Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    4,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Not exactly a great start for the new boys playing Aus A. We're 4/88

    Burns out for 4, Renshaw out for 7, Labuschagne out for 6, Pucovski gone for 23.

    Kurtis Patterson is battling away on 44*.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    4,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Hazlewood out with early stage back stress fractures and Jhye Richardson into the squad.

    I love Richardson's talent, but why not Tremain? He's the best like for like with Hazlewood and I think the two are too similiar to play together.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    24,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Hazlewood out with early stage back stress fractures and Jhye Richardson into the squad.

    I love Richardson's talent, but why not Tremain? He's the best like for like with Hazlewood and I think the two are too similiar to play together.
    I think its a good point you raise. Tremain certainly deserves his chance and that is in no way a knock on Richardson
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    38,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think its a good point you raise. Tremain certainly deserves his chance and that is in no way a knock on Richardson
    Why is it we can see it, all the public can see it yet selectors don't seem to always get it right with these blokes.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Nice innings from Stoinis tonight, very controlled. Couldn't be any worse than the Marshes in the test side
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

    Formerly gogriff

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    EJ Whitten Stand
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Nice innings from Stoinis tonight, very controlled. Couldn't be any worse than the Marshes in the test side
    Stoinis is a big chance for the Ashes squad for mine. Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the shield season. (Assuming it doesn’t clash with his international duties)
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    24,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Stoinis is a big chance for the Ashes squad for mine. Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the shield season. (Assuming it doesn’t clash with his international duties)
    He looks like he should be a good player but in all forms of the game he's not good at working the singles and is very much a block or boundary type batsman. In test cricket I dont think he is quite good enough to make it work.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Not exactly a great start for the new boys playing Aus A. We're 4/88

    Burns out for 4, Renshaw out for 7, Labuschagne out for 6, Pucovski gone for 23.

    Kurtis Patterson is battling away on 44*.
    Two tons in the game - surely Burns or Renshaw (fresh off two failures in the same match) "pulled up sore" and need replacing in the squad.

    Also why do we pick squads for home tests it's unbelievably stupid.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Two tons in the game - surely Burns or Renshaw (fresh off two failures in the same match) "pulled up sore" and need replacing in the squad.

    Also why do we pick squads for home tests it's unbelievably stupid.
    It's an incredibly stupid thing to do. Why limit yourself to a certain amount of players in a home test series. Technically Sri Lanka have access to more players than we have access to (they can fly replacement players in from Sri Lanka). That makes no sense at all to me.


    But then stupid, Cricket Australia, the Australian Cricket Selection committee. Why am I suprised those three things all end up in the same sentence?
    AFLW Premiers 2018

    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.
    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed.
    And I said "Obie, I don't think I can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. "
    "He said, "Shut up, kid. Get in the back of the patrol car. "


    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He looks like he should be a good player but in all forms of the game he's not good at working the singles and is very much a block or boundary type batsman. In test cricket I dont think he is quite good enough to make it work.
    Only 7 4's last night in a score of 70, picked the right balls to attack when others bowed to the pressure to score
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

    Formerly gogriff

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    3,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Two tons in the game - surely Burns or Renshaw (fresh off two failures in the same match) "pulled up sore" and need replacing in the squad.

    Also why do we pick squads for home tests it's unbelievably stupid.
    Patterson has been added to the squad. When they can add whoever they want to the squad it makes picking a squad somewhat redundant.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    4,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Patterson has been added to the squad. When they can add whoever they want to the squad it makes picking a squad somewhat redundant.
    Just making it up as they go...

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    24,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Patterson has been added to the squad. When they can add whoever they want to the squad it makes picking a squad somewhat redundant.
    Its good that they aren't limiting themselves on selection. Patterson is a fine play but at times he's inconsistent.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    4,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    For the first time in a while, I seriously have no idea what the XI will look like come Thursday. The number of combinations and questions are incredible.

    Just a few in my mind are:
    -Do they see Khawaja as an opening bat come Ashes time? If so, what does that mean for Burns and Renshaw?
    -Can they dump Labuschagne after one okay game at 3?
    -Can they call up Patterson late and not play him? And can he jump ahead of the high-profile youngster Pucovski on the back of one Aus A game? Or does it spell the end for Labuschagne?
    -Jhye Richardson is clearly a better bowler than Siddle right now, but can he jump over the man that was next in line (this is the issue with picking 'good blokes' in squads)?

    I have no idea what that final side will look like. My best guess is:
    Burns
    Harris
    Khawaja
    Head
    Patterson
    Pucovski
    Paine
    Cummins
    Starc
    Richardson
    Lyon

  15. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
  16. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Australian test squad v Sri Lanka

    I think they've decided Siddle is going to and playing in England, and will select this team accordingly. If Renshaw had done anything at all in that Aus A game he would've been in the same boat.

    Happy to be proven wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •