Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Footy arrogance

Post Thanks / Like

Footy arrogance

I guess you need to be a fairly confident person to be a successful footy person let alone a superstar and AFL footy has even had its share of people that exude arrogance.

Over the years has there been a footy person that really strikes you as an arrogant so and so and ind that you wouldn't really want to meet?

I have a couple of ex star players and coaches that really grate me becuase they are so arrogant but I'd really likd to hear from others before I nominate mine. Remember they can be a coach, player or commentor.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy arrogance

Matthew Knights always annoyed me, just something about his body language irked me.
    Wayne Carey an obvious one.
    T Greene the current undisputed and unified champ.

Post Thanks / Like

Dustin Martin.
    His one hand push offs which quite a few appear to be head high that get largely unpunished and when does he gives the ump a look of you got it wrong.

He gives the persona of a fairly confident person and maybe ego to match. I've never met him and don't really want too.
    May be the nicest guy under the sun from outside looking in he exude arrogance.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess you need to be a fairly confident person to be a successful footy person let alone a superstar and AFL footy has even had its share of people that exude arrogance.

Over the years has there been a footy person that really strikes you as an arrogant so and so and ind that you wouldn't really want to meet?

I have a couple of ex star players and coaches that really grate me becuase they are so arrogant but I'd really likd to hear from others before Inominate mine. Remember they can be a coach, player or commentor.
    Add arrogant commentator to arrogant ex player and coach and you could be describing Leigh Matthews. He really thought that his shit didn't stink, I saw several people say hello to him at the football and he would just blank them. I even sawone bloke say hello, Matthews ignored so the bloke stepped across (maybe thinking that he hadn't heard him) in front of his and Matthews turned his head away and stepped around him. I don't know how the bloke restrain himself, if he'd done it to me I'd have decked the little *!*!*!*!-and then probably have leant over and yelled something like "that's for Barrie Robran" in his face. But I can be a bit of a psycho sometimes!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Dustin Martin.
    His one hand push offs which quite a few appear to be head high that get largely unpunished and when does he gives the ump a look of you got it wrong.

He gives the persona of a fairly confident person and maybe ego to match. I've never met him and don't really want too.
    May be the nicest guy under the sun from outside looking in he exude arrogance.

I get the opposite from Martin. I don't like him but to me he looks like a scared kid rather than arrogant turd most of the time. And the look he gives the umpire is more "I don't understand what just happened" rather than "you got that one wrong"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The whole of GWS.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Two Dogs named my first but Alister Lynch is a close second I just can't forgive that choking gesture it irks me to this day !!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

9. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My first nomination is Malcolm Blight. Star player, successful coach he but loves nothing more than talking about how good he was.
    I find it very hard to listen to him now but in fairness he's been full of himself for years and from memory he gave one of the more self absorbed Brownlow medal acceptance speeches. The word was that he was tipped off before hand that he had won it and with a bit of advanced notice he didn't miss praising himself.

Michael 'Mick' Mallthouse last several years in the media have been so self absorbed its painful to listen to him. The fact that he still hasn't shaken off the way he departed Collingwood shows that he thinks he is bigger than the game and he is owed something.
    He was the 'my way or the highway' type coach but his media career hasn't softened him and I don't think he can easily share the spot light.

It's a shame because Mick deserves to be remembered in a better light rather than being bitter and arrogant.

11. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every Essendon fan born in the 1980s & 1990s...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul Roos - holier than thou pseudo science worshiping moron who was credited with turning the Dees around before he even walked through their door. Alleged footballing mastermind who couldn't think of anything better to do with a team that had Barry Hall, Adam Goodes and more money than everyone else than to flood stoppages and play listless boring footy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Grant Thomas

16. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Paul Roos - holier than thou pseudo science worshiping moron who was credited with turning the Dees around before he even walked through their door. Alleged footballing mastermind who couldn't think of anything better to do with a team that had Barry Hall, Adam Goodes and more money than everyone else than to flood stoppages and play listless boring footy.
    The adds for his podcast are real annoying and smug too

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Paul Roos has always been extremely fond of Paul Roos in a kind of sickly way.

What pseudo science is he into (apart from believing his own bath water gives him super powers)?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it Roos or his disciples? I agree he receives more credits for things in progress than completed but I don't find him to be genuinely arrogant. If others are talking him up I don't necessarily hold that against him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, Paul Roos has always been extremely fond of Paul Roos in a kind of sickly way.

What pseudo science is he into (apart from believing his own bath water gives him super powers)?
    He got his wife put on to the Dees staff as a "mindfulness consultant" for around $500k a year (allegedly).

Take a look at this shit - https://www.tamiroos.com
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -