Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Season Preview: Eight Reasons Why The Bulldogs Can Get Excited in 2019

@GVGjr and @mjp I've enjoyed your conversation/debate over the last few posts it's been entertaining reading your thoughts.
    It will be interesting in Boyd 's case how his game goes with the new rules in place. But if I understand the rules right he will only have some freedom early from a stoppage and its business as usual during the game.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    @GVGjr and @mjp I've enjoyed your conversation/debate over the last few posts it's been entertaining reading your thoughts.
    It will be interesting in Boyd 's case how his game goes with the new rules in place. But if I understand the rules right he will only have some freedom early from a stoppage and its business as usual during the game.
    We can all have differring opinions and I'd like to think MJP and I are capable of debating any differences in the manner we have that hopefully encourages others to join in.

I don't mind players being shuffled around especially when a team is playing poorly so I'm not generally against Bevo trying that although I forgot to mention in an earlier post Biggs to the forward line for a couple of games was another head scratcher.
    I just think that Boyd deserves a chance to make it in the position we recruited him to play and especially given the amount of money we paid him to do it.

He has to take his turn in the ruck but lets not try and turn him into the 1st ruck until we give him another season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I see with the new ruck rule (or is it simply the removal of the stop Luke Darcy rule), is that teams will need to play a competitive ruckman.

Putting a Jong/Dunkley against a Grundy/Gawn will simply have the ruckman take clean possession and deliver to advantage.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

It will make no difference. The ruckman kicking the ball away will still be under pressure and he will be kicking to an outnumbered forward group on most occasions...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It will make no difference. The ruckman kicking the ball away will still be under pressure and he will be kicking to an outnumbered forward group on most occasions...
    Will he?

I would expect the ruckman to handball off a lot to a running mid and delivering forward before the outnumber can occur inside 50. If he can get into the hands of a good user this should generate a lot of scores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Will he?

I would expect the ruckman to handball off a lot to a running mid and delivering forward before the outnumber can occur inside 50. If he can get into the hands of a good user this should generate a lot of scores.
    If it's from a centre clearance the kicker will be delivering the ball into pure congestion, 12 players all in the F50 arc.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes. One tall to 'contest' and 5 players who are all capable at ground level might prove to be the most effective forwardline under the new rules.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If it's from a centre clearance the kicker will be delivering the ball into pure congestion, 12 players all in the F50 arc.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes. One tall to 'contest' and 5 players who are all capable at ground level might prove to be the most effective forwardline under the new rules.
    The players in the forward 50 will have abundant space to lead into. Surely a good ball user will be able to pinpoint a pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The players in the forward 50 will have abundant space to lead into. Surely a good ball user will be able to pinpoint a pass.
    It might happen once per round (out of the 9 games). This is honestly not a big deal...MORE ruckman will try it as the fear of a free kick has been taken away but most often they will hack it forward.

Post Thanks / Like

The Richmond model (which I think they copied off us) of having smaller contested ball winners up forward is gaining more strength.
    Adelaide has a taller set-up that could buck that trend
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the camp that believes Boyd's best position is in the ruck. He was brilliant around the ground in the GF and was able to swing the game our way. Understanding that he has not reached these heights since and therefore the thinking behind him playing as our FF. We also have Trengove, English and Sweet as rucks thus i feel Boyd will play a ruck/ FF with more time spent in the Fwd 50. Noting that he is only 23 and will continue to develop in both roles.

Personally i think he will develop into our leading ruckman in the next two to three years. He seems to best take marks in packs either leading to the ball or at an angle which to me suggests playing around the ground suits this style. In saying that if he is able to develop as a FF it will probably be more beneficial for the team as we clearly lack a dominant key fwd (with Schache still developing).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Richmond model (which I think they copied off us) of having smaller contested ball winners up forward is gaining more strength.
    Adelaide has a taller set-up that could buck that trend
    I think Richmond's model was more necessity than design, with Grigg playing tall. They will play at least two genuine talls with Lynch added to the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    I am in the camp that believes Boyd's best position is in the ruck. He was brilliant around the ground in the GF and was able to swing the game our way. Understanding that he has not reached these heights since and therefore the thinking behind him playing as our FF. We also have Trengove, English and Sweet as rucks thus i feel Boyd will play a ruck/ FF with more time spent in the Fwd 50. Noting that he is only 23 and will continue to develop in both roles.

Personally i think he will develop into our leading ruckman in the next two to three years. He seems to best take marks in packs either leading to the ball or at an angle which to me suggests playing around the ground suits this style. In saying that if he is able to develop as a FF it will probably be more beneficial for the team as we clearly lack a dominant key fwd (with Schache still developing).
    2016 was virtually a different era though - the third man up rule helped cover a multitude of deficiencies in Roughead & Boyd's ruckwork. It's no coincidence that both haven;t performed anywhere near 2016 levels since the change of rules.

English is the future, and with the new congestion rule many teams seem set to play two rucks with one who can spend time forward. Melbourne just nabbed Pruess to partner Gawn, Port grabbed Lycett to partner Ryder, etc.
    Right now Trengove and English look set to be our two with Schache a lock for the leading forward role. Taking into account his interrupted pre-season Boyd is not even a lock for our best 22 this year let alone first ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

...many teams seem set to play two rucks with one who can spend time forward. Melbourne just nabbed Pruess to partner Gawn, Port grabbed Lycett to partner Ryder, etc.
    This is just copy cat footy. West Coast win with 2x rucks, now everyone wants 2x rucks.

Running players win games...Lycett is useful as he gets the ball. Preuss is not 'cos he doesn't.

There isn't really a congestion rule yet...and the bail-out kick from full-back (which needs ruck targets) is no longer as useful as the goal-square has become an irrelevance...

14. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This is just copy cat footy. West Coast win with 2x rucks, now everyone wants 2x rucks.

Running players win games...Lycett is useful as he gets the ball. Preuss is not 'cos he doesn't.

There isn't really a congestion rule yet...and the bail-out kick from full-back (which needs ruck targets) is no longer as useful as the goal-square has become an irrelevance...
    I think you will still need the ruck targets, they will just be 10-15 metres further back. They don’t have to do the kick it to themselves thing now, but the reality is there will still be a man on the mark so, more often than not, is there going to be that much of a differential in metres gained from kick-ins?

Post Thanks / Like

Well...we've been practicing this rule.

With no goal-square as soon as the goal crosses the line you can basically pick up the spare footy and go...the man on the mark (who has to be 5m back) is just not in play.

This is a BIG change to the game - I know it seems trivial when you read about it, in practice it makes a big difference to the speed a ball leaves the zone. The 'down the line' player will be needed for kicks and free kicks from the pockets (or the goal-square of course) but this is usually a simple numbers battle around the bail-out kick and all the team with the ball is 'really' expecting is a boundary throw in 60m from goal (aka get it the hell out of here, reset and live to fight another day).

17. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post