Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne FC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne FC

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Maybe. The wolves will start baying if they lose to Port. They've dropped some bad games and have had a miracle run with injuries.
    Port away is actually a big test for them. If they win they probably lock in top 2 and put the questions to bed.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if their form decline has coincided with coaches getting more accustomed to the stand rule and the reduction recently in the openness that created?
    Mcdonald had an outstanding start with the ball coming in so fast, allowing him to use his athleticism to maximum advantage but now he seems to be getting caught in congestion and needs to push up the ground more.
    Teams using a +1 at stoppages and counter acting the Lever advantage has really stifled their movement. Means Oliver getting a lot more attention also and he is pivotal for them.

If they can get back to the quicker ball movement we saw earlier from them they will still be a real threat come September considering their healthy list.
    They do look a bit tired.

3. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so conflicted by the Dees, can never get a good read on them.

They are certainly down with 2 poor losses in 3 weeks and lets face it they were a bit lucky vs Essendon.

Run home is Port in Adelaide, Hawks, GC away, Bulldogs, Eagles in Perth, Adelaide and Geelong at GMHBA.

4 very hard matches left, if they split that or better they likely finish top 2. Lose 3 or 4 and they might not even come in the top 4.

Heck lose this week and they are 4th assuming Brisbane beat Saints.

Post Thanks / Like

The Dees are really well drilled and disciplined, but my sudden hesitation over them is from the exact flaw that everyone saw coming playing out in the exact way as to dent their chances.

They cede numbers at stoppages to allow their structure to set up behind the ball, which is fine if your forwards can reliably score once the ball gets put into them off turnover, but they can’t. So in effect what they’re doing is taking away their ability to manufacture goals from stoppages in order to generate movement from behind the play, only to waste those possession chains on a forward line that can’t do anything.

Ben Brown is not the answer, McDonald has reverted to the mean and Pickett has been struggling for weeks. I don’t think they have the personnel to turn it around without totally ruining their structure and therefore their main strength.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I thought of it first I'm just too busy and important to write it out until 4 hours later.

Also I have a like so the market has spoken.
    I'm gonna have a word to that idiot that gave you a like.
    "It's over. It's all over."

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm gonna have a word to that idiot that gave you a like.
    Are you looking at me? I don't see anyone else here
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Every team has a bad few weeks...
    When will we have ours?

Maybe it was the 2nd half vs Richmond & 1st half vs Carlton?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When will we have ours?

If Richmond and Carlton were our down weeks, I'll take that!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When will we have ours?

Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne were in a 5 week block but that also included our win against Port over there and the smashing of St.Kilda in between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne were in a 5 week block but that also included our win against Port over there and the smashing of St.Kilda in between.
    We don't do bad weeks we do bad quarters.

14. Likes jeemak, hujsh, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think they'll work it out and find a better balance between defence and attack. Thursday's game should be a cracker.
    In a typical overreaction, Port are favourites this week.... Port have still beaten nobody in the 8 apart from a close home win v Sydney - and Melbourne's game has stacked up against every top 8 side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The Dees are really well drilled and disciplined, but my sudden hesitation over them is from the exact flaw that everyone saw coming playing out in the exact way as to dent their chances.

They cede numbers at stoppages to allow their structure to set up behind the ball, which is fine if your forwards can reliably score once the ball gets put into them off turnover, but they can’t. So in effect what they’re doing is taking away their ability to manufacture goals from stoppages in order to generate movement from behind the play, only to waste those possession chains on a forward line that can’t do anything.

Ben Brown is not the answer, McDonald has reverted to the mean and Pickett has been struggling for weeks. I don’t think they have the personnel to turn it around without totally ruining their structure and therefore their main strength.
    Good analysis HD.

Melbourne are relying on their backline setup, and forcing turnovers so they can score. So far all their wins have been 5 goals or under, except a 50 point against the Hawks. They are doing just enough to win. No major injuries to date, but if Lever or May go down, there could be some trouble.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    In a typical overreaction, Port are favourites this week.... Port have still beaten nobody in the 8 apart from a close home win v Sydney - and Melbourne's game has stacked up against every top 8 side.
    It's 2nd vs 4th. 4th is at home and 2nd has been poor for 3 weeks. Odds reflect reality here, likely to be a close game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It's 2nd vs 4th. 4th is at home and 2nd has been poor for 3 weeks. Odds reflect reality here, likely to be a close game
    Melbourne are great value at $2.10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Melbourne are great value at $2.10.
    Maybe.

Port have really struggled to contain the big forwards of the top 4-6 teams, but not sure Melb have the firepower to expose them.

Sets up as a line-ball game.