Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

All your club wants for Christmas is ...

Twin towers

The Bulldogs have manufactured the rare scenario where their two chief forward targets are No.1 and No.2 draft picks: Tom Boyd and Josh Schache, respectively. Now to get both young men to click together and perform to their enormous potential. If man-mountain Boyd can recapture something approaching his heroic 2016 Grand Final form and Schache can continue his development, the Dogs will have their bark back.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All your club wants for Christmas is ...

It's been a long time since the Dogs have enjoyed the luxury of a genuine key forward and in my life time I can't recall two key forwards.

One can only think the head aches that these two could cause if they can get in sync with each other.

Could we see Boyd at CHF and Schache at FF and rotate during the game.

If we could give them 90% game time with only short stints on the bench can we play two rucks as well or are going too top heavy.

Next season will be very interesting and I'm already hanging out for Dogs footy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Big potential to have a great season. Don’t want to say too much as it’s very early but I have a good feeling going into the upcoming season particularly if injuries are at a minimum.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It's been a long time since the Dogs have enjoyed the luxury of a genuine key forward and in my life time I can't recall two key forwards.

One can only think the head aches that these two could cause if they can get in sync with each other.

Could we see Boyd at CHF and Schache at FF and rotate during the game.

If we could give them 90% game time with only short stints on the bench can we play two rucks as well or are going too top heavy.

Next season will be very interesting and I'm already hanging out for Dogs footy.
    The only time I can remember us even being close to having two key forwards was when we got Simon Beasley in 1982 to play with Templeton but Templeton had done his knee the year before (we had already signed Beazer in 1981) and really only limped through a few more games but the prospect of two Coleman medalist century goalkickers in the same forward line was a mouth watering prospect. Actually I wonder if any other club has ever had two century goalkickers in the same team before? KT and Beasley played a few games together.

Although when I think about it Peter Foster played a fair bit at CHF with Beasley at Full Forward.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Massive upside to those two boys pushing each other. Those two have the potential to draw 2 players each per contest at their best. All hypotheticals , like everything. But if they gel. Man look out.

7. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Big potential to have a great season. Don’t want to say too much as it’s very early but I have a good feeling going into the upcoming season particularly if injuries are at a minimum.
    The fact we’ve gotten through this much of preseason training without losing someone is a mirical. Fingers crossed we head into 2019 with a full uninjured squad.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn Coleman and a very young Chris Grant during 1990-1992 was a surprisingly good set of key forwards at the time.

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Glenn Coleman and a very young Chris Grant during 1990-1992 was a surprisingly good set of key forwards at the time.
    I'd forgotten about that set up. Chris Grant and Danny Del-Re as well from around that time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite confident on Schache beign a long term player at a very high level for us. He just seems to have the tank and workrate. He's not a pack crasher and despite his talk I'm not sure he will be, nor will that be his forte.

Boyd I'm less confident of. He just doesn't seem to have that cocky swagger KPFs do, although he should still be a 'useful' ruck/forward.

Missing here is Tim English - the improvement in his forward craft is very good so he can be dangerous resting there when he's not rucking.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The big issue with this is that our game plan is set up to lock the ball in our half. We rely on source pressure to give our press and interceptors a better chance of winning the ball back. If we play both Boyd and Schache forward and they don’t impact we will get cut to ribbons on the way out.

Given Boyd and Schache battle to apply pressure they would need to be offering an enormous amount offensively to justify keeping them there together. Would be a huge test of our clubs willingness to play the long game from a development sense.

Post Thanks / Like

All I want is for an injury free list.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All I want is for an injury free list.
    That would be great. We have the everyone available to choose from each week.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

My Xmas wish for the 2019 season is a simple one, never lose two games in a row.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My Xmas wish for the 2019 season is a simple one, never lose two games in a row.
    So you wish is for some, all be it non consecutive losses?

I wish for no losses if there's no wish constraints.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So you wish is for some, all be it non consecutive losses?

I wish for no losses if there's no wish constraints.
    I think your in for a good season if your losing streak stops at one.
    At this stage I'll take that. in 12 months I'll be aiming a lot higher
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"