit of screen time.
    7/. I could care less about the interchange cap but if there is going to be a number at least make it something that has the potential to impact a game...being allowed 1 change every minute of game time (well, it's 75 right now) is not exactly a limit.
    8/. Bring in a rule that protects the integrity of the Father Son rule and allow clubs to maintain their links to the past.
    9/. The AFLW is a real competition and playing football games in 40 degree temperatures is really (really) dumb. Fix it.
    10/. Funding a secondary competition that runs up and down the entire eastern sea-board is completely ridiculous. Have a 'true' reserves comp or don't - again, being half pregnant and doing whatever the hell it is we are doing right now. There should be a clear plan for T2 footy (and ultimately T3 footy because the bridge between the elite 18's and T2 where winning vs development is a constant issue with players who miss the draft age 19 is often too far) across the country - the WAFL and SANFL leaders need to be consulted of course but ultimately they need to get on board the bus - and it needs to be implemented NOW.

What else have you got???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes hujsh, Mofra, Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yeeha, the witch is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So - Steve Hocking is gone. Thanks be to the good lord above. I also finally caught up with the news that Brian Cook is leaving the Cats so here's hoping that the recent success (on and off-field) they have experienced leave with him.

New Operations manager:

1/. 6-6-6 HAS to go. It is dumb. Play an extra behind the ball if you like - it's called a tactic. And all the rubbish about it generating scores have been proven to be RUBBISH...
    3/. Nominating of ruckman has to go. It is DUMB. And when you're doing that, bring back 3rd man up. Again - it's a tactic. There once was a position called ruck-rover that was revolutionised by one of the most famous names in the game (Barassi) who combined the roles of a ruckman and a rover, competing for knocks AND running...there is nothing wrong with that.
    4/. There is such a thing as holding the ball - and the rules around prior opportunity are CLEAR. Tell the umpires to actually pay some free kicks. And if they can't do it because they are too busy running on the treadmill and listening to their coaches talking to them about 'positioning', get in some people who can.
    5/. (Here's where people are going to want to fight me). Hands in the back was a CLEAR RULE and easy to understand for players and umpires. Bring it back.
    6/. We are half pregnant with deliberate OOB. Bring in last touch between the arcs or dispense with the thing altogether - the rule right now is nothing but an enabler of umpires who want a bit of screen time.
    7/. I could care less about the interchange cap but if there is going to be a number at least make it something that has the potential to impact a game...being allowed 1 change every minute of game time (well, it's 75 right now) is not exactly a limit.
    8/. Bring in a rule that protects the integrity of the Father Son rule and allow clubs to maintain their links to the past.
    9/. The AFLW is a real competition and playing football games in 40 degree temperatures is really (really) dumb. Fix it.
    10/. Funding a secondary competition that runs up and down the entire eastern sea-board is completely ridiculous. Have a 'true' reserves comp or don't - again, being half pregnant and doing whatever the hell it is we are doing right now. There should be a clear plan for T2 footy (and ultimately T3 footy because the bridge between the elite 18's and T2 where winning vs development is a constant issue with players who miss the draft age 19 is often too far) across the country - the WAFL and SANFL leaders need to be consulted of course but ultimately they need to get on board the bus - and it needs to be implemented NOW.

1. Don't agree, happy to keep that.
    2. Agree, pointless addition to the game.
    3. Agree on both.
    4. Yeah
    5. No issues, agree.
    6. Agree, deliberate OOB shouldn't be a thing.
    7. Interchange caps are dumb, let the coaches do what they want.
    8. Yeah.
    9. There should be dedicated AFLW grounds built that are much smaller than 'standard' AFL grounds and it would lead to a much more enjoyable game to watch, as well as providing enough alternative facilities that can be used in conjunction with the AFL season.
    10. Agree completely, the way the VFL is structured at the moment and used as a petri dish for crazy experiments is a disgrace.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Nominating ruckmen is by far the silliest rule we have - the AFL want the game sped up yet deliberately slow it down for no benefit?
    It adds 10 seconds to each boundary throw in which doesn't sound like much but most quarters are no 30+ minutes, up from a few years ago.

Every sport in the world is becoming more streamlined but we are adding things to make the game longer (plus pointless score reviews for obvious calls).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

New Operations manager:

LOVE YOU MJP (well not literally)

Agree with everything - plus

1. Third man up - nothing wrong with it
    2. Taking out feet of player - was introduced as player can't go in feet first - the way it is paid is not correct. I could be on the ground getting the ball and some dumb arse falls over me and gets a free - wrong
    3. Kicking out after a behind - players standing back 25 metres - why? A unique thing in our game is kicking out from goal square - bring it back
    4. Bring back runners for the coach to get a message to players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you almost a 100% apart from number 6.
    Go back to the old ways and and only get a free if it's out on the full.
    Players need to be able to clear a zone without being penalised if it rolls over the line. So I agree with the get rid of it all together.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    So I agree with the get rid of it all together.
    Yeah - one or the other right? It's just so stupid the way it is now.

I forgot one other thing though.

- Goal review.

This needs to be renamed - Goal LINE review. If you're trying to make decisions based on whether a slo-motion replay may or may not show a players finger being bent backwards 40m off the line, well...again - that's just dumb. Use the camera on the line - was it over the line or not? I get it. I think the goal umpires should just figure it out but I get it. Away from the goal-line? It's dumb! The ball is called touch so the players on the line let it go...then review shows it wasn't touched? Then what? We're using the replay to reverse decisions that impacted the actions of players further down the field??? I mean, honestly.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

- Goal review.

This needs to be renamed - Goal LINE review. If you're trying to make decisions based on whether a slo-motion replay may or may not show a players finger being bent backwards 40m off the line, well...again - that's just dumb. Use the camera on the line - was it over the line or not? I get it. I think the goal umpires should just figure it out but I get it. Away from the goal-line? It's dumb! The ball is called touch so the players on the line let it go...then review shows it wasn't touched? Then what? We're using the replay to reverse decisions that impacted the actions of players further down the field??? I mean, honestly.
    All these things you have mentioned have just complicated the game and made it harder to umpire.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

- Goal review.

Yeah, goal line review is much better.

Did it cross the line? Did it hit the post?

That's all we need to know.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

There is too much tinkering with rules.
    It makes fans and players uncertain.

Agree, I really dislike ruck nomination.
    There is too much room for 'He said, wait I said' scenarios.
    In a crowded stadium it's so noisy and so many bodies flying about.
    Sure, lets have pink netball bibs for the ruck.
    Or maybe they carry around green cards?
    How about hats?

Jesus, blow the whistle. Wait the appropriate time, and ball it up.

Essentially, they want to make the ruck contest like basketball.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

New Operations manager:

Or at the same time in the 60's First ruck Schultz Ruck rover Whitten Rover Wee Georgie. All in the Bulldogs team of the Century.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the silliest sights there ever is on a football field is one ruckman going up in a ruck contest all by himself because the opposition ruckman didn't call his name out in time. Ruck nominating is plain ridiculous.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes bornadog, Ghost Dog liked this post