Thanks Thanks:  80
Likes Likes:  63
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injury List - 2019

It's concerning that Bailey Smith's achilles is classified as chronic. I'm not medical but chronic sounds serious. Googled it and treatment has 25% failure. I'm sure club has done due diligence but I'll be thrilled when he gets the all clear with no more implications.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.opnews.com/2015/12/treatm...orders-2/11808
    Hope he doesn't have a painful fusiform or a Haglunds deformity!

Post Thanks / Like

There are injuries and what I call 'injuries or 'on-going injuries'. The latter are by far more troubling because they stop a player getting a run at it. Accumulated match fitness is a precious thing. It does wonders for a players confidence. The news about Tom Boyd's back is not good
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

It's only January and we're looking at Boyd missing a big chunk of the season. I heard could miss Round 1 yesterday so judging by how we assess injuries he'll miss most of the season if not all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's only January and we're looking at Boyd missing a big chunk of the season. I heard could miss Round 1 yesterday so judging by how we assess injuries he'll miss most of the season if not all of it.
    Ongoing back issue puts big Dog in R1 doubt

A LINGERING back complaint continues to hamper Western Bulldog Tom Boyd's pre-season, placing his start to the season in doubt.

Boyd has failed to train alongside teammates in the main group over the past two days as he works through symptoms from the injury that ended his 2018 campaign after round 18.

The 23-year-old, who is preparing to enter his fifth year of a multi-million dollar, seven-year deal at Whitten Oval, has been confined to his own individual running program.

Combined with light duties during last week's training camp in Mooloolaba, Boyd's lack of high-intensity conditioning has put his hopes for round one action in jeopardy.

Premiership teammate Liam Picken remains on restricted contested duties, despite completing a large bulk of ball work with teammates on Tuesday.

Picken hopes to play again for the first time since suffering a nasty concussion in last year's JLT Community Series that ruled him out for the entire season.

Exciting draftee Bailey Smith has increased his training output after a modified start to the summer coming off an Achilles concern.

Smith will be hoping to form a midfield partnership with Tom Liberatore, who is on track for round one after a month of full training.

Lukas Webb, who last month trained for the first time without his neck brace since July, also trained strongly on Tuesday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Dry Rot, Doggy, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picken apparently still experiencing bad headaches.

My Prediction - may pull the pin.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken’s future cloudy with Western Bulldog still suffering from headaches

The future of Western Bulldogs forward Liam Picken remains unclear, with the premiership player revealing he is still experiencing headaches more than 11 months on from his most recent concussion.

Picken has not played since being knocked out in a marking contest during a pre-season match against Hawthorn on March 3 last year and is still yet to take part in full training.

The 32-year-old told the Herald Sun yesterday the debilitating headaches were yet to go away and would not say whether he expected to return to the field this year, only that he had his “fingers crossed”.

“I’m hoping to get better and then all things to fall into place,” Picken said.

“I’m still getting headaches. That’s the main issue, so I’ve got to work through them and just continue get better and get rid of the headaches.

“I’m still on the sidelines (for training) just trying to work through that and I’ll be guided by the medical experts and just follow their advice.”

Asked if the headaches had improved in recent months, Picken said “I don’t want to get into the technicalities, I just want to focus on getting better”.

Picken, who attended the Bulldogs’ training camp on the Sunshine Coast last month, said he had enjoyed what training he had been able to complete and there was a good vibe around the club that the side could bounce back after finishing 13th last year.

“It’s been really enjoyable to do pre-season and have a bit of fun with the boys and that,” he said.

“Training’s been really good and everyone’s really positive. We’ve got a lot of new guys and I think everyone’s really hopeful for the year ahead. It’s exciting.”

Picken, who helped launch the Premier’s Active April alongside wife Annie Nolan and son Malachy today, said his family had been key in helping him through his difficult time.

The couple also have two other children, five-year-old twins Delphi and Cheska.

“Annie and the family’s been so good,” Picken said.

“It’s always good to get home from training and have a bit of fun as a family. I think the support of your family is always key.”

Picken, who has played 198 AFL games, is out of contract at the end of this year.

The Bulldogs meet Gold Coast Suns in their first pre-season match in Mackay on March 3.

9. Thanks Eastdog, Doggy, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Picken apparently still experiencing bad headaches.

My Prediction - may pull the pin.
    May be the best thing for him to do. Picko has had a great career and has won a premiership with us so now his health should take precedence. Would love to see him out there again but not if it impacts his health. He is one of the toughest in the league.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Liam has a tough decision, he obviously wants to get back on the field again but he must also think about his health long term. I would love to see him back in this years GF replicating his two last quarter goals of the 2016 GF. I’ve watched that last quarter countless times and his 2 goals still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, enough.

I get indulging the ambitions of a club champ who's as determined as they come but if a year on he continues to suffer symptoms and can't adequately train as a result, truly what else is there to consider?

Find him an offseason role to remain involved if that's what he wants and let him plan for the rest of his life.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Thanks Daughter of the West, KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam, with continuing headaches after a year, it's a no brainer.
    A forever memory will be you suspended in space taking that grab on the way down when the Premiership was one the line. You more.than any expressed the Bulldog spirit.

15. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ injured

NORM Smith medallist and Western Bulldogs dasher Jason Johannisen will be out of training indefinitely as he deals with an ankle injury sustained at training on Friday morning.

Johannisen, 26, was hurt in a tackle at Whitten Oval.

The club said in a statement it doesn't know how long he will be out for and plan on releasing a more accurate timeline in the coming days.

Johannisen was declared best on ground in the 2016 Grand Final win over Sydeny.

He lined up in every match last season and is a member of the Dogs' leadership group.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Saying it’s a syndesmosis injury. Imagine we won’t see him till after Easter if that’s the case .
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

18. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    JJ injured

NORM Smith medallist and Western Bulldogs dasher Jason Johannisen will be out of training indefinitely as he deals with an ankle injury sustained at training on Friday morning.

Johannisen, 26, was hurt in a tackle at Whitten Oval.

The club said in a statement it doesn't know how long he will be out for and plan on releasing a more accurate timeline in the coming days.

Johannisen was declared best on ground in the 2016 Grand Final win over Sydeny.

He lined up in every match last season and is a member of the Dogs' leadership group.

Sigh. And so it begins ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

20. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Step up Richards. Although JJ gets a lot of metres gained and can look quite brilliant he does have a tendency to turn the ball over and undo his good work.
    I want JJ in the side but we do have some options to cover.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...