Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne FC

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne FC

With the high profiled additions of Lever and May I'm interested to know the reasons why Melbourne have come from out of nowhere to become a destination club? We made a play for both players and yet were never really in the hunt for their services. Have they just been a lot more proactive with their focus for the trades and getting the jump on other clubs like ours or is there another reason why players are preferring them?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne FC

Location and perception they're and up and coming team.

They paid through the nose for Lever and they lost the "generational" key forward Hogan. Not sure they're a destination club yet, but they sure are more attractive than us at the moment.

3. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they have just targeted the individuals and been very good at selling the dream.

However, they have attracted 2 players who are seen as quality, that both play in the backline.

Does that make them a destination club? What has it done to their salary cap?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Perhaps they have just targeted the individuals and been very good at selling the dream.

However, they have attracted 2 players who are seen as quality, that both play in the backline.

Does that make them a destination club? What has it done to their salary cap?
    That interests me, are they doing something a bit different in selling how good of a club they potentially might be?

Post Thanks / Like

It's the AFL. For whatever reason the AFL are hellbent on making Melbourne a big club. They have been sourcing and paying for "quality" people like Roos, Goodwin, Jackson and now Pert on behalf of Melbourne FC for a few years now. If I were a player manager then I would be pushing my players to the AFL annointed club too. You know they are going to pay more than other clubs and that money is also guaranteed (and I wouldn't be suprised if the Cowboys that run the AFL were augmenting those contracts with a bit of extra cash as well) by City Hall.

That's what I think anyway.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

You might be right TD but the players are still wanting to go there as their preference which will make it easier for them in future negotiations.
    They've drafted well, traded for needs and built a strong list which on top of improved off field results sets them up well for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s an interesting question as Melbourne have been a basket case for so long. I do tend to look at these things in comparison to us. Off the back of 2016 we should’ve been set up beautifully but our 2017 season on and off field became a mess, maybe not financially but as a Club we derailed ourselves in the way we managed situations, and are now fighting our way back.

I do hope that we have addressed some key management voids in Football Operations and Performance, and in Marketing and Communications, and that the individuals overseeing these areas have the skills, wisdom and autonomy to perform at an elite level.

9. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about Lever & May, our backline is elite relative to our forward line

Lynch & Wingard are the ones that would have helped us
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

11. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You might be right TD but the players are still wanting to go there as their preference which will make it easier for them in future negotiations.
    They've drafted well, traded for needs and built a strong list which on top of improved off field results sets them up well for the future.

Have they recruited for needs? I don't think they have. From my POV they have picked up players they don't really need (did they need another key defender this trade period or did they get May because he's a 'name' player?) They are already talking about playing him in the forward line and if they are going to do that then why didn't they just keep the "once in a generation" talent they were gifted in the first place?

To be brutally honest with all the help they have gotten off City Hall they should have had much better onfield results over the last two years. They are a lazy, complacent and entitled club that will never go anywhere until they learn to stand on their own two feet and stop looking for leg ups from the AFL commission every time they are faced with a challenge.

That's what I think anyway. As a matter of interest I was walking out of the ground looking filthy after they had beaten us recently. A Melbourne supporter said to me "cheer up mate, you won a premiership and I would give anything to change spots with you!"

13. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I wouldn't worry about Lever & May, our backline is elite relative to our forward line

Lynch & Wingard are the ones that would have helped us
    Thinking about it I think that Wingard would have just taken the troublesome but talented place that Stringer took on the list. If we'd really wanted him then we would have offered up more than next year's first rounder for him. Lynch would have been sensational but im happy for Boyd and Schasche to develop, I think we are OK for key forwards and they will peak when we come good as a team.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s interesting
    We’ve only linked ourselves to Wingard
    Media have linked us to May and Lever, and May publicly stated he’d go anywhere in Victoria.
    They’re on the up , as they should be after about 5 rebuilds, tanking, and handed a coach and CEO by the league.
    Plus the priority pick, and the over compensation for Frawley and Scully

16. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    It’s interesting
    We’ve only linked ourselves to Wingard
    Media have linked us to May and Lever, and May publicly stated he’d go anywhere in Victoria.
    They’re on the up , as they should be after about 5 rebuilds, tanking, and handed a coach and CEO by the league.
    Plus the priority pick, and the over compensation for Frawley and Scully
    All true and totally unfair that the league gave them handouts in that manner. And I'm still filthy that they got 2 fkn unprecedented first round picks for Scully while we got just 1 (and rightly so as it should of been for everyone) for Ward their walk up captain and most important player for the next 10 years.

Anyway, it certainly is puzzling why they have been more of a destination club than us for sure. Their list however is well positioned across all lines and does look very appealing for potential suitors. Although Hogan is a huge loss and does dampen that appeal slightly IMO. Players of his talent don't come around too often BUT they did finish the season strongly without him so they can cover him.

What is really bizzare that they seem to be more destination than we are is their non existent facilities. And the facilities they do use most of the time are up shit creek in Casey (no offence intended for anyone from that way, but it is a fair drive).

They ought to be a premiership fav in 2019 with that list and if they don't win the flag in the next coupled years is a failure is how I see it.

We on the other hand have built a decent list with no charity from city hall and when we start pushing for the 8 again (which I believe will be 2019) we will be attractive for potential star talent. We are flying off field now and the forecast looks very promising as well. Who wouldn't want to play for the Bulldogs...I for one would!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    What is really bizzare that they seem to be more destination than we are is their non existent facilities. And the facilities they do use most of the time are up shit creek in Casey (no offence intended for anyone from that way, but it is a fair drive).
    Melbourne has put forward a plan to build a training centre over the railway at Jolimont and also take up some of the parkland for an oval. I live across the road and am not too happy about this. However, the East Melbourne Group and been active and have the backing of Martin Pakula to stop the development. They can stay in Casey for all I care.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The real winner in Melbournes trading was Freo. Getting Hogan was mission critical for them, since Pav left they have not recruited well in the forwards department.

All Melbourne has to happen is an injury to McDonald and they are in a world of hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    The real winner in Melbournes trading was Freo. Getting Hogan was mission critical for them, since Pav left they have not recruited well in the forwards department.

All Melbourne has to happen is an injury to McDonald and they are in a world of hurt.

Or McDonald has an ordinary season. I still can't have this "Melbourne will have a successful season because, umm, well surely they are due to have a successful season" it just doesn't work like that.