Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Caleb in 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Caleb in 2019

First of all, few players in the AFL are identifiable by just their first name so kudos Caleb you've reached rarified air.

Secondly, what the hell do we do with Caleb in 2019? He played fantastic football behind the ball last year as he has outstanding vision, decision making and balance so he really allowed us to rebound with method.

We seem to have a multitude of players who play their best football behind the ball though:
    - I'm not convinced Wood can play anywhere else (and he's a former AA)
    - Crozier was outstanding in the backline
    - Moz is still a very good medium/tall defender
    - Naughton and Cordy will be the lynchpin talls back there
    - JJ is a much better rebounding defender than wing or forward
    - Suckling seems part of our plans as the guy who can kick deep into (or over) the opposition zone.
    - Lynch played three very good rebounding games there too although his actual defensive work remains a work in progress

That's before we consider we rotated Hunter through there at times and Richards started there as well.

So do we continue with the 'Caleb behind the ball' experiment or does he play predominantly forward? Is he in the pool of 'general utilities' and if so is he good enough to produce high level football while constantly being thrown around the field? Not many players can.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caleb in 2019

Also Duryea is more likely to be a small back than forward I would have thought.

I think Caleb plays his best footy behind the ball and I think that should be his primary position. However with the multitude of options we have back there he will inevitably have to spend time in the midfield and up forward as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Caleb and the dilemna you identify Mofra epitomises where we are at: lots of great developing players now maturing having been played in multiple roles and competing for spots. To me Caleb's plays his best footy behind the ball and is so composed and a good decision maker yet all the players you mention are mainly half backs.
    Play all of them back, leave the forward line open for Boyd, Scache, Lloyd and crumbers and run the ball in waves off half back with men of mayhem is my answer. Be a team of rolling half backs with Caleb as the quarter back distributor.

Post Thanks / Like

Caleb played some great footy in the backline late 2018, but as Mofra says, he is competing for a spot with quite a few players.

I don't see him as a goal sneak, so does he now try to break into the midfield? Can he be an onballer? It is going to be interesting in 2019 where he does end up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind him as a winger who shifts more back than forward to 'clean up' and get our ball movement going. I'm not sure he can consistently play as a defender given his size, as it'd only be time before sides find a way to continually drag him deep but if we want him to play that sweeping role then he can start wing and 'float' more back than forward. With the likes of Hunter/Suckling/Richards also spending time on the wing, they're better suited to more of an attacking mindset - though Hunter has some work to do here as he too is better at 'mopping up' behind play.

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking about Caleb this off-season in the exact same way, glad you started the thread Mofra.

I’d like to see him rotate through the middle, wing and back flank. His best footy last year was deep as everyone has been saying, but he was equally as effective in 2016 as that link up player moving through the ground. If he was a foot taller and a meter quicker he’d be a top midfielder in the league. Don’t have the answer but also hope we can find a role for him or multiple roles where his elite decision making and close range disposal can cause an impact as he looked lost a fair bit last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Caleb needs to be a hard running link up player who drives our ball movement with short, sharp passes. He's never going to be line breaking with his speed or zone breaking with his penetration. I didn't mind him spending time in the backhalf and think he can certainly play parts of the game there, but we need line-breakers and penetrating kicks back there too. His size also means he may get exploited from time to time.

I say stick him on the wing where he can help our transition.

9. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit perplexed with where we should play Daniel. I thought he had a poor 2018 season until late into the second half of the season.

I don't see how we can play him as a defender given the depth we have there and I think he has to be more of a midfield player for us this year.

He's a hard player for me to work out where he should actually play. Every time I look at our best 22 I seem to find a spot for him on the interchange bench
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think Caleb is suited to playing as a midfielder who plays mostly behind the ball to get back and help the defence. He really needs to be one of the players entrusted to bring the ball forward, but without depending on him actually defending.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how the changes to the ruck will affect the midfield setup this season.
    There may be a greater need this season to focus on stopping the opposition’s midfield elite who may benefit most from this change.

Caleb’s has had some success as a role playing defensive mid, and coupled with his smarts to link up play this may be where he is best suited.

Post Thanks / Like

CD & Bont should be delivering inside 50
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It's frustrating; Caleb looked like a new man playing as the defensive distributor and ideally we'd keep him in that position. Sadly our ideal defensive six is pretty set and we'd probably rather Suckling in that role as well. Suckers probably only has another year or two left in him but we can't just wait for ages for Caleb to play that role.

Post Thanks / Like

I like him starting outside of the centre square but basically playing as a running midfielder in general play. From what I recall he delivered excellent VO2 max results in his draft year, if his constant running ability is a strength then we need to make the most of it, and see if he can get multiple involvements in chains of play carrying the ball forward.

As TBB said, playing as a starting or more permanent defender will see teams figure out how to expose his lack of height.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I like him starting outside of the centre square but basically playing as a running midfielder in general play. From what I recall he delivered excellent VO2 max results in his draft year, if his constant running ability is a strength then we need to make the most of it, and see if he can get multiple involvements in chains of play carrying the ball forward.

As TBB said, playing as a starting or more permanent defender will see teams figure out how to expose his lack of height.
    From memory, I think he recorded a 16.4 in the now redundant beep test.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"