Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  33
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Season Preview: Eight Reasons Why The Bulldogs Can Get Excited in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    But it is a chicken or the egg argument in my opinion. Is it a case of “not a good forward” or are his positioning and timing etc. out because he is so heavily impeded?

I tend to think it is the latter (and lack of opportunity to grow and work through it via forward minutes). I think he needs consistent time in the forward line to try to work through it and maybe we need to jump around to the umpires boss with some edits ala Clarkson.
    One of the things I see about Tom in the forward line is we give him no chance as he is always crowded by lots of opposition players around him. How does that happen?

When was the last time you remember a completely open forward line with Tom one out with his opponent?

We move the ball so slowly sometimes, giving the opposition lots of time to run back and flood which means our forwards don't get a chance. We then proceed to just bomb the ball in and none of the forwards have a chance.

I would like to see quicker ball movement and some precise passing into the forward line. I want to see Boyd leading out and being hit on the chest, and if a spoil comes then some small guys mopping up.

If we do have a flooded forward line, then it is time Boyd used his big frame.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Boyd not playing forward adds to the argument.

I think the “out of position” thing is overdone too, but a couple of high profile moves have built it into folklore.
    Matty Boyd. Played out of position and seemed to go well.
    Seem to recall being pillored by Chops on here once for suggestion Liam Picken would make a good forward. Which he was in Hamilton.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Matty Boyd. Played out of position and seemed to go well.
    Seem to recall being pillored by Chops on here once for suggestion Liam Picken would make a good forward. Which he was in Hamilton.
    3 goals in the GF says a fair bit.

I remember him curling one through from 45m on the boundary back in his first or second year when he was playing as a tagger. That won me over, the guy can play.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    3 goals in the GF says a fair bit.

I remember him curling one through from 45m on the boundary back in his first or second year when he was playing as a tagger. That won me over, the guy can play.
    I remember in his first season where Richmond threw Deledio onto the HBF to break the tag and Picken proceeded to kick two goals against him.

7. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I remember in his first season where Richmond threw Deledio onto the HBF to break the tag and Picken proceeded to kick two goals against him.
    Yep I remember that too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite