Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

The Forgotten Men, 2019 edition

We've had lots of hype about our new draftees, traded guys etc, but what about the forgotten guys still on the list?

How do you see Dale, L Young, R Smith, Roberts, Webb, Porter, Greene and Lynch going in season 2019?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Forgotten Men, 2019 edition

Greene was statistically very effective at the back end of 2018 (marks inside 50 & shots on goal ave) but has increased competition now with Lloyd and Caverra and potentially a fit Dickson and Dale added to the mix.

I don't see it with Webby although promisingly he's out of his brace now.
    Young is a baby in development terms so no rush. Porter has the right attitude at least and again is a baby.

Lynch is the interesting one. He has flaws in his game but by god his attributes are fantastic - pace, evasiveness and kicking skills (some say the best at the club). He has filled holes everywhere and I suspect he'll get opportunities to try multiple positions at VFL level so he's ready to fill more than one role at AFL level.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lynch came within a bee's sick of snatching a memorable win against Richmond. I like the way he takes the game on.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm optimistic about Dale, Young and Lynch in 2019, as I perceive them to have some "A" level attributes. If they make some steps, they can become contributors. The others I see as needing the cards to fall their way. They may have an impact, but they have more players to pass and/or seem further back.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale, for mine, is the interesting one. He showed potential in 2017 but tapered off last year (mainly due to injuries). Fully fit I hope he can cement a spot as he has space, seems quite evasive and can kick goals. There is definitely some stiff competition for the positions he will play in but hope he can put himself in the mix.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Lynch came within a bee's sick of snatching a memorable win against Richmond. I like the way he takes the game on.
    Agreed, he has great potential.

Post Thanks / Like

I too hope that Bailey Dale is fully over his injuries and can show some of the dash we saw in '17.

One who's not been mentioned in this list yet is Jongy; he's had an incredibly foul run of ill-timed injury the last couple of years.
    He deserves to have a decent run, though I've not noticed any comment or shots of him in this current pre-season. Any opinions on his prospects? I'd like to see him shine, he really puts in at his best.

12. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insufficient Intent View Post
    I too hope that Bailey Dale is fully over his injuries and can show some of the dash we saw in '17.

One who's not been mentioned in this list yet is Jongy; he's had an incredibly foul run of ill-timed injury the last couple of years.
    He deserves to have a decent run, though I've not noticed any comment or shots of him in this current pre-season. Any opinions on his prospects? I'd like to see him shine, he really puts in at his best.
    Jong is hard to get a read on. He's been one Bevo has played when fit, so he's got to be in the mix. He's quick, he can take an overhead mark and while his kicking isn't great, he's OK from the limited viewing of set shots over the past few years. I'm not sure he beats out Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, McLean, Smith, etc as a primary midfielder, but I'd be interested in seeing his pace and overhead ability in a similar role to Wally.

14. Thanks Insufficient Intent thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young and Bailey Dale are two players that offer us a huge upside on their 2018 performances plus have not yet played to their true abilites
    While it's hard to see exactly where they fit in this year, they both offer us tremendous depth and huge upside.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dale and libba for me are the players most likely to stand out from their 2018 form for obvious reasons. Both can make real impact if they return to their best.

Dale a genuine high forward that appears to be able to slit goals from anywhere inside the 50 consistently.

And Libba, well nuff said, but his tackling and inside work could negate a long season w a young ruckman...