Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Melbourne FC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne FC

Port get Butters back this week. He's a good player.

2. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I wonder if their form decline has coincided with coaches getting more accustomed to the stand rule and the reduction recently in the openness that created?
    I don't disagree...BUT.

The umpires are not officiating it in the same way. Not even close. They call play on so quickly now that the additional run/space that was been created earlier in the year has been largely eradicated...

I still insist it is a stupid rule but if they are going to have it, umpire it. Don't half set it up then call play-on. And the extra scoring early in the year...well, that's gone as well!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

The hype each year around high scoring early in the season only for the frustration of low scoring as the season goes on is as predictable each year as Christmas Day falling on December 25.

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't disagree...BUT.

The umpires are not officiating it in the same way. Not even close. They call play on so quickly now that the additional run/space that was been created earlier in the year has been largely eradicated...

I still insist it is a stupid rule but if they are going to have it, umpire it. Don't half set it up then call play-on. And the extra scoring early in the year...well, that's gone as well!
    It's quite stark the change isn't it. Almost as soon as the player moves now it's play on and the defender is anticipating it.

Wonder why? It's either a watering down derived from some feedback (coaches?) or just too hard to adjudicate or take your pick I guess.

There was an article in the fairfax papers this week re this : https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...05-p586zc.html

They probably wrote it at the start of the season and just had to populate the data for the charts.

7. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what they're saying is that some stats have rebounded from 2020 because quarters are longer again.

Great stuff.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Grantysghost, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to heading along to the Port v Dees on Thursday. Should be a cracker and I think it’s a win-win for us, with maybe a Port win being slightly more favourable.

11. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brown is going to come in a FF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't disagree...BUT.

Your right it's a stupid rule. For it to work how they want they need to make the man on the mark off side. He can only get back involved in the play when the player with the ball disposes of it.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Your right it's a stupid rule. For it to work how they want they need to make the man on the mark off side. He can only get back involved in the play when the player with the ball disposes of it.
    Wash your mouth out with an off side rule in Footy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Wash your mouth out with an off side rule in Footy.
    I know I know but don't blame me blame the stupid rule!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    The thing is the rule change just changes footy and makes it different. With the Stand rule, the players look stupid just standing there while the player with the ball just runs around.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The thing is the rule change just changes footy and makes it different. With the Stand rule, the players look stupid just standing there while the player with the ball just runs around.
    They're peeling off more if they think they're not going to impact a contest and making it hard for an umpire to determine who should be standing the mark as well, and now because of that we're seeing numbers behind the ball again. If it's a free kick on the ground it's a bit different, and one might argue this is where the congestion is likely to start from.

Now if a player infringes perhaps they should be taken out of play and made to stand. If they get beaten in a marking contest normal rules apply, they just can't impede the player with the ball. It'll be netball quick smart!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

In completely unsurprisingly news- Port are no good and don’t perform against good sides.
    Melbourne are a good side.

Port stink of a team that finishes 5th, beats up 8th and then loses badly in week 2.